Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
IXFKS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
DIM HID headlight replacements SOLUTION

I have seen a lot of people have the same problem i recently had. i did a lot of searching forums and the internet, checked all my wiring battery, etc.... none of that was bad so i was close to buying new projectors, headlights, bulbs, whatever, or just go get a pro to do it. but try this first before you spend anymore money if you currently have this problem, or will in the future with HID projectors.

When you pull out the bulbs that were NOT dim, pay attention to how the bezel is placed on the bulb, it will not be straight up and down, it will be canted to the side an 8th of a circle. it HAS to be put back on that way on the new bulb or the lens will not focus the light properly and you will have dim lights. if you have the bezel correct, when you install the new lights, whether you get $40 chinese made, or $100 sylvanas, they will be as bright as you remember.

here is a link to another poster with a DIY for changing bulbs. The second Picture is how the bezel goes onto the light. (thank you, GearHeadPeter)

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120592

If this doesnt fix it... maybe it is time to spend some money.
IXFKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Redgt03

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Did that fix your issue? The bulb was not in correctly?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
IXFKS

Thats exactly what fixed it for me, i turned the bezel from straight up and down, to the side as in the second picture of that link, and put it back in. it was a night and day difference.

just before i saw the picture of that bezel, i was playing with the light while it was on without it locked in place. as i moved the light i saw that the beam got brighter in some areas and more focused. in other ways it was barely visible in the evening light. then i saw the picture, moved the bezel and locked it in place, and it worked 100%. when the light is properly placed, the plug and wire should be pointed straight down or about, as well.

This wont be the fix for every one i bet, but both of my head lights were consistently dim. there was no flickering that would indicate a wiring issue. it was all how the light was seated in the projector.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Redgt03

Well I will def try that first when I get the car out of storage. I replaced the bulb and the light is just not focused like the driver side. I assumed something inside the headlight was messed up.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
IXFKS

let me know if this fixes your problem, that would be sweet!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Redgt03

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXFKS View Post
let me know if this fixes your problem, that would be sweet!
I sure will! Car won’t be back out till March so it will be awhile lol
Old 11-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
I have seen a lot of people have the same problem i recently had. i did a lot of searching forums and the internet, checked all my wiring battery, etc.... none of that was bad so i was close to buying new projectors, headlights, bulbs, whatever, or just go get a pro to do it. but try this first before you spend anymore money if you currently have this problem, or will in the future with HID projectors.

When you pull out the bulbs that were NOT dim, pay attention to how the bezel is placed on the bulb, it will not be straight up and down, it will be canted to the side an 8th of a circle. it HAS to be put back on that way on the new bulb or the lens will not focus the light properly and you will have dim lights. if you have the bezel correct, when you install the new lights, whether you get $40 chinese made, or $100 sylvanas, they will be as bright as you remember.

here is a link to another poster with a DIY for changing bulbs. The second Picture is how the bezel goes onto the light. (thank you, GearHeadPeter)

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120592

If this doesnt fix it... maybe it is time to spend some money.
You use the term Bezel, are you referring to the black Locking Ring ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
IXFKS

yeah, black locking ring would have been a better term to use, I just didnt think of that name at the time i posted. thank you
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
camguynj

Quote:
yeah, black locking ring would have been a better term to use, I just didnt think of that name at the time i posted. thank you
Thanks for clarifying
Old 12-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
anthony.martinez

Drives: 2010
i ordered miromoto d2s 4.0. they will be in tomorrow.

Last edited by anthony.martinez; 12-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.
anthony.martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #11
anthony.martinez

update: all i have to say is if you have the motivation, tools and ability to do a d2s 4.0 retrofit. they are on point
Old 12-04-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.martinez View Post
update: all i have to say is if you have the motivation, tools and ability to do a d2s 4.0 retrofit. they are on point
Couple of questions... 1) did you have to trim/mod the OEM projector mount? 2) did you have to align them ?
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 AM   #13
anthony.martinez

yes and yes. i trimmed my mounts and my bezel but the reward is worth it i also bought the cbb lights. they are sweet

Last edited by anthony.martinez; 12-05-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:30 AM   #14
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.martinez View Post
yes and yes. i trimmed my mounts and my bezel but the reward is worth it i also bought the cbb lights. they at sweet
How did you align them?

Tags
dim headlights, hid install, hid problems