Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Chevy Volt: Safe Sound Alert for the blind

...one-upping the sorry Prius at every turn...I love it!
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...v/1125_GM_Volt

Quote:
DETROIT – Chevrolet, General Motors and the National Federation of the Blind are cooperating to identify a safe level of sound to alert the blind and other pedestrians to the presence of near silent-running electric and hybrid vehicles.

“We are confident electric vehicles can produce a safe and acceptable level of sound to alert blind pedestrians to their presence,” said John Paré, NFB executive director of strategic initiatives. “We look forward to working with Chevrolet and GM to identify an appropriate sound that will alert pedestrians in the most effective and least disruptive way possible.”

Members of the National Federation of the Blind and engineers from GM began meeting earlier this year to understand the safety needs of pedestrians with respect to quiet vehicles, and to work on solutions for the benefit of pedestrians, cyclists, runners, children and other members of the public.

Several NFB members recently experienced a demonstration of the pedestrian warning alert on a pre-production Chevrolet Volt electric vehicle driven at various speeds by chief engineer Andrew Farah. While visiting GM’s Milford Proving Ground, they also evaluated the alert from the front, sides and rear of the car.

“We have significant background in the area of pedestrian alerts dating to our work on our first electric car, the EV1,” Farah said, “The most important thing is to listen to the people who will interact with these vehicles in everyday life.”

Deborah Kent Stein, who chairs the NFB’s Committee on Automobile and Pedestrian Safety, said, “A recent report from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) demonstrated that the silent operation of hybrid vehicles is an issue for all pedestrians, not just the blind. In certain situations, electric or hybrid vehicles are twice as likely to be involved in collisions with pedestrians. The NFB looks forward to working with the safety agency in the crafting of appropriate standards establishing an acceptable level of minimum vehicle sound.”

“The National Federation of the Blind appreciates the opportunity to work with General Motors on this problem,” said Dr. Marc Maurer, president of the National Federation of the Blind. “We urge all automobile manufacturers to work with the blind in designing vehicle sounds to alert us to the approach, speed and direction of vehicles so that both drivers and pedestrians can safely use America’s roadways.”
Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Bullitt

Drives: Horse & Buggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
...one-upping the sorry Prius at every turn...
For twice as much money.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
So they need to quit forcing cars to be quieter. Open headers should be legal, for pedestrians' sake of course!
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
For twice as much money.
And more than 2 times the capability...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
seems like they cant win here.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
And more than 2 times the capability...

I thought the Pious was good for about 4 miles electric only, and cost $22,000 (base model). Doing a little math here ... ~$40,000 Volt - $7500 rebate = ~$32,500. 32500/22000 = ~1.5. And 40 miles / 4 miles = 10

So more accurately, you get 10x the electric car for 50% more. I'm comparing electric range because if the Volt uses its gas engine it still supposed to have roughly the same fuel economy as a Pious.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
they can always used spoked wheels and we can just clip baseball cards in them to make noise....
Old 11-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

I thought the Pious was good for about 4 miles electric only, and cost $22,000 (base model). Doing a little math here ... ~$40,000 Volt - $7500 rebate = ~$32,500. 32500/22000 = ~1.5. And 40 miles / 4 miles = 10

So more accurately, you get 10x the electric car for 50% more. I'm comparing electric range because if the Volt uses its gas engine it still supposed to have roughly the same fuel economy as a Pious.
I did say MORE than 2 times...

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
and that's one car I would consider buying but a bike is more fun
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
they can always used spoked wheels and we can just clip baseball cards in them to make noise....
Even better.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
You know, I've always wondered how many Mickey Mantle rookie cards that got done with.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You know, I've always wondered how many Mickey Mantle rookie cards that got done with.
I was too young for him.. but Roger Maris, dang I know I used a bunch of his cards in my bicycle spokes...