Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
My car did something similar and it turned out to be a loose passenger head ground... It would just fall on it's face and then pick right back up and buck back and forth.

It doesn't sound like you have the exact symptoms I did but it is something to think about. I replaced plugs and wires in my quest... turned out they were fine.

I have seen that before several times too, some aftermarket heads do not have the holes drilled as deep, so you go and tighten the bolt but the ground is still loose.
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #16
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Canuk, he has a wideband just not hooked into hptuners.

Camper, if it isn't fixed by Sunday bring it over or I'm coming to you.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
So have you tried listening to the engine to hear what noises are being made when it thinks it is hearing some knock ?
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Fluidmachine

Drives: Soon to be - 2010 Camaro SS
Camper, any update on that MAP sensor switchout? Make any difference at all?
Fluidmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
So have you tried listening to the engine to hear what noises are being made when it thinks it is hearing some knock ?
Dude, my blower sounds like a jet airplane. I can't hear my motor let alone something that sounds off..
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
I had the same problem with my TT Camaro, the only way I was able to get rid of it was by disabling dynamic airflow prediction (DAP) in the tune. This essentially makes the tune MAF only throughout the entire RPM range. See the attached screen shot, setting the high RPM disable to a low value disables DAP. Your's is likely set at the 4K RPM range.

There are ways to modify the DAP coefficients such that the prediction algorithm will work for a boost application, which I can explain but in all honesty my car ran just fine in all MAF mode. Just make sure your tuner dials in the MAF curve accurately.

If this is the problem, you should find another tuner as that fellow is not familiar with the E38 and higher PCM's.
Attached Images

Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Camper, have you considering going speed density?

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
I had the same problem with my TT Camaro, the only way I was able to get rid of it was by disabling dynamic airflow prediction (DAP) in the tune. This essentially makes the tune MAF only throughout the entire RPM range. See the attached screen shot, setting the high RPM disable to a low value disables DAP. Your's is likely set at the 4K RPM range.

There are ways to modify the DAP coefficients such that the prediction algorithm will work for a boost application, which I can explain but in all honesty my car ran just fine in all MAF mode. Just make sure your tuner dials in the MAF curve accurately.

If this is the problem, you should find another tuner as that fellow is not familiar with the E38 and higher PCM's.
Steve, I believe it is already maf only.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Camper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Yes but I was previously SD but the best tuner in the Phoenix market wanted me to swap to MAF. I don't have a great reason other than he wanted to...
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Steve@HPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post

SD is likely his problem now; the E38 is a hybrid in that below 4K RPM it uses DAP to calculate airflow (rather than looking up the in an VE table). The DAP coefficients are a hassle to adjust in an SD tuning process, especially with HP tuners.

HPT does offer a 3 bar custom OS that can be used to do a traditional (old school) SD tune. I put it on our TT Camaro, but in all honesty it didn't perform any better than the OEM OS in MAF only mode. Also, it takes 4X the time to dial in the tune, it's not worth the hassle IMO.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
Steve@HPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Steve, I believe it is already maf only.
Interesting...sure sounds like the exact issue I faced. Camper, if you have it send me your .hpt file and I can do a sanity check on it for you.

BTW, I would avoid going into boost until you get this resolved.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #26
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Speed Density tends to work better on setups like this if you ask me, the more complicated things get, the less you want to use the MAF Sensor. Not to mention SD will usually make more power, drive better under partial throttle (why I think you should use it), and the MAF sensor is just a restriction point anyways.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I'll be handling some remote tuning on this to try to get it in line. Camper is an awesome guy and I just want his car to run correct.

Look at the narrowbands just drop out, so its going real on the lean side based upon the narrowbands and wideband reporting that Camper has told me. Any situation like that will induce knock of course.

This car can be tuned fine on GMVE/MAF, MAF only or VE/SD only... Just pick one. However this tune was setup by turning off the LTrims and putting it in MAF mode only is definitely not my choice with a blower setup without having multiple bypass valves at this level. You just won't dump the air fast enough to have a steady MAF curve.

Making adjustments on the GMVE in non-custom OS in HPTuners is actually very easy. Use Bluecat's EQ>VE program. The SD tunes take less time because you are only tuning a base VE table, not going back and forth between turning off the MAP, dialing in the GMVE and turning back on MAF...

Last edited by Matt @ FSP; 10-10-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
Camper
Banned

nevermind found it

Last edited by Camper; 10-09-2013 at 08:45 PM.