Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-01-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Xndless

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Brighter tail light bulbs?

I tinted my back lights to match my car better (legal in my province) and the tint knocked the brightness down a bit, but they are still very visible. I'd say MORE visible than most stock bulbs on regular cars.

However, it has caused backlash on the internet and I'm looking to replace the stock bulbs with something a lot brighter so that my bulbs will go back to being stock brightness WITH the tint on it.
Xndless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xndless View Post
I tinted my back lights to match my car better (legal in my province) and the tint knocked the brightness down a bit, but they are still very visible. I'd say MORE visible than most stock bulbs on regular cars.

However, it has caused backlash on the internet and I'm looking to replace the stock bulbs with something a lot brighter so that my bulbs will go back to being stock brightness WITH the tint on it.
You need a brighter direct fit LED bulb replacement like the XP80 from Diode Dynamics, or even ping SJM on this forum, and see what he brings to the table as well.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Xndless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
You need a brighter direct fit LED bulb replacement like the XP80 from Diode Dynamics, or even ping SJM on this forum, and see what he brings to the table as well.
Do those not have hyper flashing?
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
All LEDs cause hyperflash. Consider replacing the stock 3157 tailight bulbs with 3457 bulbs (which are 100 lumens brighter 400 vs 500)
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Camaro Dude

Quote:
The turn blinkers will hyper flash if you don’t add resistors.

The vendors of those LED kits I named to you in the post above, will provide the resistors and the red 3M adhesive, which makes total bulb installation time, an extra 5 min affair.

Hyper flashing should not scare you off.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
Xndless

I bought some from Amazon, but they don't really change the brightness much over stock bulbs, even though the amazon reviews say they are insanely bright.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01EWJPQLW
Old 04-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Xndless

Here's a video I shot quickly to show what I mean. Left is stock, right is LED.

I want bulbs that are way brighter. 1.5-2x brighter than stock.

You can see the tail lights easy in the video, but in the direct sun it makes it dimmer.

https://streamable.com/cllgm

I read online someone saying how red LEDs are brighter than white in tail lights. Something to do with the red lens of the tail lights filtering out the white a bit because white is close to blue? Should I try some red LEDs?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
camguynj

Quote:
Here's a video I shot quickly to show what I mean. Left is stock, right is LED.

I want bulbs that are way brighter. 1.5-2x brighter than stock.

You can see the tail lights easy in the video, but in the direct sun it makes it dimmer.

https://streamable.com/cllgm

I read online someone saying how red LEDs are brighter than white in tail lights. Something to do with the red lens of the tail lights filtering out the white a bit because white is close to blue? Should I try some red LEDs?
Yes, LED tailight bulbs have to be red. White light gets filtered out. Do you have load resistors on the LEDs ?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #9
Xndless

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Yes, LED tailight bulbs have to be red. White light gets filtered out. Do you have load resistors on the LEDs ?
Yup, just learned this. Ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No resistors yet, they are coming in the mail. Both from Amazon.com (I am from Canada) so they'll take a while to get here.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Yup, just learned this. Ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No resistors yet, they are coming in the mail. Both from Amazon.com (I am from Canada) so they'll take a while to get here.
Seems like a good choice. Post back once you get them installed
Old 04-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #11
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
Yes always use red LED bulbs behind a red lense (amber behind amber, etc). This will produce a vivid bright result filling the entire lense. Spend the money on a decent bulb (at least 280+ lumens).
Old 04-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #12
Xndless

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Seems like a good choice. Post back once you get them installed
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Justice View Post
Yes always use red LED bulbs behind a red lense (amber behind amber, etc). This will produce a vivid bright result filling the entire lense. Spend the money on a decent bulb (at least 280+ lumens).
I knew this, but then forgot it. Stumbled upon images like this https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.ne...or-Tooltip.jpg and it reminded me everything I once knew.

I feel dumb for buying the white LEDs in the first place, but I'm pretty sure this experience will make me remember.

Honestly the reason I forgot was because the original bulb is incandescent and amber, and my mind ignored that LEDs and incandescent light is completely different.

I've ordered the red LEDs that I posted in a comment above.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #13
Camaro Dude

Dude, i should of been more specific in my post above, and why I pushed those 2 vendors. Heck, I should of mentioned extremebrightleds.com too while I was at it, lol.

You see, I have tried ALL of these bulbs at best. Pushing light through a tinted lens, you will imho need at least a 50W LED with Creed chips. For me it’s Creed or go home generally speaking, and I don’t see that in your shopping cart lol.

I got Ofers Custom rear afterburner tails, and they are quite tinted. 80W, or is it 85W LED (I forget the fine details now) is the way to go for my application, and it seems that Diode Dynamics, last i checked about a year ago, were the only ones in the 80W level with Creed 5W chips all around and the top of the bulb. Yes, Ofers default bulb was under powered for braking, so I had to remedy that ; ).

Others were at 50W+,(albeit not slathered with as many Creed 5W bulbs around and at the top loll as the 80W offering), which is still good, but if you needed crazy bright...

Depending on your level of tint, and housing design, you might do just as well with the less powerful LEDs.

Anything less, for me is a waste of time, $$, and a joke! Almost rice looking even.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #14
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Justice View Post
What LEDs do you have?