Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #43
mja-PSU

Drives: 2011 conv. 2SS RS
@Sam I Am- Thanks for the link. I absolutely LOVE the aggressiveness of the system. The car finally sounds like the beast that it is.

I'll try to do a little research on the popping. I know it's tough to get a good answer sometimes from forums because so many folks have different opinions. Of course, I have my own as well, just based on word of mouth. I am sure it's harmless, but to me, it just does have that sound as though the car is miss-firing, and that's the only part I don't like. Maybe if I could ever get myself to let someone else drive the car and hear it from the outside, I might think differently, that it doesn't just sound awful...

I've been under the impression that back pressure has something (if not mostly) to do with it, which is why I was looking for the 3" pipes. I don't have headers, but I've also heard that if all the header tubes are the exact same length when converging to the single outlet, it cuts down on backpressure.

Plus, I don't know anything about resonators, or their purpose, so that could be something I could look into I guess.

One of the things I enjoy most is turning heads, or pulling into a gas station and starting up a convo with someone who really likes the car, but with that popping, even though there aren't any issues, it can give the perception as miss-firing. So, instead of the guy at the gas station saying, "wow, love the car," it becomes, "love the car, but why does it sound like it's backfiring?"
mja-PSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I did Magnaflow Axle Back Exhaust with a resonator delete and have a nice V8 sound, without being made deaf while driving down the road in my convertible.
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #45
screamin eagle
screamin eagle

Drives: 2011 Camaro RJT SS/RS Conv.
If your looking to get rid of the backfiring, check out some of the performance threads. You'll see there that you can tune the backfiring out. I don't recall where but when I got my tune from Jannetty racing I remember reading about it. I did not tune mine out, it's not that bad and I like it. (Of course I like like a sharp stick in the eye on occasion. Lol)
2011 Camaro RJT Gray Leather Int. Black Top, 2SS/RS Conv. M6 w/Hurst Shifter, CG Stripes, 20" Polished Wheels, Heritage Grill, (paint matched) w/SS emblem in center. CAI cold air intake, RX Performance Catch Can, Oil Cap Filter, (paint matched) VMAX Ported Throttle Body, (paint matched) ADM Scoop (my version), Roto Fab w/w bottle relocation kit, V8 Flags on Fenders. Painted fuse box cover. GM paint matched splash guards. Stainless Works LT headers and Hi-Flow Cats, SCT Tune from Jannetty Racing, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms and Tie Rods. GM footwell and cupholder lighting option.
screamin eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #46
mtmtx

Drives: 2SS/RS convertible, 6M
Send a message via Yahoo to mtmtx
The popping is caused by a system known as deceleration fuel cut off (DFCO)...here is a link with further information:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4970000
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #47
rudygotopless
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible SS
I just had a cat-back system by Solo installed by my Chevy dealer. The cost was under $900 and with installation it was just over $1000. I have an 2012 SS Vert automatic with GFX. It was easy to install (so I'm told - no complicated cutting etc) and it sounds great to me. If you want more details call Steve Mariano at Solo (516)655-9002. I don't know how to send "pictures" or "sound" via the computer otherwise I would let you hear it.
rudygotopless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #48
JimmyZ

Drives: 2017 1LE
I installed a flowmaster force II cat back system and love the the sound. It has a real agressive sound and is louder than expected. Once again it sounds great, except when the AFM kicks in. If you ride around using the paddle shifters it really sounds good, but when you put it back in drive the AFM kicks in and you get a harmonic vibration through the hollow mufflers that sounds bad. If you have a M6 this system would sound great, but i am looking to move to MagnaFlow to help with the AFM vibration.

I took a video of the sound, emailed it to myself, but i can't get it to play back. ONce i figure it out I will post.
JimmyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #49
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
looking forward to this vid, debating on outlaws or force II's.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #50
Guzman

Drives: 2011 Callaway Camaro 2SS 'vert
i'm still trying to decide what i want. i had a roush mustang with offroad roush exhaust and it was very loud - to the point my daughter would cover her ears. i dont want that again for her sake but i will say the stock exhaust leaves a lot to desire....
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #51
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I just installed a K&N Typhoon Intake and Flowmaster Force II Axle Back on my 2SS LS3 Vert yesterday. It took a total of 2hrs. 20 mins. to do both. It sounds AWESOME! The intake is quite loud and the exhaust is just what I wanted. I didn't want something loud and obnoxious;however, I still wanted a tough sound. The K&N Typhoon/Force II Combo is perfect! You can hear the Force II on Youtube. Search Flowmaster 817506 (Part #).
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #52
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I have had mine on for 6 months and I'm quite pleased with it. I have a K&N Typhoon with a Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-back. There's a dyno day on the 9th of June that I'm thinking about. I think it's 3 pulls for $40. I may have to stick it on the dyno and see how she does.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #53
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
For anyone with the L99 (AFM) how does the flowmaster axleback sound? I am not liking the stock exhaust note and want something agressive but at times the AFM makes it sound worse.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #54
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
For anyone with the L99 (AFM) how does the flowmaster axleback sound? I am not liking the stock exhaust note and want something agressive but at times the AFM makes it sound worse.
I think it sounds fine but some people hate it. I'm not sure what the story is, it may be an individual taste kind of thing. I notice it once in awhile but it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #55
nytrorcr

Drives: I.P.C. 2SS vert, 21 wheels
With my driving habits I never hear (AFM) but not sure how I would like the loudness of the Outlaw....I may just have to install and see.
nytrorcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #56
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Mine is here waiting to be installed
Attached Images

Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote