Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Help with window gunk!

Normally when I wash my car and roll down the window afterwards, the window comes back up wet on the outside surface. I guess water gets behind the seal in between the outside of the window and the door.

Recently its been real windy and I think a little bit of dirt and dust got behind the seal too. Now after washing the car if I roll down my window it comes back up with dirty water on the outside surface and I have to clean it. This only lasts for about a day until the water where the seal is dries up.

My door has never been taken apart or windows tinted so I dont know how dust gets in there. I do drive a lot with the windows down but never when its windy or in bad weather so that could account for some dust/dirt. I blow dry my car with a pretty powerful leaf blower so I make sure the window seal dries.

Is there a way I can clean this? I was thinking of rolling down the window all the way and maybe cleaning the opening into the door with Q-tips or maybe squeezing a damp rag into the opening and wiping it clean.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Theres really no avoiding that, the water that runs down in the seam is going to stay there until it dries. Best thing to do is to not roll your window down for at least the first few hours after washing.

Leave the windows up immediately after the wash and park in direct sunlight if you can... the heat will at least dry it out a little faster. On a summer day if I wash, then do the interior (vacuum, clean, dress) out in the sun the water is all but dried completely. In winter it takes longer.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Cool thanks