Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Proroc

Drives: 2013 Red ZL1 Coupe
Vir on Monday the 4th FUN!!!

Took the ZL to VIR Monday and it was cold...BUR!!

Drove the guys and gals from Hooked on Driving. First time on the road course. I just autocross the car on Sunday here in Roanoke. No fun doing that. Too cold and it just slide all over the place. respectable time with no cones in 5 runs.

Now VIR was a blast. Put down a couple of back to back 2.17 passes on last run of the day. Here is the video with that run. I know is long but you will enjoy.

Eailer in the morning I went into the spin cycle in PTM mode 4 and here is the video along with a inside camera for afternoon run.

3000 miles now..7.97 1/8 mile on Drs, Autocross, and 2.14 full course at VIR.

SOLD!!! 2010 BLACK ON BLACK 2SS LS3, WHTIE STRIPES, Permachrome factory rims widen 10.75 rear 305/35 nittos, 275s p-zeros on the front, LIVERNOIS TUNED MAGIE-550RWHP, ROTO FAB, EBACH PROKIT, SLP emblems
Proroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Proroc

Cool timer on board

I used the onboard timer and boy it was so cool. I got my top speed and lap times for all my runs plus my average speed for the whole run.
Name:  01b6e2487647293c5b3c814ba85438eca1c24df37e.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  01e75c957e215ba80d8f83785e202ef869c08de678.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  78.9 KB

Name:  0181e842695aee872cf80d33d9c5f04b9f64b9efda.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  80.6 KB

Sorry about the quality but it was dark on the way home and I used the Iphone.

This will stay in the car until you press reset on the timer.

I love this car. It is a beast!!

Still all stock except the Roto Fab.

I have drag raced it, Autocrossed it and road raced it....what next

SOLD!!! 2010 BLACK ON BLACK 2SS LS3, WHTIE STRIPES, Permachrome factory rims widen 10.75 rear 305/35 nittos, 275s p-zeros on the front, LIVERNOIS TUNED MAGIE-550RWHP, ROTO FAB, EBACH PROKIT, SLP emblems
Old 11-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha

Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
nice, great driving. (not mentioning the spin, but I've done it too)
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Awesome vids,,,,,,,
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Nice driving! I will be at VIR on Saturday and Sunday with the Audi Club. Great track.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
great video. i love the lap timer too, i didn't know it gave top speed and averages for the laps
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
awesome videos, looked like lots of fun
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Proroc

We I got her cleaned back up today..vacumed the grass out of it. The wheels came clean and you can even tell the tires have been on the track. It didn't roll over the sides at all. I am impressed with it.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

I watched most of your videos...great job. It is no wonder you passed so many cars because you are very smooth. You keep the corner speed way up too which helps your momentum. My instructors would have yelled if I took my hand off the wheel in corner entry...but you make that work well I must admit. Can't wait for this weekend!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
Proroc

Yea I figured someone would watch it and may something to me the next time I go out. I like using the one hand to brace myself. If I had a 4 point hardness that would hold me in tight I could use both hands. As you noticed the key is being smooth regardless of how you hold it.

Have fun and just make sure you start out with at least the ESC turned on.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Stephen12ZL1

Oh yeah. I ran in PTM 3 many of the track sessions to learn the abilities of the ZL1. I have been there twice with this car. The last session I ran in PTM 5 and I didn't have any incidents. I am going to try some stickier tires this time to see how they help the handling. Toyo Proxes R888 285/35-20 all the way around in a square setup. I think my lap times according to my go pro were in the 2.17-2.19 range last time I was there. The lap timer is cool and I will definitely use it this time.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Nice video, and good job on those turns! Love the sound. Never been on a track so this is probably an amateur question, but here goes; when coming out of the turn and you put full throttle down does the PTM just slightly decrease the throttle and keep speed at optimum peak or do you really feel it decrease? My only experience with the nannies is on the street and once in awhile I'll be making a left or right turn with way too much acceleration and the power completely dies down even though my foot is still down, until it straightens out, but while I have no traction and I'm just sliding around the power just dies. I guess to me it feels like its decreasing the power way more than it would need to keep it under control. But then again I'm really sliding her butt sideways!

I have a big circle at the end of my street and I've put it PTM1 just to try it out, but the most I'll get is a little tire squeal. I haven't been able to put down or keep down enough power to ever feel the nannies kick in, so that's my beginners skill level. Whenever it starts to chirp and slide I always panic and let off. Last question; from my understanding of how the nannies work, I should be able to go around that circle at full throttle and the nannies should decrease the throttle? Is that correct? And I do mean full throttle, just stomp on it and keep it down, or am I misunderstanding how the PTMs work. I know I'd still have to keep it pointed and going the right direction. Like I said; I always lose my nerve and let off.

Looking forward to your next video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Proroc

Be safe in the cooler temps and use the PTMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Nice video, and good job on those turns! Love the sound. Never been on a track so this is probably an amateur question, but here goes; when coming out of the turn and you put full throttle down does the PTM just slightly decrease the throttle and keep speed at optimum peak or do you really feel it decrease? My only experience with the nannies is on the street and once in awhile I'll be making a left or right turn with way too much acceleration and the power completely dies down even though my foot is still down, until it straightens out, but while I have no traction and I'm just sliding around the power just dies. I guess to me it feels like its decreasing the power way more than it would need to keep it under control. But then again I'm really sliding her butt sideways!

I have a big circle at the end of my street and I've put it PTM1 just to try it out, but the most I'll get is a little tire squeal. I haven't been able to put down or keep down enough power to ever feel the nannies kick in, so that's my beginners skill level. Whenever it starts to chirp and slide I always panic and let off. Last question; from my understanding of how the nannies work, I should be able to go around that circle at full throttle and the nannies should decrease the throttle? Is that correct? And I do mean full throttle, just stomp on it and keep it down, or am I misunderstanding how the PTMs work. I know I'd still have to keep it pointed and going the right direction. Like I said; I always lose my nerve and let off.

Looking forward to your next video.

Let me start by saying if shock the tires (Hammering the throttle while going in to a tight turn) like i think you are doing in a circle I don't thing the PTM can control it. If you started out like on a skid pad and keep increasing the throttle the PTM would be sensing what you are doing and would anticipate you throttle so once you went to far it would control the throttle to help keep you from spinning. I hope that helps you understand how it works. It will only increase the throttle to point you have it pressed down and if it is getting traction. Yes I will also take of the throttle to prevent loss of control but sometimes it may be to late.

I auto cross the car on the day before I went to the track and the PTMs were use less because the car was so violent it simply wouldn't let me accelerate at all.

The way the system is design to work in mode 2 and 3 is once you reach the apex of a turn you floor the throttle and it will sense you coming out of the turn based on pitch, yaw, Gforces and steering input and it knows you are turning wheel to go straight. Then It will keep you throttle to maximum controllable settting to give a awesome launch out of the turns. I have done that on the street on a curvy mountain road before it got cold and it work perfect.

As you can see mode 4 takes the ESC out so it acted more like what you have experienced. The tires are so hard when they are cold like that if fells like Ice. If I had been in mode 3 I wouldn't have spun.

If you listen to the in car video you can hear the ESC in the long sweeping turns working with me. I am trying to drive the throttle just to were I hear and feel it working so I could get a better feel so if I were to try it with the ESC.

Sorry for the long explanation but if you read you manual it talks about driving car out of the corner exits using the PTM and it does exactly as it says but again you must have warm tire. even if you just drove done a highway for 30 mins and tried what you are doing the tires are still no sticky.

That is why GM tells to only us the PTMs on the track and I will tell you get them hot but doing some slower laps feeling the slippage before running it hard.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proroc View Post
Let me start by saying if shock the tires (Hammering the throttle while going in to a tight turn) like i think you are doing in a circle I don't thing the PTM can control it. If you started out like on a skid pad and keep increasing the throttle the PTM would be sensing what you are doing and would anticipate you throttle so once you went to far it would control the throttle to help keep you from spinning. I hope that helps you understand how it works. It will only increase the throttle to point you have it pressed down and if it is getting traction. Yes I will also take of the throttle to prevent loss of control but sometimes it may be to late.

I auto cross the car on the day before I went to the track and the PTMs were use less because the car was so violent it simply wouldn't let me accelerate at all.

The way the system is design to work in mode 2 and 3 is once you reach the apex of a turn you floor the throttle and it will sense you coming out of the turn based on pitch, yaw, Gforces and steering input and it knows you are turning wheel to go straight. Then It will keep you throttle to maximum controllable settting to give a awesome launch out of the turns. I have done that on the street on a curvy mountain road before it got cold and it work perfect.

As you can see mode 4 takes the ESC out so it acted more like what you have experienced. The tires are so hard when they are cold like that if fells like Ice. If I had been in mode 3 I wouldn't have spun.

If you listen to the in car video you can hear the ESC in the long sweeping turns working with me. I am trying to drive the throttle just to were I hear and feel it working so I could get a better feel so if I were to try it with the ESC.

Sorry for the long explanation but if you read you manual it talks about driving car out of the corner exits using the PTM and it does exactly as it says but again you must have warm tire. even if you just drove done a highway for 30 mins and tried what you are doing the tires are still no sticky.

That is why GM tells to only us the PTMs on the track and I will tell you get them hot but doing some slower laps feeling the slippage before running it hard.
Thanks, good info. I don't stomp the throttle, gently/rapidly increase my speed. Today I ran some errands so she was good and warmed up and the temp was 56 so way better than yesterday. I put it in PTM1 and went into the circle and steadily increased my speed. No understeer today, but I was still unable to get the nannies to kick in, I just didn't put down enough power. Or I chickened out before I really lost traction. A little bit of squealing and I never did look at my speed so I don't know how fast I got up to, but my HUD was set to measure the G's and it read 1.20 when I pulled out of the turn and into my driveway. Not sure how good that's considered, but it was fun!

I've read the manual and understand the part about applying full throttle coming out of the turn. I have a hi-way spot that merges into another hi-way so even in my pickup I can do 50 to 60 in that turn even though it's posted 45. Many many nites I tried that turn going into it at 70 or so and then 3/4 qtrs thru I put it at full throttle just like the manual states. Tried this two dozen times or more, in PTM's 1, 2, and 3, and as soon as I was doing over 100mph and still in the turn, with no loss of traction whatsoever, every time I let off because I just didn't have enough confidence in my abilities. Put simply, it got too scary and I chickened out.

Maybe one day I'll find an experienced driver who can sit in the passenger and coach me, that I'm sure will help. I watched an episode of 5th Gear and they let a novice driver do some laps, then started doing different mods to the car to see if they could improve the lap times. Better tires, better air intake and better exhaust all of which helped, but not all that much. Then they put the car back to stock like it was for the first laps, but put a Pro Driver in the passenger seat to instruct the driver. Well sure enough that made a huge difference and produced the fastest lap times, even faster than the HP increase or better tires.

I noticed that when I whip around my circle I use to keep my eyes down looking like just in front of me. Then I watched a video someone here posted and the instructor would say from time to time "eyes up". So now I remind myself to look far ahead and I'm able to go much faster than before. Be nice to have someone along who knows what they're doing and can give good instructions!

Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote