Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #57
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
What times are you getting at the track with the nitrous?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92661

BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #58
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Thanks and nice time Rod!
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #59
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
For me, the issue is not about V6 vs. V8, it's about the engines internals. Would anyone building a V8 with the intention of running nitrous tell their engine builder to go ahead and use a cast crank and cast pistons? I wouldn't and if I had him build a V6, I'd make sure he applied the same theory behind the V6 nitrous motor as a V8 nitrous motor.

GM's 3.6 V6 is nothing short of incredible with respect the technology and performance behind it. It is technologicly more superior and and has better performance per litre than the L99 or LS3. My recommendation is to just put HD parts in it if you want to run nitrous. Will some people may be able to get 100 nitrous passes on it as the car continues to be a DD? Perhaps but I have a hard time believing it just as I would seeing someone in a V8 with cast internals do it. Again - not a V8 vs. V6 thing.
I've believe I have corrected you in the past... crank is not cast... it's forged..

"The crankshaft is a strong forged steel, and connecting rods are sinter forged, as are other 3.6L V6 VVT engines."

http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/Product/3...%20Summary.pdf

And once again we are NOT talking about BUILDING a motor, we are talking about getting the most out of the STOCK motor....

You spewed your doom and gloom about running N20 on this V6 and you were sure a 100 shot would KILL this motor... They way you talked is the motor explode first time you sprayed... ROD1 has proven you WRONG!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #60
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
You spewed your doom and gloom about running N20 on this V6 and you were sure a 100 shot would KILL this motor... They way you talked is the motor explode first time you sprayed... ROD1 has proven you WRONG!
Okay.....

Did I say "Shot will kill the motor the first time you spray" or did you just incorrectly interpret my words as such?

Don't put words into my mouth. You, Rod and everyone else are free to prove me wrong and disagree with me. That's how the world works .....
Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #61
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
well... not exactly true.. there are risks with any form of FI.. With N20 you are counting on the solenoids working properly... If your fuel solenoid sticks and doesn't open bad things can happen. I've also seen guys over-pressurize their bottles causing that 100 shot to be a lot more than that.. And of course there are the spectacular N20 backfires! WOOHOO! In my case I sprayed to early and cracked a piston... oops... There are certainly steps you can take to reduces these risks but the risk are still there...

One thing about N20 that you need to consider it is very additive and it is very easy to get caught up in wanting a bit more... start out with the 75 shot... and soon you are craving 100... then 125... and the thing with N20 it is very easy to do! Just switch the jets! I know, i fell victim to that also!
True this. Keeping those risks minimized should make for a good experience. I know ....the window switch... but im loading at 2000 rpm and Im real close to 2500 by the time I go WOT. I am doing the 125 shot a few times but then Im backing down to 100 again. Having Vince there to advise has been a big help in making the decision to go more. If I was much less conservative, I would just keeep raising the shots til Vince said I was nuts. Then Ide try it once lol. I was told its a good idea to replace the solenoid every year or run two in succession to be safe. Fact is when FI is established this kit will be coming off. I want full time "holy sh*t!" capability .
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #62
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Max has been running a 100 shot for awhile now WITHOUT A TUNE!
Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #63
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Okay.....

Did I say "Shot will kill the motor the first time you spray" or did you just incorrectly interpret my words as such?

Don't put words into my mouth. You, Rod and everyone else are free to prove me wrong and disagree with me. That's how the world works .....
back on page 1 of this thread, post #5 you wrote:

"100 shot will kill that motor. It's not designed to take load. "

ok... so how long then???
Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #64
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Max has been running a 100 shot for awhile now WITHOUT A TUNE!
Yeah, but didn't he have an issue where his N20 solenoid wasn't opening or something???
Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #65
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
True this. Keeping those risks minimized should make for a good experience. I know ....the window switch... but im loading at 2000 rpm and Im real close to 2500 by the time I go WOT. I am doing the 125 shot a few times but then Im backing down to 100 again. Having Vince there to advise has been a big help in making the decision to go more. If I was much less conservative, I would just keeep raising the shots til Vince said I was nuts. Then Ide try it once lol. I was told its a good idea to replace the solenoid every year or run two in succession to be safe. Fact is when FI is established this kit will be coming off. I want full time "holy sh*t!" capability .
Other thing is to shut the bottle off and purge the line AFTER each run... this keeps the pressure on the solenoid to a minimum, time-wise...
Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #66
Hylton

Quote:
back on page 1 of this thread, post #5 you wrote:

"100 shot will kill that motor. It's not designed to take load. "

ok... so how long then???
Yeah so? You tell me how long the engine will last with shot since you are the one who wants to use it in a manner which is different than the manufacturer intended.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #67
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Other thing is to shut the bottle off and purge the line AFTER each run... this keeps the pressure on the solenoid to a minimum, time-wise...
GOOD TO KNOW! TX
Old 07-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #68
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Yeah, but didn't he have an issue where his N20 solenoid wasn't opening or something???
I must have missed that, Ill have to go back and read it all again.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #69
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
GOOD TO KNOW! TX
Hey rod, did you ever post any pics of your setup anywhere?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #70
ROD1
Retired

Quote:
Yeah so? You tell me how long the engine will last with shot since you are the one who wants to use it in a manner which is different than the manufacturer intended.
Wow, More open ended unanswerable questions from you. Could be once could be never. Without risk, life is mundane and boring. Time will tell won't it. Im really not sure why you are so adamant about expressing your opinion. We get the idea.