Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Last wash of the season?

Hey everyone, just want to get your opinion on something. I'm going in for neck surgery on Tuesday the 6th. So, needless to say I won't be doing any backflips for a while let alone wash my Camaro. It's going to be a great weekend here in NJ, so I want to do it before Tuesday obviously. I do the wheels, two bucket, foam cannon and have that down now after owning the car for a year and half and spending almost $1000 bucks on the whole car wash supply thing. Here's where I need to know. After I've washed my car, I use Adams buttery wax and that's it until the next wash. I have the compound, Polish, and Sealant. The paint is pretty good and I don't want to get into trying to get swirls out because it doesn't have many(or I can take care of it next spring). So after washing, do I do a sealant and wax(or other way around). Do I do just do the sealant? Can I just do the buttery wax thing, after all, it is a garage queen. Thanks everyone, you're all the best!!
Old 10-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Joekono, going in for surgery (umbilical) myself on the 9th. Not as complicated(I hope) as neck surgery but, they don’t want me doing “backflips” either. Colors are out here so, if I can get in the car, I’ll be driving it! With the surgeon’s approval, of course.
Best of luck to ya!
Old 10-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
punk5150

Drives: 2014 SS/RS CRT
Sealant lasts longer than wax.
I do black fire sealant then wax. Excellent results.

You could probably get away with the sealant only.

Good luck with the surgery.
punk5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I recently got gifted a very nice brand new 'Amazon' DA polisher and some really nice cutting/polishing pads. I have been doing a ton of reading on proper paint correction and detailing in preparation for doing my car. If there is one thing I have learned it's that there is no one proper way to do this. I am just doing my best to listen to the things people agree NOT to do.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
joekono

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I had a lot of the same thinking as all of you. "what NOT to do", black has definitely gotta be tough to keep up, sealant is what I thought would protect better, I just haven't done it yet and I have those "first time jitters" that a lot of people seem to have. 0stones0 good luck with your surgery also, gonna be tough to sleep for me the next few days. Thanks everyone for the kind wishes and I'll post a nice picture of a C5 next week and a picture of my neck scar that will look like someone tried to do me in.
Old 10-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #6
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Joe, I'm right there with you on the first time jitters. I need to do a good polish, seal, wax and whatever job on my Z but I'm worried I'll just end up with sore appendages, swirl marks and wax residue. My 2LS looks like crap when I get to close. My Father is a detail guru but that must skip a generation. Good luck at the rebuild facility. Heal up quickly and no holeshots until Dr approval.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #7
joekono

Holeshots!!
Old 10-08-2020, 06:40 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekono View Post
Hey everyone, just want to get your opinion on something. I'm going in for neck surgery on Tuesday the 6th. So, needless to say I won't be doing any backflips for a while let alone wash my Camaro. It's going to be a great weekend here in NJ, so I want to do it before Tuesday obviously. I do the wheels, two bucket, foam cannon and have that down now after owning the car for a year and half and spending almost $1000 bucks on the whole car wash supply thing. Here's where I need to know. After I've washed my car, I use Adams buttery wax and that's it until the next wash. I have the compound, Polish, and Sealant. The paint is pretty good and I don't want to get into trying to get swirls out because it doesn't have many(or I can take care of it next spring). So after washing, do I do a sealant and wax(or other way around). Do I do just do the sealant? Can I just do the buttery wax thing, after all, it is a garage queen. Thanks everyone, you're all the best!!
I think you received some great advice already. I agree with either the sealant or wax since it's going to be sitting in the garage. Hopefully you have an indoor cover to keep that "shiny" look as it sits waiting to roll again in the spring. When spring comes, that's when you may want to get the polisher out and really put an awesome detail into that paint that will last all year. Swirl remove, polish, sealant, wax, enjoy.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote