Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
The issue I see here is that one side is barely bent, the other significantly more. If they conform to under side why is one way bent the other barely? I didnt see a fillet eother bushing to plate which looks like a very high stress riser. Anyhow, not comfortable with what I see but I will ask somebody at work to check flatness of strut tower. I hit curbs at track, some hard, stuff bending like this doesnt make me feel good.

I did not throw them away and still have em as delivered, tried to install passenger side and while trying to install passenger side felt it rocking on the underside, which made me look at flatness. I appreciate your instant reaponse Mach and no hard feelings here, tx for the refund.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #16
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
The cars vary from one to another, as the strut towers are just two layers of stamped steel, with the underside layer being formed where the OEM strut mount is located strictly by friction. The tooling doesnt have to be precise in that location due to the foam OEM mount conforming to that area. If you have ever seen the top caps of the OEM strut mount plates sit slightly different in one car to another, this is why. I have the 3D models from GM, they are a little different than what my car measures out to in those locations. They use the same tooling for stamping those parts, and it gets serviced just like any wear item, the first part after repair and service looks different than the last part right before service, which can be thousands of parts. I see this regularly with the rear subframe as well, when installing solid bushings. They made the tolerances to fit a rubber bushing, not a solid one. The tubes they fit in are seldom even round.
I would have been happy to replace the bearing holder (what we call it) with new pieces, In generally do so at near cost, and will offer to do so for the next buyer if you return them.
I will post up pictures of mine when I get to the shop, they are the original set from prototyping, over 25k miles with full coilover suspension upgrades on a full weight convertible with roots blower. It just now needs the bearings serviced.
2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #17
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post

I did not throw them away and still have em as delivered, tried to install passenger side and while trying to install passenger side felt it rocking on the underside, which made me look at flatness. I appreciate your instant response Mach and no hard feelings here, tx for the refund.
No worries. Glad you didn't toss them, because once the refund finishes up, if you haven't seen it already - they are still my plates and they are still for sale.

For others who might be interested in grabbing these - it sounds like this is the nature of how these plates work - and I certainly appreciate that the developer was nice enough to contribute that knowledge here. Based on knowing Mgizzles contributions to this forum and background with tracking I very quickly figured they had been abused or damaged and issued a refund to him - which in hindsight was premature, but I wanted to do the right thing and give the buyer the benefit of the doubt.

Sounds to me that if someone wishing to install camber plates wants the piece of mind that they are flat before they get installed and conformed to the car - they'll be shopping new - and of a completely different design (which is gonna require research - maybe Moreno or Vorchlag?) - which are substantially more money than buying used camber plates.
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #18
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Mach, tx for the refund I appreciate that. I will ship em back out to you asap.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #19
2012LS3VERT

Drives: 2012 2SSRS Vert, Black w/M6
Mach83,
As stated, here is the pictures of my plates after 25k miles. The left is passenger side, right side is drivers side. They are formed slightly different, as each car is different, and even the same car from side to side. This is the same amount of bend I observed when I initially installed them 3 years ago. Installed, drove around the block, retorqued, drove about 100 miles, retorqued. By then they were fully conformed. They have been off the car at least 8 times doing other suspension testing, along with pulling the motor out the bottom. Havent moved since then.
They are on a granite surface plate, which is perfectly flat, no attempt to skew the view.
Attached Images

2012LS3VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #20
johnnyhxw

Drives: 2014 1LE
still have it for sale?
johnnyhxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #21
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Sorry guys, I don't come here often anymore. These were originally mine, I sold them to Mach83. As mentioned, they are not "shot" or "too weak". They are designed this way, I'm glad 2012LS3VERT was able to chime in. Mach83, you have a PM