Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Yeah I don't really need any of the major upgrades that had been made like mylink or head up display. While the HUD would be cool to have its obviously not necessary and same goes for power passenger seat (never sitting there so who cares?) for the suspension I can always upgrade it. I am mostly looking for the sound of the LS3.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I've had mine for 5 years and no issues yet
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_1le View Post
Is the FE4 suspension much of an upgrade? Ive only driven 13s and 14s nothing older than that. I was just curious about any mechanical issues that may be present since it was the first of the model year. I'll check for the oil leak and if the spoiler is loose. Then I'll see about the ergonomical stuff like the steering wheel, HUD, and that stuff.

Thanks for the advice so far. Anything else I should know please let me know about it.

The mylink is no big deal to me, I'd like the HUD, the back up sensors aren't much of a need as I'm a decent judge in my current car. Main options I'm looking for are just RS and the BA system for the ease of upgradability.

I honestly don't know. I think a lot of the magazines picked on the '10-'11s for their understeer at the limit. I think the FE4 upgrade is more neutral and mostly cured that. The FE4 suspension incorporates the things that the engineers learned while developing the FE5 (ZL1) and FE6 (1LE) suspensions. It mostly revolves around the way that the rear sway bar attaches to the rear lower control arms. The sway bar mounts to the inboard of the spring/shock mount on the FE2/FE3 suspensions and on the outboard on the FE4/FE5/FE6 suspensions. This makes the rear bar much more effective and solves a broken sway bar mount problem that some of FE3 cars had when pushed to the limit, especially with aftermarket bars. FE4s also have larger bars, both front and rear, stiffer rear cradle bushings and revised shock valving. I have a buddy who has a '12 and while I've both ridden in and driven his car, I've not pushed his or mine to the limit. His car does seem to be slightly stiffer and has a touch more road noise than mine. I also drove a 1LE at Camaro Fest and didn't notice it to be any stiffer or noisier than a FE4 car. I'm personally not a big fan of the black hood, black spoiler, black wheel look. If I could buy a SS with the regular SS look, rally stripes and the 1LE suspension, I'd be all over that.
While I prefer the looks of the '10-'11 steering wheel, it and the M6 shift knob are ergonomic disasters. I replaced my shifter with a MGW, with a ZL1 shaft and I put a '13 SS knob and boot on it. This was a huge improvement. I'd like to do something with the steering wheel, but going to the '12 up wheel requires also replacing the air bag, which is expensive and all the aftermarket one's are expensive also. I did do the power passenger seat upgrade and I have a pair of '12 door panels with the power lock switches, but I haven't installed them yet. I'd like to do the HUD and rear camera upgrades, but again, they are expensive. I'm with you on the My Link. I could take it or leave it.
So to sum it up, IMHO, you need to decide which features you really want and try to buy a car with them already on it, because it'll be much cheaper than adding them later.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 08-24-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Go for a 2013 1LE.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #19
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
I got a 2010 the middle of June and it has been flawless! I've also test driven every year and the main difference in the suspension is the 12 and up feel a little less harsh over sharp bumps. I do agree the newer steering wheel and shift knob is more ergonomic but I like the look of the 10 and 11 for their uniqueness and they're comfortable to me. My decision to get a 2010 came down to either a) loose my truck for a stripped down 2014 1SS or b) keep my truck and get a used 2010 loaded 2SS with the nice Inferno Orange interior I wanted so bad! Glad I went with option B! The car I got was low mile (11,500) and is indiscernible from one brand new (as in no wear and tear on anything and still has that new car smell in it). The 2014 I drove had dirt in it, lol.

Nothing wrong going either route but I can vouch the 2012 and up has a smoother feeling ride but the 2010 SS is still much smoother than my friends older Chrysler 300C Hemi! And of course much smoother than my truck. I wouldn't let that slight difference sway you too much but of course if I could of afforded a 2014 2SS loaded the way mine is (would of costed me over $10,000 more) I would of got the 2014. The ironic thing is the 2014 I test drove was my identical color/interior/trim and it was $10,000 more plus more tax. Very happy with the 2010!

Also, no difference in motor feel.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #20
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Go for a 2013 1LE.
Oh if I can find one believe me I will try really hard to get one. Sadly there was one in michigan that sold before I got here.

I will try the 2010 and see how it feels. There's a 2012 local to where I am in michigan so it could be which ever gives me the better deal.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #21
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
13s also have electric power steering, and the rear view camera is in the my link display, so they can have the retro rear view mirror. also beginning in 2012 there is dual mode exhaust a nice option. I do believe they had some minor problems with the 2010 they worked out one had to do with the electrical being to close to the exhaust on the drivers side. Also you can retrofit HUD I believe through gen5diy.com... along with other things. the 14's of course have the exterior changes, and a color hud display with a few more colors.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #22
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Had the AFM lifters on my L99 replaced. This is a major service as the heads have to come off. If you are looking at A6 cars, you should ask whether this TSB service was performed.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
13s also have electric power steering, and the rear view camera is in the my link display, so they can have the retro rear view mirror. also beginning in 2012 there is dual mode exhaust a nice option. I do believe they had some minor problems with the 2010 they worked out one had to do with the electrical being to close to the exhaust on the drivers side. Also you can retrofit HUD I believe through gen5diy.com... along with other things. the 14's of course have the exterior changes, and a color hud display with a few more colors.
Yeah I forgot about the NPP exhaust, but I don't think that was available until 2013 and then only on the M6s.

And yes you can retrofit HUD, but it's expensive and a very big job. The entire dash has to be removed to install it. If he wants HUD, he should just go ahead and buy a 2011 or newer 2SS to get it.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #24
xc_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Yeah I forgot about the NPP exhaust, but I don't think that was available until 2013 and then only on the M6s.

And yes you can retrofit HUD, but it's expensive and a very big job. The entire dash has to be removed to install it. If he wants HUD, he should just go ahead and buy a 2011 or newer 2SS to get it.
NPP and HUD would be cool to have but not exactly necessary in my book. Mainly because I can get an axle back and while I know HUD can be really handy but its not completely necessary.

Rock-It Man: Not going for an A6 so no need to worry about the rockers fortunately. Thanks for the tip though.

If I get either a 10-11 or a 12+ I know I will be getting into a great car.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #25
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
NPP and HUD would be cool to have but not exactly necessary in my book. Mainly because I can get an axle back and while I know HUD can be really handy but its not completely necessary.

Rock-It Man: Not going for an A6 so no need to worry about the rockers fortunately. Thanks for the tip though.

If I get either a 10-11 or a 12+ I know I will be getting into a great car.
I have a 2013 2SS/RS, I hardly use my HUD.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #26
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Make sure they've already taken care of the recall for the keys. Some people had issues with the rear half shafts, but I think that was more related to modifications and drag strips than an actual defect. I never had any issues and mine was an early build.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #27
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
5 years in October and my SS running strong. Knock on wood!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #28
KorovaMB

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
problems with buying a 2010?

Quote:
Yeah I don't really need any of the major upgrades that had been made like mylink or head up display. While the HUD would be cool to have its obviously not necessary and same goes for power passenger seat (never sitting there so who cares?) for the suspension I can always upgrade it. I am mostly looking for the sound of the LS3.

In that case, I would recommend you get one that has the dual mode exhaust on it. Can't beat the sound vs the regular exhaust.

Edit: just saw the rest of the replies. Didn't realize it was only on the later models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KorovaMB is offline   Reply With Quote