Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #29
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I don't bother even attempting to give to panhandlers anymore.

As others have said, they want the money, but not for food..at least that seems to be true most of the time.

Back when I was spending more time in Downtown Seattle, I offered many times to buy different panhandlers a meal at McDonalds, and only once did someone accept the offer. Instead, they just wanted cash.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #30
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I usually won't give cash, either (except when it's someone performing for the money - playing an instrument or something, but even then, they gotta be good and workin' for it!) I did give a panhandler some gloves on a snowy day last November - he really appreciated them.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #31
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Yeah to what you said! I still give 'em a cold beer, not money that they might waste on sumpthin' else.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #32
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
When it pays better than a real job sure, some people will go for it. A local news reporter let his facial hair grow a few days, put on some shabby clothes and went and panhandled for an hour. He made $90.00. Which he donated to a womens' shelter. I read about another town that was selling some kind of hobo vouchers you could give them that they could turn in for shelter & food locally.

Saw an old hobo fall and fail last year, hundreds of people drove by this guy face down in the dirt in 20 degree weather. Me and my friend went back. He was still wearing hospital wrist bands from being in the hospital. Meybe he just got up and walked out, but he was too sick to be going anywhere. We called 911 and waited til an ambulance came to assist. Hundreds of people drove by him and didn't give a 2nd look.
I'll help when I can, but give begging people money? Nope. They can go get a job, but why should they when they can make $90.00 per hour on a good corner?

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
hotrodsally
The Legend Lives On

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to hotrodsally
Quote:
Saw an old hobo fall and fail last year, hundreds of people drove by this guy face down in the dirt in 20 degree weather. Me and my friend went back. He was still wearing hospital wrist bands from being in the hospital. Meybe he just got up and walked out, but he was too sick to be going anywhere. We called 911 and waited til an ambulance came to assist. Hundreds of people drove by him and didn't give a 2nd look.
What a sad commentary on how jaded we've become. Thanks for stepping up to the plate and helping this person so clearly in need.

Viva Las Vegas!
hotrodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
I probably would feel bad for some of them except everytime ones come up to me asking for money for food and I've had a bag of groceries in my car they dont want it they want cash and that doesn't set right with me.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #35
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
When it pays better than a real job sure, some people will go for it. A local news reporter let his facial hair grow a few days, put on some shabby clothes and went and panhandled for an hour. He made $90.00. Which he donated to a womens' shelter. I read about another town that was selling some kind of hobo vouchers you could give them that they could turn in for shelter & food locally.

I'll help when I can, but give begging people money? Nope. They can go get a job, but why should they when they can make $90.00 per hour on a good corner?
To the first part I have seen a guy walk off the side of the road in his dirty clothes and sign and get into a miata. And I know people who will buy the grocerie cards they give to the homeless from them for money bc they want the cash for other things they dont use the card.

To the second part, that is very very sad.
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #36
Transfusion

Drives: 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristoff View Post
I think the main problem is you never really know who is REALLY in need.

You hear everyday about people that panhandle professionally - sad really.

I don't fault you a bit for your feelings.
This is nothing personal, but everytime I am in your town, I am always being shagged for cash by some sob in the street. Even the people who don't look like they should be asking, are. I always feel like showering when I leave there.

It's like someone mentioning niagra falls to the three stooges and I just go off. I see modesto and panhandlers and I know someone is going to be begging for cash, or looking like one of those hungry children commercials.
I quite honestly don't know why anyone puts up with that shit. Get a damn job you bums in Modesto.

Not exactly sure what this was about anymore, but boy did that feel good.
Transfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #37
NFERGY 2011 RJT

Drives: 2011 2LT RJT
I always give them a MRE i collected from my days in the Army.They look at me like WTF and i drive off.
NFERGY 2011 RJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #38
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
If I have a single or two in my wallet or some change in my pocket, I'll give it up to someone that looks like they're in need. Are there people that milk the system? Sure, but I'm certainly not qualified to make that character judgment. I don't care what they spend it on. If I lived on the street, I'd probably buy a tall can too.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:17 PM   #39
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Naw. Not cold-blooded to think it. To actually say it, not so good. I agree with you that people need to step up and take care of their own business and its frustrating to run into panhandlers.

I never give money to any of these beggars. I do give them food tho...
Ditto.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #40
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFERGY 2011 RJT View Post
I always give them a MRE i collected from my days in the Army.They look at me like WTF and i drive off.
MRE's aren't cheap!