Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #43
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
1Wow! Did you see what I saw on that engine?? 1well you didn't see it I'm not going to tell you. And I can see the exact specs just by looking at the pic. Looks the 5.0/302 is back. just right for a z28.
IMHO GM can produce a 5.0L Gen V engine and use it to replace both the 4.8L and 5.3L which should help with cost. Also its an excuse to produce a 5.0L Gen V SBC in order to go head to head with the 5.0L BOSS 302 Mustang.

This is just a rough est. as to what I think a Gen V 5.0L SBC would produce based off of what the LS3 makes and est. on gains for direct injection and VVT.

LS3 makes 70BHP/L so if it was in 5.0L form it would produce 351BHP.

GMs old 3.6L V-6 (VVT but no direct injection) produced 263BHP, currently the 3.6L with direct injection (in same application in CTS) produces 318BHP. the 263BHP version produced 73BHP/L and the new engine makes 88BHP/L. A gain of 15BHP/L or 21% in peak output, if you applied that same 21% to the LS3 and down size it to 5.0L then well. If you added 21% to the LS3 then it would produce 528BHP (which is going to be hard for some to believe). That would be 85BHP/L (an increase of 15BHP/L) and in 5.0L form would make 425BHP.

Though we have yet to get into what would VVT add to the SBC, however that comes down to what type of system. If its the GM cam phaser on the camshaft then gains in the past for said system has been about 10%. However if its the concentric camshaft VVT system then gains would be high though how much higher is unknown. Just working on the 10% increase in our 5.0L 425BHP V-8 engine would give us 467BHP out of our 5.0L engine.

Though this is all pure speculation....
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #44
Jyrine

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
IMHO GM can produce a 5.0L Gen V engine and use it to replace both the 4.8L and 5.3L which should help with cost. Also its an excuse to produce a 5.0L Gen V SBC in order to go head to head with the 5.0L BOSS 302 Mustang.

This is just a rough est. as to what I think a Gen V 5.0L SBC would produce based off of what the LS3 makes and est. on gains for direct injection and VVT.

LS3 makes 70BHP/L so if it was in 5.0L form it would produce 351BHP.

GMs old 3.6L V-6 (VVT but no direct injection) produced 263BHP, currently the 3.6L with direct injection (in same application in CTS) produces 318BHP. the 263BHP version produced 73BHP/L and the new engine makes 88BHP/L. A gain of 15BHP/L or 21% in peak output, if you applied that same 21% to the LS3 and down size it to 5.0L then well. If you added 21% to the LS3 then it would produce 528BHP (which is going to be hard for some to believe). That would be 85BHP/L (an increase of 15BHP/L) and in 5.0L form would make 425BHP.

Though we have yet to get into what would VVT add to the SBC, however that comes down to what type of system. If its the GM cam phaser on the camshaft then gains in the past for said system has been about 10%. However if its the concentric camshaft VVT system then gains would be high though how much higher is unknown. Just working on the 10% increase in our 5.0L 425BHP V-8 engine would give us 467BHP out of our 5.0L engine.

Though this is all pure speculation....
Thats not bad....BUT!

Anyone have a link to the article about the current motor running in the LeMan's GT2 Corvette's?

Well if my memory serves, its running a (granted race spec only) 5.5L. Now thats all well and good but I remember them mentioning it was producing 440hp, and that it was the next gen engine.

They also mentioned the 6.2L would be returning... So I don't see a 5.0L making 467hp.....

That being said, we don't know what GM might pull off. And the motor I'm referring to might not be a DI motor....Maybe an inbetween...

I mean...If Ferrari can product 560hp from a 4.5L, and if McLaren can produce 612hp from a (TT) 3.8L .....Who's to say what is possible?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #45
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Thats not bad....BUT!

Anyone have a link to the article about the current motor running in the LeMan's GT2 Corvette's?

Well if my memory serves, its running a (granted race spec only) 5.5L. Now thats all well and good but I remember them mentioning it was producing 440hp, and that it was the next gen engine.

They also mentioned the 6.2L would be returning... So I don't see a 5.0L making 467hp.....

That being said, we don't know what GM might pull off. And the motor I'm referring to might not be a DI motor....Maybe an inbetween...

I mean...If Ferrari can product 560hp from a 4.5L, and if McLaren can produce 612hp from a (TT) 3.8L .....Who's to say what is possible?
The engine in the C6R is just that, the C6R engine and if regulations state for 2013 the engine size limit is 5.0L then it will be reduced further to 5.0L.

I have yet to read any mention from GM or a GM source that states there will be a 5.5L production engine.

At the same time, engines are tuned with a goal in mind and if 440BHP is the goal for a 5.5L engine that doesn't mean you can't make more from that engine.

Though I did read that the 6.2L engine size would return, though what engine sizes are produced from the factory for the 5th generation engine we won't know until they are produced. Though its 100% certain that the after market will produce 7.0L 5th generation engines....
Old 08-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #46
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Must be slow to put a month old thread with no updates on the home page.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #47
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Welcome back to the mid 70's through the 80's. Smaller motors, less power, more fuel efficiency. Glad I bought a 2010, "1969" Camaro so to speak, while muscle was still available in a new car just like in the late 60's to early 70's.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #48
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrine View Post
Thats not bad....BUT!

Quote:
The engine in the C6R is just that, the C6R engine and if regulations state for 2013 the engine size limit is 5.0L then it will be reduced further to 5.0L.

I have yet to read any mention from GM or a GM source that states there will be a 5.5L production engine.

At the same time, engines are tuned with a goal in mind and if 440BHP is the goal for a 5.5L engine that doesn't mean you can't make more from that engine.

Though I did read that the 6.2L engine size would return, though what engine sizes are produced from the factory for the 5th generation engine we won't know until they are produced. Though its 100% certain that the after market will produce 7.0L 5th generation engines....
What you have to remember about that engine is that its restricted by the air box per rules to make it more competitive for everyone in the series. With a different manifold and air intake it may make more power. That engine is also a destroked 6.0L engine. A 4.00in(101.6mm) bore with about a 3.34inch(85mm) stroke if I were to guess
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.

Last edited by nak3dsnake; 08-28-2012 at 10:38 PM.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #49
doc7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Welcome back to the mid 70's through the 80's. Smaller motors, less power, more fuel efficiency. Glad I bought a 2010, "1969" Camaro so to speak, while muscle was still available in a new car just like in the late 60's to early 70's.
the only difference is, more horsepower, better fuel economy, and reduced emissions which the more horsepower part didn't happen in the 70s.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #50
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
the only difference is, more horsepower, better fuel economy, and reduced emissions which the more horsepower part didn't happen in the 70s.
That's the truth
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote