Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Oil Leakage Problem -- Resolved!

I currently own a 2012 ZL1 (VIN #1526) that has been to Hell and back. After weeks in the shop, a motor replacement, and over $17,000 in repairs, I finally have an answer as to why oil kept leaking... a $0.40 rubber grommet.

I have been posting on this issue for quite some time (refer to the forum "Serious ZL1 Defects"), but thought it may be helpful to start a new forum to better share this issue with other Camaro enthusiasts that may run into this problem.

I'll try to keep this brief. After following the break-in period per the owner's manual, I ran my ZL1 into high engine RPM's (5-6,000). After driving it awhile I started smelling burning oil, and to my surprise, could see oil puddling under the car. My ZL1 was in and out of the shop for over a month with the Service Technician trying to diagnose the problem. Rendering the fourth attempt and consulting numerous engineers, the oil leak was due to a mis-punched grommet. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's that there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs.

Thank you again to those that provided me with feedback and support throughout this tremendous headache. I hope no one else encounters this issue; however, if someone does, please don't hesitate to communicate it with the rest of us here on the forum.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
I'm glad you got everything in order and I"m glad you're a member of this community and was able to share your issue. Now go enjoy the beast!
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
at least now you can drive that thing and enjoy it till the new one comes in. If it were me i would have some track days and autocross as well as drag strip events in my near future. have fun now with this one cause when the new one comes in its back to break in
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Glad your Z is back up and running Cam.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
It must have been a nightmare, this gives me second thought about modding, then having GM deny the repairs...
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
I am soooo glad for you. It sucks that your car was down for so long, but at least it is fixed now. Are they going to give you the original motor, so that you could have it for all numbers matching since nothing was wrong with it? I feel it's the right thing for them to do since it's been down so long. I remember reading one of the people said about checking the PCV system.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
I currently own a 2012 ZL1 (VIN #1526) that has been to Hell and back. After weeks in the shop, a motor replacement, and over $17,000 in repairs, I finally have an answer as to why oil kept leaking... a $0.40 rubber grommet.

I have been posting on this issue for quite some time (refer to the forum "Serious ZL1 Defects"), but thought it may be helpful to start a new forum to better share this issue with other Camaro enthusiasts that may run into this problem.

I'll try to keep this brief. After following the break-in period per the owner's manual, I ran my ZL1 into high engine RPM's (5-6,000). After driving it awhile I started smelling burning oil, and to my surprise, could see oil puddling under the car. My ZL1 was in and out of the shop for over a month with the Service Technician trying to diagnose the problem. Rendering the fourth attempt and consulting numerous engineers, the oil leak was due to a mis-punched grommet. The blocked grommet caused pressure to build in the engine which caused oil to leak passed the main seal in both motors at high RPM's.

It seems to me like this could be a sporadic issue with the ZL1 PCV System, if it is ZL1 specific, and if in fact this mis-manufactured grommet was not a one-time error. So if anyone finds that after driving the car at high engine RPM's that there is noticeable oil leaking, I would definitely check the PCV System before assuming anymore serious repairs.

Thank you again to those that provided me with feedback and support throughout this tremendous headache. I hope no one else encounters this issue; however, if someone does, please don't hesitate to communicate it with the rest of us here on the forum.
DING, DING, DING - I beleive I called it first back in the original post.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=146
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Fanatic View Post
DING, DING, DING - I beleive I called it first back in the original post.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=146
Congratulations! I remember reading your post. Amazing how simple the problem actually was, and even the tech didn't see it. Glad it's resolved.

Is this the grommet where the PVC valve goes into the engine? I'm sure many folks who've smelled oil after a run would like to check this.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Congratulations! I remember reading your post. Amazing how simple the problem actually was, and even the tech didn't see it. Glad it's resolved.

Is this the grommet where the PVC valve goes into the engine? I'm sure many folks who've smelled oil after a run would like to check this.
Thank you for following the issue. As I understand, this particular grommet goes into the intake manifold. I really do hope others look into this before seeing oil purge, it would prevent other issues and aesthetics from being compromised. I have an underbody that will never be cleaned of burned oil completely and a scored exhaust.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Im glad you are all fixed up Cam
Old 07-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
goPC

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
Thank you for following the issue. As I understand, this particular grommet goes into the intake manifold. I really do hope others look into this before seeing oil purge, it would prevent other issues and aesthetics from being compromised. I have an underbody that will never be cleaned of burned oil completely and a scored exhaust.
So is GM no longer providing you with a new 2013 like originally promised?
goPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goPC View Post
So is GM no longer providing you with a new 2013 like originally promised?
They are still replacing the 2012 with the 2013 with a production date of 8/27/12. I haven't heard anything otherwise. I don't feel as confident in my 2012, especially rendering the damage that has occured after the fact. Even that I tried to overlook, but unfortunately the peace of mind is still gone.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
cosmoZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 "Scarlett", 6 spd. Coupe
Just a quick congrats to you the way you handled yourself through this entire process. I'm sorry you had to endure the stress of seeing your car being torn down. I'm also very happy for you getting a new car from Chevrolet. All involved are due big kudos for their actions. Again, Job well done Cam.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Congrats!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, leak, motor, oil, problem