Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
big_bank5000
Bring it back!!!!!

Drives: 2008 G8 GT (its my baby)
Octane Booster and synthetic oil

I was wondering... When we all hopefully get the camaro. Should you put octane booster in right away?I heard you shouldn't do it with a new car under 2,000 miles. and also not to put synthetic oil in either..
Old 04-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There are many with the opinion that synthetic oil shouldn't be used until after something like 1000 miles. I plan on changing oil and filter at 100, 500, and then start synthetic after 1,000 miles. I'm not sure about the octane booster thing. I've never found any that seemed to work; that may be because of the crappy 91 octane in this crappy state.

How about just dump in gallon or two of 100 gas? Shoot; it's not like you're going to be saving too much over adding octane booster anyways, so if you have a station close that sells the 100, why not?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I've heard the same thing. Also, make sure to change the oil immediately after getting your car from the lot.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
I don't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere online that octane booster, or any gasoline additives for that matter are bad for the car. I'll try and dig it up to get back to you....
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I don't remember where I read it, but I read somewhere online that octane booster, or any gasoline additives for that matter are bad for the car. I'll try and dig it up to get back to you....

There was a very long debate about octane boosters on a corvette forum some time ago. The overwhelming concensus was that they are pretty much worthless, and might do damage, especially to a newer car. The computer is tuned for certain octane ranges only, and the extra boost will not be effectively utilized by the engine management system. (at least per them).

It may have benefited non-injected cars some, but the newer engines don't need it, apparently.

One supposes you could modify the factory tune to take advantage, but that would void your warranty. clearly not worth it.

If there are no bad side-effects, the only advantage the booster could provide would be that the fuel burns cleaner (more complete burn in the cylinder per piston cycle), if I understand things correctly.

EDIT: I also remember someone saying the "fumes" left in the exhaust might also damage the cats, long-term.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Vettes and most of your higher end cars come from the factory with Mobile One Synthetic. So don’t believe the hype on using Synthetic oil… Synthetic is just all the best oil molecules hand pick for your consumption. Look at as a purebred oil…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Octane booster is a total waste of money. When it says it raises it 4 points it means from 91 to 91.4, not 95. Why would anyone pay for that?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
crippled

Drives: MB clk430 02
Only reason why you want to run your mineral based oils, on your new car is to break in the rings and bearings, the oil runs hotter, but after about 1000 miles change to synthetic, and the octane booster doesnt really do anything, the car has a specific compression ratio and changing the octane to high could actually hinder the performance
crippled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by crippled View Post
Only reason why you want to run your mineral based oils, on your new car is to break in the rings and bearings, the oil runs hotter, but after about 1000 miles change to synthetic, and the octane booster doesnt really do anything, the car has a specific compression ratio and changing the octane to high could actually hinder the performance
It also may create knock which is never good.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Octane Booster - No

Synthetic Oil - yes and early. Most engines should be prerun - FBodfather/Whiterag any comments? Vettes and other vehicles are factory filled with Synth.

The only reason I can see waiting until 3k is the car already has oil in it and you probably aren't gonna destroy the engine the 3k miles of driving.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
isnt that stuff corrosive to the engine, etc, anyone use Zmax, only oil I use is Q-horsepower

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Mythic

Corrosive? the Octane booster or Synth oil?

I'g glad Q-horsepower works for you and I'm sure, given that Ferrari supposedly uses it, that its come a long way in the last 2 decades. But, when I was a teenager and helping my father work on our cars and my buddy's father who did restoration/rebuilds we called that stuff QuakerCake. I won't touch it.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
the octane booster, anyone use the Zmax stuff I was watching the speed channel when I saw the commerical, heard it cleans you fuel injectors, wanna know cause I'm sick of changing my injectors every six months or when I feel mileage has gone down

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
Mythic

Zmax appears to just be a synthetic oil additive. Why not just go with Synthetic oil?
I don't see anything on their site about cleaner injectors.
http://www.zmax.com/why_zmax/benefits.html

You shouldn't need to replace the injectors. They can be cleaned.
Just keep a nice clean fuel filter.