Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
vampiloutre

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/SS
P1400 HP Tuner vararam cai

I try to install my vararam intake.
I reset LTFT to get a relearn faster.
car start well bit idle like a crap and ltft+stft are at +55 !!!
so i install stock air box rewrite calibration.
car start but ltft+stft are still off.
retry vararam intake and car idle fine but lean and ltft+stft still +55 !!!

Hp Tuner DTC:
p1400 differential pressure feedback egr circuit low input
but P1400 for chevrolet is:P1400 CHEVROLET Cold Start Emission Reduction Control System

i try to chase an air leak but can't find anything

any input vould be great !!!

vampiloutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
vampiloutre

Here is logs:
1 is before i try to install vararam intake (running good after switch map to vacuum for injector)
2 is with vararam intake and possibly air leak (before starting engine i reset LTFT)
3 is with stock air box reinstall (after vararam problem)
4 vararam intake back again, i blip the throttle (not good but i do it)
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (1.76 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by vampiloutre; 10-20-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Post some pictures of your VRAM installation. We might be able to see a hose disconnected or the silicon hose not fully in the tube. The more information we have someone will be able to help you.
If you have a catch can for oil or other vacuum hose off? Pictures might help us.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #4
vampiloutre

I don’t add a catch can but pcv fresh air is Connect directly into the vararam enclosure not on duct hose as normally.
White hose is a test hose to supress air leak (locking mecanism is broken on stock line)

Old 10-21-2021, 03:36 AM   #5
vampiloutre

I will try to run SD only to see if my air leak is before or after intake manifold...
Bad plug ? Bad injector ? i don't think it's the problem because 2 row of cylinder are afected so not lucky to get this case.

Any input ?
Old 10-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #6
vampiloutre

So try the tune with maf desactivated so SD only.
Engine run great LTFT+STFT are at +7% so it seems my maf is crazy
Old 10-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
There is a known issue with weak scaling on certain MAF's that was actually discovered by Vararam themselves. It's on their website and all over Camaro5 how to identify a weak MAF and which ones are the good ones. MAF tuning has to be on the money when running a Vararam, especially the TUNE version that has the smaller tailpiece.

Not saying that's what was going on here, but it's worth a read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Per Vararam website: 'Tune models - These are setup for 430-700 Rear Wheel HP,small and large Cubic inch motors. these must be tuned when they are installed. If you do not tune them the fuel trims will be at a high level ex +18-20%+ and the MAF will be scaling low in its MZ range. Tune models are made to be tuned on the spot for max power.'

The Air Meter

During our testing we discovered a disparity between identical Camaros in terms of there reaction to changes in airflow and weather conditions.

We noticed that one car would be finicky at cold start and the MAF would scale "weak" while others would be strong and clean.

What we discovered was that the 'WEAK" meters were reading 1560-1670HZ at idle with the A/C off (OEM is 1800MHZ+)
During on road, light throttle input the MHZ would be slow and weak to respond to throttle changes (hesitation)
Wide open throttle showed 120-170MHZ lower than OEM stock (OEM is about 8600MHZ) on the same car.

Weak Meter Fuel trims-
The fuel trims would go to -15% using a VR -3% for a panel filter and -5-8% for other intakes. MHZ would drop as would the idle. When the MAF scaled in at WOT each would richen up accordingly.
Test 2 we pulled the filter from the VR completely, this resulted in fuel trims dropping down from -15% to -24%, MHZ dropped another 70-90MHZ. The car would drive fine but WOT operation was basically weak/flat and timing was low etc...
Now with one simple meter swap which takes about 1min the car immediately corrected, went back to 0% fuel trim MHZ jumped back to 1800+ all within 30 seconds! The car drove like a Rocket!

We began final confirmation by swapping air meters in cars and doing volt meter testing in static conditions. 30 meters, 3 cars = the same exact result every time. We confirmed this with VR customers tuners around the US.

The Result is that these 'weak" meters are not showing the same resistance levels as the majority of OEM meters.

This lead us to contact the GM rep and the actual manufacturer of the meters (its not Dephi) They confirmed the factory which allow us to identify each meter.

These numbers and letters are located on the back of the meter as shown.

(WHAT TO LOOK FOR) The factory code

The suspect meters have all consistently had a single letter located in this area VS a number with a letter.

Here is the catch 22

If the airflow is not changed by a substantial amount (our flow testing verifies that most of the aftermarket boxes do not) over OEM then the meter will be within OEM Tolerance but will always be "weak"
you cannot tune this out, its a fundamental issue with the resistance of the meter. It needs to be replaced. This is why some cars are finicky and some are not.

We have made arrangements through our GM parts dealer to stock meters just for this purpose.
We will be selling them at our cost (no markup at all)

You may not need the meter, estimated 90% will not.

"This meter is also used in the Corvette as well and some of those as of 2010's are starting show up

http://www.vararam.com/camaro-ramair-unit2.html
http://www.vararam.com/camaro.html
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), FlowMaster Outlaw axle back/X-Pipe, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels - Tuned by Ryan @ GPI via HP Tuners
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:22 AM   #8
vampiloutre

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
There is a known issue with weak scaling on certain MAF's that was actually discovered by Vararam themselves. It's on their website and all over Camaro5 how to identify a weak MAF and which ones are the good ones. MAF tuning has to be on the money when running a Vararam, especially the TUNE version that has the smaller tailpiece.

Not saying that's what was going on here, but it's worth a read.
Thanks, i was aware of this problem before i install my vararam, my maf is a strong model (K19)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
vampiloutre

I change the maf with an hitachi witch are reported as strong maf.
i recive a strong one
everything is ok now