Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Personal Test Drive Review II: The battle of the six bangers

Hey all,

Last summer I had the great pleasure to spend a day with the 2011 Mustang GT and the 2011 Camaro 2SS each. I told myself that when I had a chance I would do another review with the V6 versions of the Mustang and Camaro (the 2010 Challenger was not worth reviewing, 2011 will be different).

Last week my chance arrived. I had the chance to spend a full 24 hours with a 2011 Mustang V6 Premium and a 2011 2LT Camaro. Both with the automatic transmission.

Let me just say right now that both of these cars are amazing, and I would say that someone who isnt brand loyal would be equally happy with both cars. That being said, ...on to the review.

2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT
Transmission: 6 speed automatic with tapshift.
Options: Rally Yellow paint, black stripes, RS package.
Price as Tested: 31,555 (!!)

Let me start by saying that this is an awesome car. Upon getting into the now familiar Camaro (having tested the SS several times before) I was welcomed by the tight glove feeling of the seats. Naturally visibility was still a problem even after I adjusted the mirrors.
Starting the engine I had to look at the tach to ensure that the engine had indeed started. On that note..the gauges on the V6 are actually easier to read, mostly due to them not being over-populated with numbers as on the SS's.
When getting on the throttle the formerly silent engine really makes it presence known. Throaty yet smooth for a V6, acceleration off the line was strong enough to entice a smile. That being said I could feel the weight of the Camaro even in this lighter, more nimble brother to the SS.
The weight helped the Camaro feel planted and confidence inspiring in turns, but I'm sure contributed to the 6.2 second sprint to 60 MPH. The 1/4 mile passed in 14.45 seconds @ 97.43 MPH.
Braking was OK, but I sure missed the Brembo's the SS has. The lighter weight of the V6 helps make up for the weaker brakes in stopping.
When cruising the Camaro is comforting in its stability and solid feel. You get almost all of the same great styling found on the SS without having to feed the 6.2L monster tucked under the hood.

Conclusion: Great cruiser and everyday driver.
0-60 Run: 6.2 seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.45 seconds @ 97.43 MPH

2011 Mustang V6 Premium
Transmission: 6 speed automatic
Options: Candy Red paint, Rapid Spec. 202A, HID Headlights and security package.
Price as tested: 30,000 even.

This is by far the biggest difference between a 2010 and a 2011 when Comparing a 2010 Camaro to a 2011 Camaro and a 2010 Mustang to a 2011 Mustang. Holy effing crap, night and day. Again, the Mustangs slightly more cramped interior greeted me, but the outstanding visibility gave me more confidence when driving.
Starting the engine the motor was more raspy on start and had a louder purr when at idle than the Camaro. On acceleration the feeling of speed was much greater, but the acceleration seemed anemic with a feeling of torque very much missing. However this was apparently all in my head as the Mustang made the run to 60 in 5.8 seconds. The 1/4 mile went by in 14.02 seconds @ 100.6 MPH. The Mustangs 7 less HP was completely unnoticed due to its lighter weight.
The Mustang was very light feeling in comparison to the Camaro. It felt less planted but far more nimble. I'm not sure I would like that too much in less than ideal weather. Braking was much superior to the Camaro, I felt no fade or loss of confidence in the cars stopping ability.

The interior on the Mustang was very well made and the materials were great.

Conclusions: Great performer, poor cruiser
0-60 : 5.8 Seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.02 @ 100.6

Final Conclusions:

If you're wanting to have a great every day driver with enough power to keep you happy on the street, but are willing to pay $1500 more..go for the Camaro.

If you're wanting a great track car for the drag strip or road course, go with the Mustang.

In my personal opinion the Mustang has the most growth potential in its V6. The Camaro uses direct injection to get to 312 HP, the Mustang does not to get to 305. With engine advancements I would not be surprised to see it easily pass the Camaro in terms of engine output.

Overall Winner: TIE
Performance/Track: Mustang
Daily Driver/Comfort: Camaro
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
bigted83
They call me captain slow

Drives: 2010 camaro lt
I drove both the 2011 mustang v6 with a auto and test drove a 2010 camaro rs with a v6 and auto. Yes I admit the v6 mustang was a little quicker but it was way to cramp for me in the drivers seat. But when I test drove the v6 camaro I think noticed a little hesitation between me giving it gas and taking off. I picked the camaro cuz of the looks, room features.
bigted83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
Nice review, thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
There's only a ~100lb difference between the V6 and SS.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote