Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #57
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Would like to see the update question posed to Ask Al, instead of speculating... I am pretty sure I know the answet isn’t going to be what I want.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #58
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by bologdl View Post
Why can Google and Microsoft upgrade their OS across multiple hardware platforms but GM is unable too with My Link? I'll bet they can they just do not want to they always want you to pay more for everything.
GivemeMoney

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:30 AM   #59
LTwin86

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
What do you think, will new Infotainment 3 fit 2016-2018 Camaro? Does it worth it? Any special functions?
LTwin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #60
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
It may work but doubt anyone would guarantee it or give you the core deposit when you return the older style one. But then again the only what to know would be to call or write the company.

As to worth..... Everything is only worth what people are willing to pay. While it wouldn't be worth it to me if you're that into the new system (which I heard is no vast improvement) then it may be worth it for you. If that's the case who cares if anyone else thinks it is or isn't.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #61
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Dont hold your breath at all on this, here is why.

I had a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT, had issues with the infotainment system in it that eventually led to a GM buyback of the truck. The issue was wide spread and known to all owners.

GM updated the system for 2015, same thought as it was identical to the 2014 model. Not one thing was backwards compatible to the 2014 system and even those in the know in the aftermarket couldnt make it work.

Then the 2016 came out, again it was updated and revised over the 2015 model and again, not one thing was able to be used in the 2015 or 2014 trucks at all. Same with the 2017 models.

GM and the other manufactures are slowly closing any and all loop holes that allow features to be taken from one model and swapped over into another model.
Your right to a point, on the truck line, it can be updated, but takes a lot to do, you will need a new HMI + new RADIO+ new USB hub+ new speedometer cluster + some wiring, IMO 14 was the worst, way to slow, and there better but have a ways to go, start my truck and it still takes 30 sec for all things to mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTwin86 View Post
What do you think, will new Infotainment 3 fit 2016-2018 Camaro? Does it worth it? Any special functions?
Still don't know but if you throw lots of $ at it it can be done, with that said, lots of new hardwear needed to make it hapen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
It may work but doubt anyone would guarantee it or give you the core deposit when you return the older style one. But then again the only what to know would be to call or write the company.

As to worth..... Everything is only worth what people are willing to pay. While it wouldn't be worth it to me if you're that into the new system (which I heard is no vast improvement) then it may be worth it for you. If that's the case who cares if anyone else thinks it is or isn't.
There are no core parts in this upgrade, it all old hardwear.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #62
GooseSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
That would be awesome, but I doubt it also. It's still like $125 for a GPS map update in the year of 2018. Just give me the damn update. I can have up to date maps on my phone or an any 3rd party GPS unit. Why do I have to a special price for a unit I shelled out $500 for. I love my GPS, but map updates that cost money are stupid.

I used to work for one of the major GPS Map suppliers, that cost is set by the map company, not GM or Chevy.
GooseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #63
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
My concern is that the infotainment system controls settings of the car. It is not just a radio/gps. Don’t we buy the car for the driving??
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #64
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I had a rental 2019 Malibu when I had my shudder fixed a couple weeks ago, and it had the 8 inch infortainment screen and maybe it was just a Malibu, but the screens colors looks REALLY washed out. They have this weird looking white hue over the Apple CarPlay icons and I didn’t like it. The layout is okay, more cartoony for the main screen. Otherwise I thought I’d love it or be impressed, I wasn’t.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #65
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
What is the benefit of the new software?

Anyway most car manufacturers are in the infotainment software/hardware stone age.

I have an old Toyota Rav4 and I put in a $250 Android Head unit with builtin GPS along with Waze, and Google Maps that can use your phones hot spot. And any other Adroid App.

That HU is SO much better and way more flexible than my top of the line Accord and my ZL1, and better than any other car I have driven or rented.

But then we are in control and not the car company. Imagine that.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #66
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Infotainment 2.0 is not compatible with infotainment 3.0.

Infotainment 2.0 is MOST based systems.
Infotainment 3.0 is Ethernet AVB. Infotainment 3.0 also implements it’s first step in cyber security in the Global B architecture.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #67
SilverCamaroVert

Drives: 2019 LT3 RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Infotainment 2.0 is not compatible with
Infotainment 3.0 is Ethernet AVB. Infotainment 3.0 also implements it’s first step in cyber security in the Global B architecture.
I for one feel more secure knowing my radio can't be hacked to play country.
SilverCamaroVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #68
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamaroVert View Post
I for one feel more secure knowing my radio can't be hacked to play country.
More like your car. The radio can just be a gateway. You have Bluetooth, WiFi, USB, LTE, Onstar. A creative hacker could make a mess out of your life, figuratively and literally. Plus GM does not want anybody reverse engineering any of their intellectual property.

Here's a little article to show just how much different the some 2018 and all 2019 cars are with the Global A and B architecture. The audio started it's full lock down in Global B.
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11221

Last edited by gblaue; 03-13-2019 at 10:31 AM.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote