Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
SS161

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
just bought a 2014 SS with 2,700 miles on it..

So this car is like brand new! But, the oil is 5 years old. When should I change it? And, any recommendations on the best oil to run? Thanks!
SS161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If it was me, I'd change it ASAP!
I would imagine the oil has absorbed plenty of moisture just sitting.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #3
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Do you know for sure that it’s never been changed? Kind of doubt it, but I would just change it immediately regardless just to be sure.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Even Mobil 1 recommends replacing their full syn oil annually, regardless of mileage driven.

Its not so much the water in the oil, its weak acids created in the oil by combustion blow by/contaminants. Small (read normal, not leaks) amounts of condensed water from combustion process will vaporize when the car is driven regularly and the engine up to full operating temp. The ethanol in 10% blended gasoline is terrible for engines and fuel tanks when sitting up. Corrosive.

walmart stores sell Supertech full synthetic 5-30 oil for approx $16 a gallon. What I now use. Its walmart brand but is produced by one of the major lubricant manufacturers and bottled for walmart. Mobil 1 is $24 a gal for comparison (what I used before). Order some wix or GM filters from amazon.

Last edited by polizzio; 02-10-2019 at 10:05 AM.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Asap on the oil, use Mobil1, also start looking into getting tires, 6 year old tires are throw aways regardless of miles on them, the dexcool antifreeze has a 5 year lifespan, and the battery is getting close to needing replacement too. It would be smart to flush the brake fluid out every 5 years to avoid collecting moisture in the brake system.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Lightbulb

I would definitely change your oil as soon as possible regardless. After five long years your motor oil is degraded and oxidated. Mobil 1 5W30 and Valvoline SynPower 5W30 synthetic motor oil are both excellent choices. GM highly recommends only using synthetic motor oils and AC Delco or equivalent oil filter. You should at least do an oil change every six months if time comes before mileage comes on your Chevrolet Camaro SS. Doing an oil change is cheap insurance and well worth doing.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:34 AM   #7
SS161

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS
Thanks for the input! I figured that I should change it. Opinions on cam? I want to make her breathe better. Something thats not too radical. But, something that defintely has a lopier idle and after a dyno tune and getting rid of the resonators, maybe close to 50-75 hp gain?
SS161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Don't let the doom and gloom senario guys in here make you spend more money than you have to.

I have a super low mileage 2015 as well with the original tires and they're fine. No cracks or splits and they hold air for months until I have to top them off. On your car, if it has been sitting for a long time, they may be heavily flat spotted.

Fuel can be corrosive if left to sit. Our fuel tanks are composite so no worries there. I'd be more concerned about the injectors. However, some fuel injection cleaner run through the tank can help with that.

As for the battery, if it hasn't been kept on a trickle charger, it's probably toast so I'd replace it. First, I'd get it load tested just to be sure thouh. No need to be replacing things if you don't have to.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
OP, post pics.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
Turbo_J89

Drives: 2015 BVM Camaro 1LE (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

I have a super low mileage 2015 as well with the original tires and they're fine. No cracks or splits and they hold air for months until I have to top them off. On your car, if it has been sitting for a long time, they may be heavily flat spotted.
The original tires on your car were manufactured in 2014 or 2015. 5 year old tires are still safe unless you've been parking it outside in an extreme environment such as the Arizona desert.

The industry standard recommendation is to replace tires at 7 years old regardless of tread depth. The tires may visibly look fine at 7 years old but it's not done for cosmetic reasons. Rubber loses it's elastic properties and that reduces traction and increases the chance of a blowout.

If this a garage queen and not pushed to the limits MAYBE consider going a little longer but replacing your tires based on how they look or their ability to hold air could be dangerous.
Turbo_J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #11
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
I drive more spirited than most and notice tires hardening after only a year, I would not drive fast on 5 year old tires, but would not yet worry about their safety at legal speeds either. My '15 had original tires when I got it last year, and they were pretty hard and had a lot less traction than a new set of the same.

As for the fluids, I'd change them sooner rather than later, probably starting with the oil and brake fluid.

(I've changed everything on my car besides coolant, but I purchased that last week to prepare to change. I'm at 46K now. bought my car at 14K in 11/2017)

I use redline 5w30 oil and wix filters, ATE brake fluid, and redline transmission and differential fluid, oem spec weights. No issues so far and I've read that the redline synthetic oils (and other premium brands) will flow a bit better than some "cheaper" brands at low temps while still holding its edge in warmer conditions. I primarily commute but would like to pass 200K without rebuilds so I invest in better oil and change early.

Heads up: The acdelco filters use plastic and glued cores and I have seen a few failures reported. I gave mine away after reading that and went back to my favorite, WIX.

Congratulations on the car, I bet you'll enjoy it. Read into the ECU resetting if it seems less fast than the others. It may have old gas after sitting for so long and might benefit from a reset after a refill with fresh premium fuel.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
OP, post pics.
Yep....pics please!
Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #13
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS161 View Post
So this car is like brand new! But, the oil is 5 years old. When should I change it? And, any recommendations on the best oil to run? Thanks!
I put around 2K a year on mine and every spring it gets an oil change. The old oil still looks like honey. I use Mobil 1.