Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #29
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Yes, all builds are different and Pat takes all your details into consideration on the cam specs. Then you go to Comp or Cam Motion and they build and sell the camshaft for you.
Respectfully, I would think most reputable speed shops would do the same or they will loose me as a customer “for life” fast...
For me it’s about doing homework, establishing long term relationships, and trust.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:24 AM   #30
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Sure, but I bet there are alot of places that would recommend cams even if they aren't selling them. :P

Case in point, I asked Race Proven Motorsports in Delaware how much they would charge to install 3.91 gears and they said they wouldn't recommend it. Logically, why would a business turn down work like that?
I'd have more questions about not doing 3.91s than paying $25 for a not off the shelf cam recommendation
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:43 AM   #31
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
WTF paying for a recommendation.. LOL call Cammotion. or tick or tsp or anyone who does not charge or figure it out yourself........... the list is so long....lingenfelter, livernois, tampa tuning, Florida speed, Jannety racing, Brian Tooley racing, etc etc etc....... OR you could ask my Tuner Thomas Wong though he is busy as hell in Vancouver. Not rocket science for the average aftermarket cam, even custom spec out. Its more in what you want the car to do than anything and a limited number of variables. The deal often is if you want it they already make it and you just had to figure it out yourself.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #32
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
If you are doing a costly build and not willing to pay an expert to spec something out for you, then you are making a mistake. I cant tell you how many people I know, and threads I read about people changing a cam out because they don't like the manners of what they put in. Pat's (and a few others) reputation speaks for his work.

Or, you can do it the internet way and listen to videos and pick the cam because you like the lope. Good luck with that.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #33
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
WTF paying for a recommendation.. LOL call Cammotion. or tick or tsp or anyone who does not charge or figure it out yourself........... the list is so long....lingenfelter, livernois, tampa tuning, Florida speed, Jannety racing, Brian Tooley racing, etc etc etc....... OR you could ask my Tuner Thomas Wong though he is busy as hell in Vancouver. Not rocket science for the average aftermarket cam, even custom spec out. Its more in what you want the car to do than anything and a limited number of variables. The deal often is if you want it they already make it and you just had to figure it out yourself.
Not mentioning the bad precidence it sets - “anyone giving advice should be paid”... I’ll find my own way.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #34
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-tuned View Post
Respectfully, I would think most reputable speed shops would do the same or they will loose me as a customer “for life” fast...
For me it’s about doing homework, establishing long term relationships, and trust.
You're absolutely correct, but I like to compare notes and discuss any differences between Pat and my speed shop. Kind of like getting a 2nd opinion from a doctor before major surgery. To be honest I only used Pat once and it was $25 well spent as it confirmed my off the shelf comp cam selection anyway. Today I'd probably hit up Cam Motion instead.

No matter who specs your cam, the customer still needs to make some decisions so getting as much knowledge as possible is a good thing.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #35
miller8907

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS LS3
It took a week to get mine. Pat is awesome at what he does. He does my tuning by email. If you guys did a search for Pat on LS1tech you would see that this guy knows his stuff and see why people pay him for his services. Plus you get a small discount if you get your cam from tsp which cancels out the spec fee.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #36
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Not to disparage Pat (I don't know him one bit), however why not pay him for an intake recommendation? Torque Converter? Etc, etc, etc.

I don't see JusticePete charging for advice on what to do with suspension, he's on here on what appears to be a daily basis giving free advice. I see Ryan at GPI, DynoSteve, BMR, and others doing the same and not charging a penny.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #37
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Quote:
Not to disparage Pat (I don't know him one bit), however why not pay him for an intake recommendation? Torque Converter? Etc, etc, etc.

I don't see JusticePete charging for advice on what to do with suspension, he's on here on what appears to be a daily basis giving free advice. I see Ryan at GPI, DynoSteve, BMR, and others doing the same and not charging a penny.
'yo..who's car is it? what the cam Dr. needs to know is what YOU are planning on doing with your car. the cars owner has to set a goal on what they want..if you want somebody to spec out a car get ready to shell out a sh!t load of $$$..

once the owner has figured out the who, what and wheres...motor, trans, rear, tires, weight..etc..etc...then and only then can the cam specs be determined...now if you are doing a basic cam, head etc probably most of the off the self grinds will give you 75 to 80% of max perf...a spec cam will give you prob 85 to 90%...that last 10% is what everybody is fighting for and is what is called in the racing industry (dialed in).

so as with everything, you get what you pay for. Everybody wants something just a little different and the cam Dr. not only gets you there but if they are any good will tell you how far off base you are, why and what to do to correct..now for $25 bucks that could possibly end up saving somebody $10k or more..just sayin..

hope that clears up a few thing bro....and did you get the directions to Mason-Dixon yet? http://masondixondragway.com/

opening day is March 3rd and hope you and anybody else in the area comes...peace
Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #38
ARrado15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

First off, he's not giving you advice on what off the shelf cam to choose... He's not looking at your setup and saying okay go with the TSP stage3.2 etc... He's providing a CUSTOM spec'd cam that fits your setup, and send's it to either Cam Motion or TSP to get ground. It's not the same as recommending what intake or torque converter as the camshaft is literally the brain of your engine... everything else should be built around it. I don't quite understand why your so passionate about somebody paying $25 to get a custom cam specification from a leader in LS tuning. It's not like we are paying $900 for a cam recommendation. It's much better than somebody buying a random off the shelf cam and not liking the way it performs because it didn't fit their needs...
Old 02-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #39
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:

Well hes a co-foundator of ls1tech.com. He knows a lot. He brought a lot of knowlegde to LS community online and shared it.

25$ for a custom cam from him is a well invested 25$, IMO. The great thing is if you dont wanna pay it, you can just buy an off the shelf cam.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #40
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Or ask someone who is not so busy who has been making cams for decades also or installing them or etc... its analyzing what parts with what and what you want it to do fairly simple thing done constantly 24/7 IMO and then yes there are " custom" grinds which usually come out fairly close to something off the shelf already out there also BTW...... as if you can think it someone else has done it. Not into patience here LOL. being patient sucks damn it all and I have had to learn that amongst my other down falls as life is that way..... Humbling SOB... LOL The longer the thread goes on the longer the wait, sometimes just dropping off the thing at the tuner with a whole pile of money....well that could be good for some also..... If the guy knows his stuff and is the best around your area and smart.

BTW my cam was Custom ground slightly off a stage three Cammotion cam by Cammotion. Doing exactly what I wanted, being nice to my valve train, good for vacuum, and making a nice wide torque curve not focusing on high end HP that's stupid to just build for a race for a desk top number. SO a person researching things themselves then going with helpful advice....IMO the way to go, because only you know what you want until you share it.

My tuner will do up a custom grind no problem no $$$$$$ has bumpsticks everywhere .....sells American racing headers etc etc also not a big deal, prefers things from certain companies for reason; like say lingenfelter over etc etc...because one is more bullet proof, one is without instructions for their blower and a PITA or this or that, so I bounce ideas off him before I go off the deep end..... so I know what only the experienced know before I dream too much down one path. And don't waste others valuable time, Research.... because there is a reason my tuner has a waiting list months long, others can be the same way, but to be patient that's just a bunch of poo-poo and frustrating as heck....we do have to face facts though...... and if a guy is just a one time advice not putting money down and just another guy...well they might as well get their advice on here.....

But you see I am his returning customer not just Joe Blow wasting his valuable time..so its in good customer service to give good advice and spend the time you make so much at$$$$ using your skills, to others though paying is what you should expect if your just not even using installation services/any thing but trying to get something for nothing wanting time when time is money...SO I can see it both ways so DIY guys; can be annoying and also a builder for customer base when the screw the pooch and they are local... but people flow through some businesses like crap through a goose; return customers much more special and some people just a friggin waste of valuable time.

That's the real deal; heres who I return too https://www.facebook.com/Wongs-Perfo...-115667950915/ yup and he has a couple electrical engineering degrees from his old jobs.... A smart cookie.

Last edited by christianchevell; 02-19-2018 at 10:51 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #41
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
Pat charges because when you get THAT many people constantly emailing you for a cam spec you basically have to charge in order to slim that list down a little.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #42
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Hey, if people are willing to pay for it, more power to Pat!

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote