Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
bbardo

Drives: "Modi" son of "Thor"
GM Hot Cam

Anybody running one in an LS3 yet ?
If so, with or without a tune ?
How does it behave ?
Thanks
Officially "Son #2 of Thor"
bbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbardo View Post
Anybody running one in an LS3 yet ?
If so, with or without a tune ?
How does it behave ?
Thanks

Couple threads on it, search "Hot Cam".

edited for broken link.

Last edited by TommyTSquared; 02-12-2010 at 03:47 PM.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
Your link brings nothing up.

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
TommyTSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Your link brings nothing up.
Hmm guess that searchid doesn't stay cached long. Here are the two most prominent threads:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=hot+cam
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=hot+cam
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
There is still a need for this thread...

I have read those other threads, and I want to pull the trigger on this mod. I found a dealer that will install it without voiding the warranty.
(but it's $2500 to do so...).

However.... I am going to try to talk him down a little.

With all the threads out there about hot cams, I have yet to hear a video of a 2010 Camaro LS3 with a GM Hotcam..... or...... see an actual rear wheel dyno curve. Robin Lawrence (from GM I think) seems to be the most knowledgable, as he has installed one in a stand alone LS3 and provided an engine dyno comparison of a bunch of cams.... http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...son/index.html... no videos though.

... I need to teach these guys how to make legible data charts in excel

So this thread should be for........... Finding the 2010 Camaro Hotcam Video..... if one exists.

If we wait a few weeks and still no video or dyno charts... I may have to be the first one to pull the trigger. I want more low end HP, low end torque, noticable lope (even with stock exhaust), and my factory warranty. Drivability is not a big issue to me... as long as I dont stall at the redlights.

I am torn b/w 2 mod plans that will cost about $2500 each...

1) LT's, HF cats, cutouts (or catback) and tune

2) GM hotcam (w/ factory tune) + muffler and resonator delete
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 02-12-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post

I have read those other threads.... and I want to pull the trigger on this mod. I found a dealer that will install it without voiding the warranty.
(but it's $2500 to do so).

However....

With all the threads out there about hot cams, I have yet to hear a video of a 2010 Camaro LS3 with a GM Hotcam..... Or...... see an actual rear wheel dyno curve. Robin Lawrence (from GM I think) seems to be the most knowledgable, as he has installed one in a stand alone LS3.... no videos though. So this thread should be for........... Finding the 2010 Camaro Hotcam Video..... if one exists.

If we wait a few weeks and still no video or dyno charts... I may have to be the first one to pull the trigger. I want more low end HP, low end torque, noticable lope (even with stock exhaust), and my factory warranty.

2) GM hotcam (w/ factory tune) + muffler delete
I am curiouse also. Pull the trigger and take one for the team. Make sure you post or at least PM me the info please.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Bell040

... added a link and dyno chart to my first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10 View Post
I am curiouse also. Pull the trigger and take one for the team. Make sure you post or at least PM me the info please.
If I do end up with the hotcam, I will post some vids... but I will be out of car money, so a dyno will have to wait.

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Last edited by Bell040; 02-12-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
you had me at cam + warrenty... up until the 2500 part, ouch! i thought i read it was like 500 for the cam... 2000 to install? ouch.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
you had me at cam + warrenty... up until the 2500 part, ouch! i thought i read it was like 500 for the cam... 2000 to install? ouch.
yeah $2500... (if I can talk him down to $2200 I will pull the trigger), but 50 HP and a exhuast lope for $500 would be insanely cheap... anyone doing mods would already have one... so $500 is not a reality unless you can install it yourself... (not likely, even for the intelligent shadetree mechanic). I would install my own LT headers, but I wouldn't even dream of doing the cam myself.

He (the service manager) said it would be 2-3 full days of labor for their best engine guy (20+ yrs experience). Also, the parts list is a little longer than just the camshaft itself. There is some kind of conversion part for the LS3 and some special bolts.

quote from Robin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
IT's on the GM Performance Parts website. Here is a link.

https://store.gmperformanceparts.com...chText=Hot+Cam
Last one on the page.

You will also need a 3 bolt 4X Cam gear. The LS3 cam gear is now a single bolt design. A LS2 non GTO gear would work. The chain and tensioner are good to go.

This modification would not be covered under warranty. Also GM does not have a calibration that would work in the Camaro. As you know GM Performance Parts has a controller that is available for their crate LS376/480. That controller is not compatable with the Camaro.

I am sure that most tuners would be able to tune that cam change.

Robin
... however my dealer said that the $2500 includes a PCM calibration for the hotcam... and would be covered under warranty

Last edited by Bell040; 02-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
TommyTSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
GM labor is NOT cheap. Especially if they don't have a guy that does these it might take others quite awhile to get things right.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
bbardo

Thanks for the info guys.
I am with Bell here. My dealer will cover me powertrain warranty wise if I use the GM cam, weather they install, or I do. Which is fantastic of them !! However, they cant cover with a tune, as the system connects your car directly to GM when they plug it in. So a tune is out of the question. Thus the reason for starting this thread, for the unanswered questions thus far, like what kind of street manners does it have - particularly WITHOUT a tune ?

Quote:

With all the threads out there about hot cams, I have yet to hear a video of a 2010 Camaro LS3 with a GM Hotcam..... or...... see an actual rear wheel dyno curve. Robin Lawrence (from GM I think) seems to be the most knowledgable, as he has installed one in a stand alone LS3 and provided an engine dyno comparison of a bunch of cams.... http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...son/index.html... no videos though.

So this thread should be for........... Finding the 2010 Camaro Hotcam Video..... if one exists.

If we wait a few weeks and still no video or dyno charts... I may have to be the first one to pull the trigger. I want more low end HP, low end torque, noticable lope (even with stock exhaust), and my factory warranty. Drivability is not a big issue to me... as long as I dont stall at the redlights.

2) GM hotcam (w/ factory tune) + muffler and resonator delete
Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbardo View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
I am with Bell here. My dealer will cover me powertrain warranty wise if I use the GM cam, weather they install, or I do. Which is fantastic of them !! However, they cant cover with a tune, as the system connects your car directly to GM when they plug it in. So a tune is out of the question. Thus the reason for starting this thread, for the unanswered questions thus far, like what kind of street manners does it have - particularly WITHOUT a tune ?

Quote:

... however my dealer said that the $2500 includes a PCM calibration for the hotcam
Is a cam calibration and a tune the same thing? If so, GM should be able to do this.... unless my sevice manager didn't do his homework before quoting me.... which is possible

Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
bbardo

Yep, same thing. If your dealer is willing to do that, the warranty would fall on their shoulders, as GM will automatically void you (as far as I understand) once it connects to their system. You just cant hide a tune from GM. Perhaps that is part of the increased labor price they are charging ? As far as I have researched so far, the new system that these cars are the first to use connects directly to GM for diagnostics and updates. The dealer has no control to hide a tune. Even a spare pcm wont work, they are tied to the vin and compare odometer readings to the other onboard systems.

The long and short is - reflash the pcm - lose the GM powertrain warranty period. What a given dealer wishes to warranty is their choice - and thier word. Be careful !!
Everything above is based on reaserching mainly on this forum, and talking to my dealer. The truth is that nobody seems to be sure about this, and I choose to err on the side of caution. Lots of people are tuning their cars though, so we'll have to see what happens when some of them get into warranty issues
Quote:

Is a cam calibration and a tune the same thing? If so, GM should be able to do this.... unless my sevice manager didn't do his homework before quoting me.... which is possible
Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
BOETIE

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 Speed Man
Where is this coming from ? I smell camshaft ,and I want it ! .....more info please, I am pumped over this ....
If we give them twenty five hunnerd dollars for a cam at dealer level ,maybe the GM rep wouldnt spank us for puttin on long tube headers...