Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: How do you park?
I pull in forwards! No fear here! 57 18.57%
I back up almost all the time! It's the only way! 105 34.20%
It depends on the parking lot and the cars around me! 145 47.23%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #71
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
"Use my reverse camera," "...easier to pull out," - Did I just grow up in a era where we had to be more skilled and did not need all that?

No. But why not use it if you have it? It's there as an aide, and it's supposed to make things a tad easier. And that's what it does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #72
racergirl

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS A6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
Ooh. I started this thread... I didn't even know. HA!

Former Camaro: 2013 2LS
BONE STOCK: 13.953@100.77 With Bolt-Ons: 13.646@101.60
With 75 shot and Bolt-Ons: 12.587@111.25
Performance Mods: CAI Intake, MRT V2, SLP Underdrive Pulley, DRs, Skinnies, Rear seat delete
racergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #73
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl View Post

Oi! Don't judge me! LOL

Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #74
racergirl

Quote:
Oi! Don't judge me! LOL

I do what I want! And as far as parking, I always pull in.

Performance Mods: CAI Intake, MRT V2, SLP Underdrive Pulley, DRs, Skinnies, Rear seat delete
Old 07-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #75
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl View Post
I do what I want! And as far as parking, I always pull in.

Usually me too.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #76
racergirl

Quote:
Usually me too.

I feel like backing in is difficult without the camera and the blind spots don't help either.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #77
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Usually me too.

Backing into a spot vs pulling into a spot as a preference doesn't bother me. Drive your car however you would like.

Don't sit there and tell me that Pulling in/backing out is more dangerous than backing in/pulling out. It simply doesn't make any sense.

Either way you're reversing your vehicle with moving and stationary vehicles near you, with an obstructed view, in one direction or another. Your visibility is limited when reversing whether it's into the spot or backing out of the spot, and only careful driving will mitigate that risk. Your position inside the spot is arguably irrelevant as stationary vehicle damage can happen in countless ways; all of which are a result of other people being careless around your vehicle.

I contend that you will be using your vehicle in reverse in the travel lane of the parking lot regardless of which direction you're going, and, as a result, would be equally subject to another driver being in your obstructed view at some point while parking.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #78
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Depends on the situation, but the majority of the time, I back in. Most of the time its easier and faster. Been doing it my whole driving life.

Plus if you drive straight in to a spot and the vehicles next to you are larger, you have to get the ass of the car pretty far out before you see if anyone is coming. You have to inch out and hope they see you before you see them. Plus having to look in the left mirror, right mirror, inside mirror, over your left shoulder then right shoulder several times just to make sure the a-holes in other cars or pedestrians aren't doing something stupid. Easier to back in then as you're leaving, you have a wide angle of view while you exit the spot by simply looking left and right. You can also catch anything in your peripheral vision. Also, backing in means you can get further into most spots. Reducing the chance of someone clipping the corner of the car.

Its even easier at home to back in. My driveway is four cars wide, but the approach is two cars wide. I park my Camaro on the left and Suburban on the right. Pulling in forwards requires some maneuvering around to get the car straight. Plus backing out of the driveway means the tires will go off the side of the driveway into the plants or run the risk of going off the curb. I can back the Camaro and Suburban in perfectly in one shot. When I leave, turn the wheel to the left and drive out.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #79
goinggone14

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Depends on the situation, but the majority of the time, I back in. Most of the time its easier and faster. Been doing it my whole driving life.

Plus if you drive straight in to a spot and the vehicles next to you are larger, you have to get the ass of the car pretty far out before you see if anyone is coming. You have to inch out and hope they see you before you see them. Plus having to look in the left mirror, right mirror, inside mirror, over your left shoulder then right shoulder several times just to make sure the a-holes in other cars or pedestrians aren't doing something stupid. Easier to back in then as you're leaving, you have a wide angle of view while you exit the spot by simply looking left and right. You can also catch anything in your peripheral vision. Also, backing in means you can get further into most spots. Reducing the chance of someone clipping the corner of the car.

Its even easier at home to back in. My driveway is four cars wide, but the approach is two cars wide. I park my Camaro on the left and Suburban on the right. Pulling in forwards requires some maneuvering around to get the car straight. Plus backing out of the driveway means the tires will go off the side of the driveway into the plants or run the risk of going off the curb. I can back the Camaro and Suburban in perfectly in one shot. When I leave, turn the wheel to the left and drive out.
Considering that the driver's seat is basically in the center of the vehicle (where your eyes would be), it would seem that you would have to stick a large portion of the front of the vehicle out before you can see anyone coming in your pulling-out scenario.

You also only discuss the part where you leave the parking spot. Are you not in any danger of cars driving into you while you attempt to back into a spot, or the potential risk of backing into a vehicle that you cannot see while you are " having to look in the left mirror, right mirror, inside mirror, over your left shoulder then right shoulder several times just to make sure the a-holes in other cars or pedestrians aren't doing something stupid"?

The backing into the spot is just as dangerous if you're admitting other people are the cause of your parking woes. Careful driving is all you can do.

As for your at your home, parking in a certain way to protect your property may require different measures completely independent of reckless drivers in a public lot. Your description makes it sound like you're simply good at parking your car, and only outside influence can cause you any type of danger.
goinggone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #80
evergrn

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
I try to back in whenever possible. I have a 2010 with no backup camera or backup sensor, so learning where the car was took a bit of time. I roll down my window, and stick my head out to see the where the rear and the side of my car is.
evergrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #81
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
Considering that the driver's seat is basically in the center of the vehicle (where your eyes would be), it would seem that you would have to stick a large portion of the front of the vehicle out before you can see anyone coming in your pulling-out scenario.
Actually, you see far less while backing out of a spot, even if your body is in the same general area. Just sitting there in the seat with the nose in the spot, you see very little while trying backing out. But sitting in the same spot with the nose out, just sitting back in your seat you see way more of whats going on. Things you wouldn't see while backing out. Even if you still can't see beyond the cars next to you, you can plainly see shadows, reflections in other cars, facial expressions of pedestrians, other drivers reactions and even how the birds or little squirrels running across the parking lot react to whats beyond your field of view. These things are not so easily seen in the mirrors or through the tiny quarter windows or the narrow rear window. The "B" and "C" pillars compound the lack of visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggone14 View Post
The backing into the spot is just as dangerous if you're admitting other people are the cause of your parking woes. Careful driving is all you can do.
Actually its far less dangerous to back into a spot versus backing out. Theres usually no pedestrians walking through the spot you're backing into. And there shouldn't be cars driving through that spot either. Someone would have to be drunk, high or just plain reckless to be able to hit the back of your car as you're backing into a spot.

And I'll be honest, I'm really good at backing up my vehicles. And I know there are people who couldn't drive in reverse to save their life. My mother being one of them. Heck, people take two or three stabs to pull into a spot. I do what I do to make it safer for me and my passengers. Because I don't trust other drivers. Most are idiots who shouldn't have a license in the first place. At lease where I live.

Tags
backup, camera, dimension, forward, parking