Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you park?
I pull in forwards! No fear here! 57 18.57%
I back up almost all the time! It's the only way! 105 34.20%
It depends on the parking lot and the cars around me! 145 47.23%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Somebody explain to me this backing in thing? What purpose does it serve? Or is it just a 'I think I'm cool' thing?
Sorry, just a confused old man.
Police vehicles are always backed in. This expedites a safe and rapid emergency departure. It might also save your life if you have to dive into a car and drive to escape an attack.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Don't listen to everyone backing in is a current fad, yes it allows you to leave faster in an emergency but if you're in a metropolitan area like a parking lot it would be faster to just run away due to the traffic jam that would be created in the event of a life threatening emergency lol I have to do it for my job in the natural gas field which is understandable due to potential risks. On another note I've owned an 85 z28 and that car drug/scraped all the time yet my ss with gfx hasn't scraped yet (knock on wood) lol :-P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
enyce0387

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs ls3
Way to many variables to answer the question like how much room in the parking lot which way the car next to you is facing how wide the spots are how many people are in the car next to you what your parking next to... I can go on, lets just say I'm a little OCD if there's room I always park away from everyone, if its a smaller lot like at my gym I grab the end spot and make my friend park next to me lol
enyce0387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I back in to a slot at my house that know one ever wants to back in to because you have a electric poll to manever around and a pretty small space to squeeze it throu. the whole thing looks like a giant question mark with a side walk to avoid curbing on one side. Yet I have been parking in this slot for over twenty years and not one curb mark, dent, scratch etc. It's all about the side mirrors and knowing how to drive!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #33
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
[QUOTE=upflying;6831104]Police vehicles are always backed in. This expedites a safe and rapid emergency departure. It might also save your life if you have to dive into a car and drive to escape an attack.[/QUOTE

Ive been a cop 25 yrs, never backed a car in nor required to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman53201 View Post
many companies with vehicle fleets require they back there vehicles into parking spaces. it is safer to back in, over backing out.
OP is not taliking about parking his fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
You've never seen a driveway were it's obviously more advantageous to back the car in?
Didnt think we are talking about driveway parking.

It makes no sense. It can be as dangerous to back in as backing out. I guess driving habits have changed over the years. Back in the day, we knew just about every aspect of our automobile and could drive in reverse as well as we could forward.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #34
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
[QUOTE=Avenging Orange;6831646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Police vehicles are always backed in. This expedites a safe and rapid emergency departure. It might also save your life if you have to dive into a car and drive to escape an attack.[/QUOTE

OP is not taliking about parking his fleet.

Didnt think we are talking about driveway parking.

It makes no sense. It can be as dangerous to back in as backing out. I guess driving habits have changed over the years. Back in the day, we knew just about every aspect of our automobile and could drive in reverse as well as we could forward.

you dont have cross traffic when backing in, like you do backing out. you dont have to agree, but facts are facts, it makes no difference if you are talking fleet, or your own vehicle. the fleets do it for safety, i would think private owners can benifit doing the same.

Im a Driving Safety Instuctor, and teach this same thing where I work.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #35
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohper View Post
Same here park in the center of two spots and walk
Taking up two spots invites anger and vandalism...just sayin'...
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #36
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
I park as far from the front doors of a public place as possible and I take up two spots. At work I take up two spots as I have done for the last 10 years. Everyone knows whose car that is in the parking lot taking up two spots. But then there is always spaces available. I use to park forward . but since this car has the back up camera I back the car in all the time especially because I dont want to f up the front. Just saying
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I now park very strategically for a good reason. Avoid parking lots that have slants and shopping carts. I ran into a local Target for only 10 minutes and when I came out a shopping cart found me at the bottom of a long hill. Hit my driver's door so hard it left it looking like a crushed beer can.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #38
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
[QUOTE=Avenging Orange;6831646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Police vehicles are always backed in. This expedites a safe and rapid emergency departure. It might also save your life if you have to dive into a car and drive to escape an attack.[/QUOTE

Hmm, you've never been to a fire station apparently.
Backing a police car is all about officer safety.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #39
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
I usually park far away or a strategic spot, end of a row. I would be scared to take up 2 spots, too many people got vandalized for that but to each is own, I pull in and back out mostly but may try backing in, I have come awfully close to busting the nose on a curbe.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 PM   #40
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I back in. I even back in to my driveway, trees really limit visibility backing out so it gives me a warm and fuzzy being able to pull straight out. I also find it easier to park straight by backing in for some reason.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Taking up two spots invites anger and vandalism...just sayin'...
I agree
Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #42
65TIMM

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock on View Post
When I do have to park in public parking I park away from everything and walk
Exactly
65TIMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, camera, dimension, forward, parking