Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
gskomes

Drives: None Existent
I need help making a decision

Hello everyone,

I have been around this site once in a while for awhile and just joined, and I could use some opinions on what I should do. (Honest opinions, I know this is a camaro forum so...)

I used to have a 98 z28 that I miss and a ninja 600r which I got in a big accident in (not my fault, guy went through a stop sign), but anyway long story short I have a itch for some kind of performance vehicle that I need to scratch.

So here is what I am looking at:
-13/14 (new or used) camaro ss 1le (trying for around 36k new 30k used)
-08/09 pontiac g8 gt/gxp (gxp if i can find one for under 25k and manual)
-c6 corvette with a crap DD on the side (vette for 30k or under)
-02 trans am ws6 under 15k with decent DD on the side (like an ats)
-try to fine a classic muscle car in decent working condition under 15k with a DD on the side also
-(last and least if nothing else works out) subaru wrx (leased of 2-3yrs then find something else)

Would look another crotch rocket but i would make a lot of people pissed of lol

I am really stuck because I like all of those cars and I would have a good time with any of them. The first 3 I would definitely be doing modifications. Also, I would prefer a manual car because i miss it.

Some extra information is I am going to be 25, close to debt free and have good credit and have a pretty good job.

If you have an opinion of which way I should go with this, please explain why I should.
gskomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
OK, couple of questions pop into my head...

How are you going to use car?? Will it be street only or will you be taking it either around or down a track?

Where will it be kept, garage, apt. lot, street?

Where will you work on it, see above.

What part of the country are you in? Weather is a factor on above two questions.

My immediate thoughts.....

Good call on staying away from the bike, for now, because if you just got healthy your family is relieved enough. No need to worry them now. Give it a few years then get back on the horse.

Pick three of your favorites and research the hell out of them. Take your time and find the right car for the right price. Research what mods you want to do and what they will cost and factor that in. Take your time and find out what is right for you. You are young and there is NO reason to get into a big debt early in life on one hand, but on the other having a hobby to keep you out of trouble is nice.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
my initial gut response for you was 1LE. it will have all the "excitement" you're looking for.. but im concerned wether you'll dd it, thinking snow.. if driving in snow different tires etc. the cost is the other issue, you could have a long road ahead. but more I think I think you get what ya want as long as you afford it. ive owned a million cars never said damn wish this wasn't such an optioned car.. 1LE my vote
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
gskomes

How are you going to use car?? Will it be street only or will you be taking it either around or down a track?

If I only get the one car (1le) it will be my DD. also, My friend goes the to track every few month and I would like to start going with him. Also , my cousin's fiance drag races, so I would also like to go with him once in a while as well. He also has connections which he could probably help me out if I would like to do anything to any of the cars.(he had a supercharged ls7 g8 gt few years ago)

Where will it be kept, garage, apt. lot, street?

It will most likely be in the driveway most of the time I would not really like it in the street, garage defiantly if I go with the DD option.

Where will you work on it, see above.

I will work most of the time in my driveway. If I need a lift I got my cousins shop or my cousin's fiance has a shop too for any major work.

What part of the country are you in? Weather is a factor on above two questions.

I live in New Jersey, so yea winter is usually doable but this winter is a bad one, and if I did get the 1LE i was planning on buying a second pair of winter rims with winter tires.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
banter

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6 Black
New camaros are great, I'm not sure if you've driven one or not but it's leagues different (better imo) than the 4th gens (I used to have a '99 camaro). You decision on 1LE or not is probably going to come down to your budget and what options you can or can't live without. G8 GXPs are damn near impossible to find (unless you live in Texas because everyone I've ever seen on sale was in Texas). C6 corvettes are fun as hell but that's about all they're good for, so you definitely want to be sure to have a decent (read: reliable) DD if you get that. At 25 you're right at the cusp of the big insurance age cliff so you should be good in that area. I think if you drove a 13 or 14 SS or a C6 you'd have a hard time convincing yourself down to an 02 WS6. As for the classic muscle car, I don't know how your financial situation is but going by you being 25 I think it will just end up a money pit unless/until you start making big money.

Just my opinions, take it for what it's worth.
banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
gskomes

I have started to talk to dealers in the arwa about a 1le and so far i was able to get it down to 37k which includes 1ss 1le, npp exhaust, back up camera, and recaro seats. I have found 13s (pretty much with every option) in the lower 30s.

I have found about 4 gxps within long driving distance but they are in the high 20ks and found plenty of gt's in the low 20s.

I found c6 (08-09 in would like the ls3) in the hi 20ks as well with 18000 to 30000 miles on them.

as for the an old car you have a good point, it will always need work

thanks
Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I would just stick with one car, as insuring and storing two cars can be a pain. The Camaro and G8 can both be great daily drivers. I'd say GXP if you have kids, Camaro if you don't.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro 1le, chevrolet, corvette, looking for, muscle car