Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
2012 Wiring

I am wanting to add LED footwell wiring to my 2012 2SS/RS and watched a phastek video on it. They said on the passenger side of dash there is a bunch of wires. I need either the grey or the grey /black but never said which it was. Can you guys help? I am wanting the lights to come on when the door is opened

Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #2
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
It clearly says connect to the GREY wire @1:33.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
PeteD

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
It clearly says connect to the GREY wire @1:33.
LOL....Which one? "Clearly" does not say that. He says take the probe and check. But never says which one. And I do not have a probe.

So "clearly" I need to know. Guess I will have to "clearly" just pokes holes in both of them with taps until one of them "clearly" works hunh?

Thanks for the ummmmmm, Help???
Old 08-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #4
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I did this a few years ago and recall t tapping the grey wire under the dash. Yes, try both but typically the grey solid wire is a slightly thicker wire, this is the dome light. Just did a similar thing for my friends GMC truck, tapping into dome wire.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
So, you do not know how to use a test-light, to find which grey wire has power when
you open the doors? That's the purpose of having the PROBE. Then he says when
you (YOU), find the correct one, use the included tap to connect to the grey wire.
It does not say to eenie-meeny-miney-moe the between the two grey wires.

I understand there are two grey wires, YOU are to test them with the probe to see
which one has power when the door is opened. It does not say to GUESS which
grey wire to use. You have to use the probe to find it, then chose it.

There you go, you do not HAVE a test light, which is why you're having such a difficult
time with it. It does not matter though, you can tap into one of them, if it does
not work, just tap into the other, but stagger the taps... It helps to have the right
tools for the job. So, you want everyone else to help you, when they'd have to do
the SAME thing, guess...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
Use the search button . Look under ABL Lighting and there are several how to's on there.
swampcritter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
PeteD

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
So, you do not know how to use a test-light, to find which grey wire has power when
you open the doors? That's the purpose of having the PROBE. Then he says when
you (YOU), find the correct one, use the included tap to connect to the grey wire.
It does not say to eenie-meeny-miney-moe the between the two grey wires.

I understand there are two grey wires, YOU are to test them with the probe to see
which one has power when the door is opened. It does not say to GUESS which
grey wire to use. You have to use the probe to find it, then chose it.

There you go, you do not HAVE a test light, which is why you're having such a difficult
time with it. It does not matter though, you can tap into one of them, if it does
not work, just tap into the other, but stagger the taps... It helps to have the right
tools for the job. So, you want everyone else to help you, when they'd have to do
the SAME thing, guess...
Um no. You assume way too much. I thought that someone, like the kind person above , might have done this before and could provide a little help. Like stating the wire that I needed was thicker and I would be able to tell and to use that one. Never said I do not know how to use one. I said I do not have one.

This site is supposed to be to help people if they have questions.
Not be a smart @$$ and make comments that have nothing to do with trying to help.

If you have issues with actually trying to help, maybe you need to get rid of your keyboard and just use your mouse when on the forums.
And just so "you" know, they both should have power on them when the door is opened. You will have power in and power out at that point.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
PeteD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcritter View Post
Use the search button . Look under ABL Lighting and there are several how to's on there.
Thank you very much. Will do
Old 08-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #9
PeteD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
I did this a few years ago and recall t tapping the grey wire under the dash. Yes, try both but typically the grey solid wire is a slightly thicker wire, this is the dome light. Just did a similar thing for my friends GMC truck, tapping into dome wire.
Than you very much for the help. I will def. look for that and give it a try. Thank you for being a help rather being like the other person