Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 12-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #8443
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
This why I pulled the trigger on the new SS this year while I still could. I haven't had a V8 since I was in high school, and even then it was a crappy mid-70s non-performance version (2 of them actually). Wanted to make sure I got one before the writing on the wall got etched into the stone...

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #8444
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSully View Post
This why I pulled the trigger on the new SS this year while I still could. I haven't had a V8 since I was in high school, and even then it was a crappy mid-70s non-performance version (2 of them actually). Wanted to make sure I got one before the writing on the wall got etched into the stone...
You did well Yours truly had the same mindset, only I jumped a bit earlier. What a freaking amazing car this is.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #8445
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
So while I was driving my car, I feel like I am getting used to the power level where I am currently at. There isn't much further I can go while staying on pump gas which means I have to either spend a few thousand dollars on a pump and injectors to run more ethanol or go with meth injection.

As far as ethanol is concerned, I can use it out here in the Midwest. But it is not widely available in the Northeast. On top of the money I'll have to spend to upgrade to something that can only be used in a small portion of the country. So that is a bust.

I am not a fan of meth injection at all. So for me that is also a bust as I refuse to go that route.

The other route would be race gas but at 10 bucks a gallon that would make for a very expensive commute.

And not to mention that this car is LOUD. Whether normal driving or getting on it. I like it but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit self-conscious about it. I have to wait until people are a good distance to start it up so I don't startle people. I have to drive it very tame if a cop is around so as to not get their attention. It has smelly exhaust fumes so I try not to drive it to work when I park in a garage so as not to offend my fellow Healthcare workers, lol!! It is a lot.

But then consider the fact that the tp of the line faster EVs have more acceleration...they could probably take out or at least keep up with 900+ RWHP cars. They're quieter which means no silly noise violations or worrying about starting your car at night and disturbing your neighbors or having the cops notice you. No noxious fumes...I don't care what anyone says, showing up to work in a professional environment and smelling you gas and exhaust is a bit untoward. All of these things sound just awesome to me. Sure some people enjoy the loud exhaust. I do. But I can't even get on this car anymore without a cop appearing behind me or somewhere close (they're everywhere these days). I actually got pulled over a few weeks ago because I was getting on the gas while going thru underpasses. I didn't get a ticket and the cop was really cool about it, but it still sucked because now I know they're watching. Well all the downsides outweigh the good when it comes to ICE vehicles.

I don't see any of this as an end of an era. I see it as an era changing and evolving and improving. I would love a car that is faster than what I have now without attracting Johhny Law and without the fumes and without me having to do further mods.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #8446
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
So while I was driving my car, I feel like I am getting used to the power level where I am currently at. There isn't much further I can go while staying on pump gas which means I have to either spend a few thousand dollars on a pump and injectors to run more ethanol or go with meth injection.

As far as ethanol is concerned, I can use it out here in the Midwest. But it is not widely available in the Northeast. On top of the money I'll have to spend to upgrade to something that can only be used in a small portion of the country. So that is a bust.

I am not a fan of meth injection at all. So for me that is also a bust as I refuse to go that route.

The other route would be race gas but at 10 bucks a gallon that would make for a very expensive commute.

And not to mention that this car is LOUD. Whether normal driving or getting on it. I like it but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit self-conscious about it. I have to wait until people are a good distance to start it up so I don't startle people. I have to drive it very tame if a cop is around so as to not get their attention. It has smelly exhaust fumes so I try not to drive it to work when I park in a garage so as not to offend my fellow Healthcare workers, lol!! It is a lot.

But then consider the fact that the tp of the line faster EVs have more acceleration...they could probably take out or at least keep up with 900+ RWHP cars. They're quieter which means no silly noise violations or worrying about starting your car at night and disturbing your neighbors or having the cops notice you. No noxious fumes...I don't care what anyone says, showing up to work in a professional environment and smelling you gas and exhaust is a bit untoward. All of these things sound just awesome to me. Sure some people enjoy the loud exhaust. I do. But I can't even get on this car anymore without a cop appearing behind me or somewhere close (they're everywhere these days). I actually got pulled over a few weeks ago because I was getting on the gas while going thru underpasses. I didn't get a ticket and the cop was really cool about it, but it still sucked because now I know they're watching. Well all the downsides outweigh the good when it comes to ICE vehicles.

I don't see any of this as an end of an era. I see it as an era changing and evolving and improving. I would love a car that is faster than what I have now without attracting Johhny Law and without the fumes and without me having to do further mods.
Please don't take it the wrong way, Blaq, but my reading of this is that you simply went too far for the street with your build. After all, there will always be a car out there faster than ours.

My car doesn't smell and isn't insanely loud when driving "normally", sure, it has 200 hp less than yours, but I don't startle even Hulk with a warm start, neither do I attract Johnny Law automatically (and btw, they will adapt to the world of plaids, too, my bet is they'll try automated ticketing and collection based on car telemetry and/or camera data, mafia style).

Realistically, the only way to have even crazier acceleration than what you have is all wheel drive and/or multiple motors.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #8447
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Please don't take it the wrong way, Blaq, but my reading of this is that you simply went too far for the street with your build. After all, there will always be a car out there faster than ours.

My car doesn't smell and isn't insanely loud when driving "normally", sure, it has 200 hp less than yours, but I don't startle even Hulk with a warm start, neither do I attract Johnny Law automatically (and btw, they will adapt to the world of plaids, too, my bet is they'll try automated ticketing and collection based on car telemetry and/or camera data, mafia style).

Realistically, the only way to have even crazier acceleration than what you have is all wheel drive and/or multiple motors.
Perhaps you are right. But I do feel that the faster EVs are gonna be MUCH faster than our highly modded ICEvs.

BTW I have LTs and they are...uh...let's say, "free flowing", lol!! And this thing sounds like an explosion on startup. LOL!! I never had issues in NJ with cops. But they are everywhere out here in Nebraska. I honestly am afraid to even go 1 MPH over the speed limit out here.

My main point is that all the drawbacks we have with ICEvs will be gone when EVs become prominent. I doubt they will ever initiate a self-ticketing system. AT least not for many years to come. I mean, that would threaten having police out there patroling and such. But mabe they will. There will be many ways to get around it tho. I'm sure there will be jammers and such. But that's a debate for another day. I'm just looking forward to a time when I won't have to worry about attracting negative attention if I want to get on it on an empty highway.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #8448
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:

I so agree with you about the loud exhaust. Is it worth 15 RWHP to add LTs?

Not to me after having an ARH setup on my 2016 SS. I am keeping my NPP. It sounds great with a Rotofab, but is not over the top. And it is pretty loud.

I wonder if a cat replacement upping the 2" restriction to 2 1/2" or even better 3" is possible. And for me I will skip E.

And the LT2 is a nice upgrade if you can make room for it better.

But even with just tires and a Rotofab my stock M6 LT1 is a high 11 second car in good mineshaft air. This is still fast enough for a fun street car. Any more is just silly on the street. And dangerous in unskilled hands.

I had a ride recently in a 9 second Tesla Plaid. With AWD and warm tires it was under control, but not much fun. It was more like a rollercoaster ride.

While the technology was amazing owning one would not interest me even if I could afford it. And it makes a weird flying saucer noise when it backs up.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #8449
Phil zl1

Drives: 2022 zl1
Gt 500 is a beast. It handles it s very fast ,has a dual clutch transmission. And it cost a lot of money compared to a Zl1.
Phil zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:24 AM   #8450
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

These GT500s are starting to look more and more appealing every day. I'm working on something with a dealership...lol.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:55 AM   #8451
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:

I see a Tesla S Plaid in your future

Quote:
These GT500s are starting to look more and more appealing every day. I'm working on something with a dealership...lol.
Ive owned all 3 - Hellcat (standard and Redeye), ZL1 a10 and now a 20' GT500.
I overall prefer the GT500. It turns and hooks almost as well as the ZL1, clearly the fastest straight-line and the most amazing brakes I've experienced, the DCT is about perfect imo; it also has the best visibility out of all of them. It's the first factory stock car where the acceleration has satisfied and thrilled me and still does to this day (owned almost a year). It does lack low end torque especially compared to the Hellcat but once in the powerband it pulls and pulls.
I also have a ND2 Miata and Tesla 3 Perf (wife's daily) but what's funny is I daily a Bolt EV...

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 01-28-2022 at 07:09 AM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:39 PM   #8452
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
I see a Tesla S Plaid in your future
If things ever get to the point where the public is forced to go with EVs (we're almost there) then I'd be happy to get one. Or if the infrastructure becomes more accomodating to EVs then I'll get one even sooner. My only issue is that you really need a house with a garage to have these vehicles so you can keep them charged. As I have no plans to buy a house any time soon and seeing as how I'm traveling and going from place to place that might not accomodate EVs, as of right now I really can't go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
Ive owned all 3 - Hellcat (standard and Redeye), ZL1 a10 and now a 20' GT500.
I overall prefer the GT500. It turns and hooks almost as well as the ZL1, clearly the fastest straight-line and the most amazing brakes I've experienced, the DCT is about perfect imo; it also has the best visibility out of all of them. It's the first factory stock car where the acceleration has satisfied and thrilled me and still does to this day (owned almost a year). It does lack low end torque especially compared to the Hellcat but once in the powerband it pulls and pulls.
I also have a ND2 Miata and Tesla 3 Perf (wife's daily) but what's funny is I daily a Bolt EV...
Right now the new car market is out of control with these markups on everything. And really it's the annoyance of it all. These dealerships won't just be upfront and list the markup outright. But it's fine. I don't exactly need a GT500. I just want one. If I can't find a proper deal then I can just supercharge my GT and that will satisfy me plenty. So I'm just shopping around. If I fall on a spectacular deal then I'll jump. Otherwise I'll just keep looking.

The way I see it, there will be a lot of these higher priced super expensive cars available in the near future as more and more people ditch them for more practical vehicles.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:30 PM   #8453
Ninjor

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
I just bought a 22 ss 1le for msrp but I put my name on it 2 months prior to it being delivered at the delership. They said once it arives to the dealer it gets a 8-10k markup. When I was taking delivery of my camaro I was looking at a c8 corvet with an msrp of 85k but it said right on it 30k markup right on the sticker. So not everyone is being shaddy but they did tell me they will not sell if for less than that because they know it wont last longer than a week on the showroom.

I wouldnt be surprised if the last year top trim camaros are worth a ton of money a few years after the final year. Look at the Viper ACR when it came out it was 140k, now they are 300k. Shits crazy, supply and demand.
Ninjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 06:45 PM   #8454
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjor View Post
I just bought a 22 ss 1le for msrp but I put my name on it 2 months prior to it being delivered at the delership. They said once it arives to the dealer it gets a 8-10k markup. When I was taking delivery of my camaro I was looking at a c8 corvet with an msrp of 85k but it said right on it 30k markup right on the sticker. So not everyone is being shaddy but they did tell me they will not sell if for less than that because they know it wont last longer than a week on the showroom.

I wouldnt be surprised if the last year top trim camaros are worth a ton of money a few years after the final year. Look at the Viper ACR when it came out it was 140k, now they are 300k. Shits crazy, supply and demand.
There are markups everywhere now. Even used cars are selling higher than their original sticker. And not just the highly desired car like GT500s and ZL1s. Even Altimas and such are commanding markups. Some dealerships out here have no new cars on their lots because of these shortages. So who knows where things will end up in the next few years.

Tho I do think it is safe to say that cars like the SS, Bullitt, Mach1, ZL1, Hellcats, Vettes, etc will always have a (relatively) higher price attached even if they do start to tank in value.

Just think, in early 2020 there were lower mileage ZL1s and Hellcats selling for low $40K and sometimes in the high $30K range. LOL!! Times done changed.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:57 AM   #8455
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I know I was harsh on the GT500 and made a lot of negative statements about them in the past. But I still think I was right. After being in the market for one for the past week I have been seeing a lot of them as Lemon Law Buy Backs for various reasons, some minor and some major. What I wonder is if there are soo many simply because Ford decides to fix them and put them back on the market. I wonder if GM just completely removes their buy backs permanently so you don't see them. I would like it if someone could shed some light on this.

So while there are a lot of buy backs, I am still in the market. I am sure I can find a decent one that has no issues. And I would definitely consider some of the buy backs that have minor issues considering they are much lower in price. But even some of them are above or right around original MSRP.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #8456
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
I know I was harsh on the GT500 and made a lot of negative statements about them in the past. But I still think I was right. After being in the market for one for the past week I have been seeing a lot of them as Lemon Law Buy Backs for various reasons, some minor and some major. What I wonder is if there are soo many simply because Ford decides to fix them and put them back on the market. I wonder if GM just completely removes their buy backs permanently so you don't see them. I would like it if someone could shed some light on this.

So while there are a lot of buy backs, I am still in the market. I am sure I can find a decent one that has no issues. And I would definitely consider some of the buy backs that have minor issues considering they are much lower in price. But even some of them are above or right around original MSRP.
I don't know about the buy-backs but I've never had any issue with my GT500. I haven't been seeing many problems reported on the GT500 forums. Mostly people talking about how amazing their car is.
The main known issue from what I've seen is the DCT leaking fluid which is covered under warranty.

What's funny is my my new Redeye and ZL1 both left me stranded needing a tow. The Redeye at 150 miles driveshaft detached from the rear diff driving like grandma still breaker it in. The ZL1 had some funky Fuel system issue. Just unlucky factory defect issues.

As you know this is a terrible time to buy a car right now. I got a decent deal on my GT500 early last year but that was before the market went crazy.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 02-01-2022 at 11:54 AM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote