Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
wax question

I waxed my car today and the hood feels rough, the rest of the car is smooth. Did I do something wrong? Please advise on fixing the rough hood. Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Did you clay bar? Hood will catch more contaminants than the other body panels

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Did you clay bar? Hood will catch more contaminants than the other body panels

Ryan
THIS
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
I used mothers fx synwax
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I'd lay some clear plastic under the hood and close it and dawn wash the hood and let the plastic protect the other waxed area's. clay the hood and rinse. reapply wax. but that is me, you could always just rewax the whole car after dawning but that is alot of extra work. Did the plastic thing on another car I had many years ago. just my two cents!~

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
I was wondering about the whole clay thing. I'm from way back and have never clayed a car. I am afriad of screwing up the car, is that even possible with clay. I want nothing but the best for Natasha so a little advice would be very helpful. I have watched some of the videos and it looks simple but I always end up on the wrong end of assume.
Does it take the place of compound?
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I was wondering about the whole clay thing. I'm from way back and have never clayed a car. I am afriad of screwing up the car, is that even possible with clay. I want nothing but the best for Natasha so a little advice would be very helpful. I have watched some of the videos and it looks simple but I always end up on the wrong end of assume.
Clay barring a car is super easy and safe for the paint. It's pretty idiot-proof. You will be amazed at what contaminants are pulled off the paint and how silky smooth your paint will feel after a clay bar treatment. Think of it as 8000 grit sandpaper.

DO IT!

BTW - I'm sorta from way back too.
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Just make sure to use plently of spray lubrication and you will be fine.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooG View Post
Clay barring a car is super easy and safe for the paint. It's pretty idiot-proof. You will be amazed at what contaminants are pulled off the paint and how silky smooth your paint will feel after a clay bar treatment. Think of it as 8000 grit sandpaper.

DO IT!

BTW - I'm sorta from way back too.
he's right, I learned to love clay bars on my last car and I keep a kit on me at all times. there's only One rule DON'T drop the clay, you can't get trash out of the clay and will have to toss it.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
No. Clay bar is used to remove comtaminates from the surface of your car where compond is used to remove scratches. Polishing will also remove scratches, but most componds are usually paste and are not usually as popular with this group as polishes (usually a 2-3 step process)

I would suggest videos from Adams polishes (adamspolishs.com), Autogeeks and Autopia. Todd from Autopia is a regular here on this formum and has some of the best write ups on detailing around.

That said, if you're not that familar, do some homework until you are comfortable and give it a go. It's a great way to get to know your car and a helluva stress reliever.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Thanks all for your information. I'll have to see some more videos and do some more reading but it'll have to be soon. Natasha has to go to bed soon for the winter. And I want her perfectly clean before she hibernates.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Clay is probably the best automotive detailing product ever invented. It's so easy to use, there's almost no way to screw up the paint. I can clay a car in decent shape in less than 20 minutes.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
How do I get the little hair line scratches out of the paint. I think they are from drying it with a towel. I just had it detailed last week and now if I look in the right light I can see them..
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
How do I get the little hair line scratches out of the paint. I think they are from drying it with a towel. I just had it detailed last week and now if I look in the right light I can see them..
Polish. If they are super super SUPER fine, you may get away with hand polish. If they are anything more than that, then you will have to use a machine to polish it.

If you want to take the easy way out, buy a glaze. Next time you clay your car, put the glaze on before the wax. It'll mask the scratches by actually filling them in. It's not a permanent nor 100% filling solution, but it does make a car with scratches look better even if the actual condition isn't any better.

It's pretty much what all car dealerships do to make cars look pretty on the lot.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote