Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 10-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #29
CamzillaZ

Drives: Buick GN
Thanks for the reply.

Appreciate your input and contribution to the bowtie (and other) performance community.

Looking forward to additional details and performance combinations you are testing!
CamzillaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #30
AquaSSRS

Drives: formerly a AGM ZL1 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Correct.

A couple things to consider;My car is an auto to the percentage of power loss is 20% vs 15% on an M6.

My 75 Package after retuning made 85 RWHP.

As boost goes up Gas is less tolerant and after viewing the logs and comparing to previous similar packages I am of the opinion this fuel is suspect.

I will be adding torco and retesting next week I have several cars here for tuning that will be taking up the dyno time.

573 RWHP
Great question and answer. I will definitely be interested in the torco differences. It would be nice to have a regular tune for street and a torco tune for the days at the strip.

Ted, is there any power advantage to running without cats? I ask because I have started to smell mine recently and am thinking I am burning them up already. My car is emissions exempt as I don't put over 5000 miles on per year.

Back story for my question. So last weekend my car put down 566hp/518tq. The torque number seems low and was actually lower than when I dynoed it before the pulley where it put down 550hp/522tq. That before number was with CAI, headers, Vmax, and JRE tune. My buddy who also has a ZL1 with the exact same mods (JRE 75hp kit and pfadt headers) put down 580hp/547tq. So I am thinking that I either go a bad tank of gas or my cats are holding me back as you could really smell them on the dyno. We ran back to back on the dyno during a local dyno day. I know each car is different, I was just surprised by the big difference in torque numbers.

Am I correct in thinking the cats could have affected my torque numbers?
Any insight would be great.

Last edited by AquaSSRS; 10-25-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spacing
AquaSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 PM   #31
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Quote:
That header test was done on an LS3 and yes the 2 inch won out.

Supercharged engines react much differently (gain wise) to headers because the supercharger is the dictator on Airflow.

It is harder to note differences in Headers with a blower leading the way.

As long as we reduce exhaust restriction we are creating more efficient package.

Ted.
All true. I was just stating this because people think they lose torque down low by using 2" headers compared to 1 7/8. In your test 2' won all the way from idle to redline. Why I went with 2" right away.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #32
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
so gas is the problem? i mean upping the octane will help about anything.
The Gasoline in the tank is Always the limiter of what we can accomplish on any given day.

The Better the fuel is the better the results of any combination.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #33
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamzillaZ View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Appreciate your input and contribution to the bowtie (and other) performance community.

Looking forward to additional details and performance combinations you are testing!
Your welcome, all this testing will lead to more refined products in the end.

Ted.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #34
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaSSRS View Post
Great question and answer. I will definitely be interested in the torco differences. It would be nice to have a regular tune for street and a torco tune for the days at the strip.

Ted, is there any power advantage to running without cats? I ask because I have started to smell mine recently and am thinking I am burning them up already. My car is emissions exempt as I don't put over 5000 miles on per year.

Back story for my question. So last weekend my car put down 566hp/518tq. The torque number seems low and was actually lower than when I dynoed it before the pulley where it put down 550hp/522tq. That before number was with CAI, headers, Vmax, and JRE tune. My buddy who also has a ZL1 with the exact same mods (JRE 75hp kit and pfadt headers) put down 580hp/547tq. So I am thinking that I either go a bad tank of gas or my cats are holding me back as you could really smell them on the dyno. We ran back to back on the dyno during a local dyno day. I know each car is different, I was just surprised by the big difference in torque numbers.

Am I correct in thinking the cats could have affected my torque numbers?
Any insight would be great.
We recently did back to back testing cats to no cats on a 655 RWHP CTSV we built and there was no change in power on the dyno but the boost was 1/2 lb lower accross the board.

At the Track the car went 10.63 131 from a previous best of 10.83 130 but weather and track conditions can play a roll for sure being a month apart.

Dyno procedures are Crytical in getting repeatable accurate numbers.

It is imperative that logging is going on while dyno testing so we can start at the same Engine coolant, Oil, and IAT temperatures every time.

ECT Oil and IAT 1 and IAT2 all play a roll in protecting the engine on our shitty pump gas so if your IAT is up power will be down to stay out of detonation.

The computer also monitors knock on your given fuel and will learn toward the Low octane table as necessary.

Each time you fuel up the computer resets to the High octane table and starts the process over again.

Ted.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #35
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
All true. I was just stating this because people think they lose torque down low by using 2" headers compared to 1 7/8. In your test 2' won all the way from idle to redline. Why I went with 2" right away.
You are correct I was just stating that PD cars respond differently than NA cars so as not to cause any confusion.

The Sema show is right around the corner

Ted.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #36
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Ted I wanna do, Id850 injectors, Ati damper, rotofab intake and tune ... stock exhaust and headers. what percent lower pulley would you recommend for best results with the above as listed.. 18 percent??
Want good power and great drive ability for the street... would love 580 ish rwhp (manual tran)
Thanks...

Also sorry I never got back to you and Kris last week. I got to busy with life and being undecided with mods. My plan is still to try and get up there before the dreaded winter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #37
CRTZL1
Banned

Ted I Pm'd you as Well.. ty

Old 10-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #38
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
Ted I wanna do, Id850 injectors, Ati damper, rotofab intake and tune ... stock exhaust and headers. what percent lower pulley would you recommend for best results with the above as listed.. 18 percent??
Want good power and great drive ability for the street... would love 580 ish rwhp (manual tran)
Thanks...

Also sorry I never got back to you and Kris last week. I got to busy with life and being undecided with mods. My plan is still to try and get up there before the dreaded winter.

Yes 18% with Headers and injectors.

No worries we are not going anywhere, been here 28 years and will be here at least as many more.

Ted.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #39
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Yes 18% with Headers and injectors.

No worries we are not going anywhere, been here 28 years and will be here at least as many more.

Ted.
Ted I think you misunderstood me. I do not wanna do the headers, at least not right now (don't want a louder exhaust)... can I still use the 18 percent pulley without the headers..
My plans were.....
18 percent pulley
Id850 injectors
Ati damper
Rotofab
new plugs
your tune

I realize this is different from the package I originally talked about with you and Kris but I figure since I'm going to be getting tuned I should go with the more power 18 over the 10 percent pulley... Make sense.....

??
Thanks...

Old 10-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #40
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Quote:
The computer also monitors knock on your given fuel and will learn toward the Low octane table as necessary.

Each time you fuel up the computer resets to the High octane table and starts the process over again.

Ted.
Sorry just jumping in here at the end of this thread and found Ted's quote interesting. So is this true? The computer jumps back to the High Octane Table whenever gas is added to the tank? No fuse pull required ?
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #41
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
Ted I think you misunderstood me. I do not wanna do the headers, at least not right now (don't want a louder exhaust)... can I still use the 18 percent pulley without the headers..
My plans were.....
18 percent pulley
Id850 injectors
Ati damper
Rotofab
new plugs
your tune

I realize this is different from the package I originally talked about with you and Kris but I figure since I'm going to be getting tuned I should go with the more power 18 over the 10 percent pulley... Make sense.....

??
Thanks...

OK I would not do the 18% without Headers the boost is to high for straight 93 octane fuel.

Ultimately we want to move more air across the cylinder head without restriction for best performance in all conditions.

The headers get rid of a good size restriction which reduces boost and we all know Boost is a Product of Restriction.

Ted.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #42
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
Sorry just jumping in here at the end of this thread and found Ted's quote interesting. So is this true? The computer jumps back to the High Octane Table whenever gas is added to the tank? No fuse pull required ?
Yes sir, that is how it is suppose to work and I have seen it on my own car through logging.

The Early L99 cars had the biggest problem with getting stuck on the low octane table