Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

View Poll Results: Purchase insurance
Yes 8 44.44%
No 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 Dual Mode
Autocross/Track Insurance

I am curious, if there were an insurance provider that would cover your car, while competing in an autocross event, would you purchase the coverage?
I understand that price is a factor.
I for one, have been hesitant to do some autocross events, based on the fact that I could tear up my car, without any insurance coverage.

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. Forgeline 20" w Nitto 315/275
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I didn't Vote, because I have 2 different answers. For Road Course events, I do buy insurance.

For Auto-X, I do not because the risk is so much lower. I have been to a gazillion A/Xs and I have never seen anyone wreak. Spin, yes, but not wreak.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I didn't Vote, because I have 2 different answers. For Road Course events, I do buy insurance.

For Auto-X, I do not because the risk is so much lower. I have been to a gazillion A/Xs and I have never seen anyone wreak. Spin, yes, but not wreak.
I have had a different experience. I have seen a ZL1 Camaro at CamaroFest in Indianapolis get totaled on the autocross track, by hitting a guard rail, I saw a 2nd gen in Bowling Green (CamaroFest) last year get damage hitting retaining wall. I also saw a 69 Camaro hit a retaining wall at Good Guys in Indianapolis. The ZL1 was by far the worst.
I have been to Grissom aeroplex a few times and haven't seen anything bad. There is nothing to hit there...lol

Of course, I have great handling with BMR products on my 13 and 67 SS!

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. Forgeline 20" w Nitto 315/275
Old 02-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Never done autocross before, but I'm going to start tracking and will get insurance for each event. Its only $164 per event, which is cheap. IMO
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Dante, if nothing else, it's peace of mind not having to worry!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I don't but I can afford to set my car on fire and walk away without it changing my life or my families life one bit. The whooooole thing with insurance is can you afford to set it on fire and push it off a cliff? If yes then don't. If no then you need to rethink the act or get insurance. For track insurance can you afford to lose your car and fix a wall on someone else's property?

To be quite fair. It would impact my family negatively to add another huge expense to a track day. I say all these things from my perspective and my life and my experience. Think about yours.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Lockton Affinity Ins
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Lockton Affinity along with other track insurance only covers HPDE events, not anything that is timed or competing against another vehicle.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnSS View Post
Lockton Affinity along with other track insurance only covers HPDE events, not anything that is timed or competing against another vehicle.
If you read the fine print a lot of insurance providers who say they are track day insurance have this. Anything with a timer. Some have anything with race like conditions. Both these speak to anything other than a lead follow parade lap.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

I work for an insurance company and I really want to find a writing company that will write timed events like Autocross. I am trying to get a good feel if people are as interested in it as I am.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #11
Virus

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I use ontrackinsurance.com I've found they have the best customer service and the best rates. I've never used any other ones before. They have discounts if you pre pay for multiple events which I usually do.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
I use ontrackinsurance.com I've found they have the best customer service and the best rates. I've never used any other ones before. They have discounts if you pre pay for multiple events which I usually do.
I appreciate your response, I am specifically talking about Autocross insurance, not HPDE insurance. Currently, there isn't a company that writes insurance for timed events.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #13
jimbow

Drives: 2012 2LS Camaro - RIP 10/3/2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnSS View Post
I work for an insurance company and I really want to find a writing company that will write timed events like Autocross. I am trying to get a good feel if people are as interested in it as I am.
Been doing timed events for 16 years - I've NEVER found anyone that will cover a timed event.

Used Locton and ontrack for years to cover HPDE events where I'm instructing in my Camaro (still owe the bank a few pennies)
jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbow View Post
Been doing timed events for 16 years - I've NEVER found anyone that will cover a timed event.

Used Locton and ontrack for years to cover HPDE events where I'm instructing in my Camaro (still owe the bank a few pennies)
That is what I am trying to change. I am putting out feelers on several forums, to get an idea if people are interested in getting coverage for these style events. Not just wanting to rely on me thinking it's a good idea. lol