Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #43
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
haha ya i saw the pic on their site a few months ago and recognized the blue car with those yellow wheels from your build thread.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #44
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
Will the zl1 6 pistons clear the 19" forgelines?
Hmmm let me think real hard. Did anyone ever run the Forgeline 19s with CTS-V six pots. Damn... I know some one did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Pedders is committed to being a strong supporting member of the 5th gen community. When we needed a brake upgrade for our Camaro we looked everywhere and came right back to the GM parts bin. It took a while, but we sorted it out and found what we believe to be the most cost effective and perhaps best brake solution for the Camaro. If I ran GM -- and I don't I know what I would do for better Camaro brakes. I would use THE CADILLAC OF BRAKES for the Camaro -- CTS-V BRAKES.

These are the same brakes that set a record on the Ring with John Heinricy behind the wheel of s CTS-V as the fastest production sedan to run the ring.

The CTS-V is a bit heavier than the Camaro making the setup PERFECT. This is a bolt on project that requires only the front dust shield be trimmed to fit the over-sized six piston front caliper. Everything is performance / track ready to go. The pads are perfect out of the box. They are also Cadillac quiet. The front calipers do require different bolts. All the parts are supposed to be available front the GM parts bin, but we did have some delays in collecting everything we needed. Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders did a great job of getting all the bits pulled together for me.

This is a HUGE upgrade for the Camaro. Take a close look at the calipers and pads. The superior clamping from six pistons combined with a much larger pad and rotor work to PERFECTION with the master cylinder and computer.

The rotors are very different up front. These are dual cast from Brembo with an aluminum hat / center and iron rotor. Even though the new Cadillac rotors are larger and thicker, they weigh the same as the OEM SS Camaro rotors.

Trimming the front dust shield was straight forward. How can any modification (unless it is Pedders made to fit just like the OEM bits we replace) be complete without sparks from a cutting wheel?

The brake upgrade is 100% OEM CTS-V with the exception of Pedders Camaro Brake Lines. You can see our brake lines fit and mount just like OEM. Why is Pedders doing brake lines for the 2010 Camaro? Great question. When we built our Camaro we couldn't find them in the aftermarket so we took matters into our own hands. PDUSACAM2800 https://secure.merlinsoftware.com.au...0&Featured=Yes

The rear Cadillac CTS-V caliper is the same as the Camaro SS rear caliper. The only difference is color. We did try to rear CTS-V and found the hat offset is a bit different, but the OEM Camaro SS rotor is a perfect match.

Here they are, THE Cadillac of Brakes of the 2010 Camaro.

Rear Before

Rear After

Front Before

Front After

When you do a conversion like this it is critical that the entire brake system be bled including the ABD computer. We connected the new USB based GM scan tool and could not find a full bleed program. We connected a Tech I scan tool, selected 2010 Corvette and found a functional solution. With everything completed we did on more safety check and went out for a road test. Working with Witt Buick Pedders means we have access to everything we need including a 'private' area to bed the brakes. 60 to 20, 80 to 20 and 100 to 20 and the brakes are bedded.

How do they feel -- jut like a Cadillac CTS-V. Are they better than the SS brakes -- OH YEAH!!! Now the tough question, how do you get a set. We are posting this for the benefit of the Camaro community. Witt Buick Pedders put in a tremendous amount of effort to secure all the bits and do the install. Little things like finding the right way to bleed the brakes take a lot of time. The rear rotors from the CTS-V don't fit and son on. They have earned the right to at least have the opportunity to make a parts sale.

Keeping the community in mind, you already know that a complete set of CTS-V brakes will fit and what you need to order short of the parts list. Your creative and can source that on the Internet. If you would like to order a turn key kit you can call Arthur at Witt Buick Pedders (231) 722-3771 for $3,400 including the Pedders SS lines.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 PM   #45
Synner

Drives: cars
I'm still waiting on Z28 brake info.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 AM   #46
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
Will the zl1 6 pistons clear the 19" forgelines?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
Are these rotors bigger than the stock SS rotors?
The SS rotors are direct replacements that can be used with your stock calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
I'm still waiting on Z28 brake info.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #47
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post

People say the same thing about the corvette parts. All it tells me is they don't know how to use a parts fiche or the internet, nothing about the brakes.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #48
JusticePete

Quote:
People say the same thing about the corvette parts. All it tells me is they don't know how to use a parts fiche or the internet, nothing about the brakes.
We know more than you would expect at this point. The rotors are C6 Vette rotors with Camaro specific hats. Seeing the car at the press debut it appears the calipers are Vette too.

The brake ABS calibration on the 1LE is tuned to the semi-square wheel and tire setup. We expect that cal to be refined for the Z/28 305/30/19. The cal for the Z/28 has to be spot on. The array of pads that can be used with the CC rotors is limited. With our OPTIMA Camaros we pad tune and under extreme breaking conditions still find ourselves in Ice Mode. We haven't found the same issue in the 1LE. That is another win for TEAM Camaro.

The next step is flashing 10/11/12 models tear 5th Gens with the 1LE ABS Cal.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #49
Synner

I'd be even happier if I could just turn it off. A shame they don't offer it as a selectable mode on these cars.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #50
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We know more than you would expect at this point. The rotors are C6 Vette rotors with Camaro specific hats. Seeing the car at the press debut it appears the calipers are Vette too.
I KNEW it, hahaha. Gotta love parts sharing. Any idea if the hubs are any different from those of the 1LE to alter caliper offset/center line? I'm fine with finding some cheap vette calipers and powdercoating them if they'd bolt on with dust shield trimming. I'm sure the Z28 tax for the sticker will be crazy, kinda like the ZL1 over CTSV calipers.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #51
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
ok i have to ask. Mr Pete...what the heck is a pad tune? I am experiencing my brakes and tires overpowering my abs system. sucks to leave so much useful rubber at the end of every straight.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #52
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Just swapping to RB is a great upgrade to the SS brakes but if you really wanted to step it up you could swap to the ZL1 6 piston Brembos and run RB ZL1 rotors like in this picture.

What would be better for track days. SS brake calipers with RB rotors which I have now or ZL1 upgraded calipers with OE rotors like I plan for my 1LE?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #53
JusticePete

Quote:
I KNEW it, hahaha. Gotta love parts sharing. Any idea if the hubs are any different from those of the 1LE to alter caliper offset/center line? I'm fine with finding some cheap vette calipers and powdercoating them if they'd bolt on with dust shield trimming. I'm sure the Z28 tax for the sticker will be crazy, kinda like the ZL1 over CTSV calipers.
I think Chevy is smart to leverage the brand equity in the ZL1 and the Z/28. I call the PUSA Camaro a SS-V ;-)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #54
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
So, I have had my RacingBrake 2 piece rotors for a few weeks now. I just finished a 2 day track event on the Roval (road course) at Fontana or ACS. This road course features the front NASCAR straight and NASCAR turns 1 and 2 and a road course in the midfield. One day was scorching hot in the high 90's, not exactly brake friendly weather.

The braking needed to stop my 2 ton car from the straight after NASCAR 2 into turn 3 and 4 is massive. I was hitting 165-170 on the front NASCAR straight and hitting 150+ on the banked turns one and two. I needed to brake hard and brake fast to get the 90 degree left and then quick 90 degree right of turn 3 and 4. The RacingBrake rotors were up to the task. I was out braking cars that cost more than my house including Porsche, GTR, Boss 302, SuperSnakes, Saleens, Rousch and many other mustangs. Sadly the ZR1 and Z06 were also incapable of out braking me. NO BRAKE FADE!!!!! Ohhh yeah forgot to add I was out braking and driving these cars that should be whooping me with one useable arm and an automatic in Sport mode....no shifting. That means zero engine braking. Did I mention NO BRAKE FADE?!?!?!?!

Saying I out brake expensive cars is enough but that's not the whole story. The weight lost made my car quicker to accelerate, easier to turn in and even easier to brake combined with the improved braking performance of the rotors themselves. Quicker car and again NO BRAKE FADE...absolutely none.

The 2 piece rotors aren't just some sandcasted junk. They are built right with a dimpled slot and small holes in the slot to let gas and dust escape while helping dealing with heat. They are not just the run of the mill drilled/slotted rotors where they are sandcasted then drilled by machine which weakens the entire rotor and leads to cracking. The are machined and built with with dimple and holes in them so the hardness and rigidity of the metal is not compromised by the drill.

For you car show types these rotors are built right and will attract attention where ever you go. They will not have that unsightly rust that the oem and many other aftermarket rotors have. For the weight savings guys I lost 23 pounds of unsprung and rotational mass when it was all installed....for the MPG guys that means better fuel mileage as well. It really is the end all be all rotor for EVERY type of driver for our cars

RacingBrake are THE American made brake experts. Rotors, Pads, Caliper rebuild kits, and forged calipers for many vehicles.

I am trying to get enough interest in our community so they will build lightweight forged and very very pretty calipers for us. Beg, plead, and ask for light weight and beautiful calipers to go with their beautiful light weight rotors here 714-871-6392 or http://www.racingbrake.com/. Tell them Blake with silver camaro sent you and they will know what you want! I have been down to their shop and watched my rotors be assembled and browsed their isles and isles of pads and rotors and calipers and caliper rebuild kits....its like brake disney land.

Here a few pics of them testing the hardness of the rotor, assembling the 2 piece rotor, one pic of the rotor on my car with dirty and burned oem caliper, and the last is the rotor shining from behind my wheels.
These along with my light a$$$ Enkei Reijin 19x9.5 22.8lbs rims will really make my front end happy as well as my steering system along with camper plates and other supporting mods already in place. Thanks for the review I was on the fence about these rotors.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #55
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
So, I have had my RacingBrake 2 piece rotors for a few weeks now. I just finished a 2 day track event on the Roval (road course) at Fontana or ACS. This road course features the front NASCAR straight and NASCAR turns 1 and 2 and a road course in the midfield. One day was scorching hot in the high 90's, not exactly brake friendly weather.

The braking needed to stop my 2 ton car from the straight after NASCAR 2 into turn 3 and 4 is massive. I was hitting 165-170 on the front NASCAR straight and hitting 150+ on the banked turns one and two. I needed to brake hard and brake fast to get the 90 degree left and then quick 90 degree right of turn 3 and 4. The RacingBrake rotors were up to the task. I was out braking cars that cost more than my house including Porsche, GTR, Boss 302, SuperSnakes, Saleens, Rousch and many other mustangs. Sadly the ZR1 and Z06 were also incapable of out braking me. NO BRAKE FADE!!!!! Ohhh yeah forgot to add I was out braking and driving these cars that should be whooping me with one useable arm and an automatic in Sport mode....no shifting. That means zero engine braking. Did I mention NO BRAKE FADE?!?!?!?!

Saying I out brake expensive cars is enough but that's not the whole story. The weight lost made my car quicker to accelerate, easier to turn in and even easier to brake combined with the improved braking performance of the rotors themselves. Quicker car and again NO BRAKE FADE...absolutely none.

The 2 piece rotors aren't just some sandcasted junk. They are built right with a dimpled slot and small holes in the slot to let gas and dust escape while helping dealing with heat. They are not just the run of the mill drilled/slotted rotors where they are sandcasted then drilled by machine which weakens the entire rotor and leads to cracking. The are machined and built with with dimple and holes in them so the hardness and rigidity of the metal is not compromised by the drill.

For you car show types these rotors are built right and will attract attention where ever you go. They will not have that unsightly rust that the oem and many other aftermarket rotors have. For the weight savings guys I lost 23 pounds of unsprung and rotational mass when it was all installed....for the MPG guys that means better fuel mileage as well. It really is the end all be all rotor for EVERY type of driver for our cars

RacingBrake are THE American made brake experts. Rotors, Pads, Caliper rebuild kits, and forged calipers for many vehicles.

I am trying to get enough interest in our community so they will build lightweight forged and very very pretty calipers for us. Beg, plead, and ask for light weight and beautiful calipers to go with their beautiful light weight rotors here 714-871-6392 or http://www.racingbrake.com/. Tell them Blake with silver camaro sent you and they will know what you want! I have been down to their shop and watched my rotors be assembled and browsed their isles and isles of pads and rotors and calipers and caliper rebuild kits....its like brake disney land.

Here a few pics of them testing the hardness of the rotor, assembling the 2 piece rotor, one pic of the rotor on my car with dirty and burned oem caliper, and the last is the rotor shining from behind my wheels.
Just wait till you get steel braided lines on that bad boy, let's say you better be wearing a seat belt or windshield here I come.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #56
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Just wait till you get steel braided lines on that bad boy, let's say you better be wearing a seat belt or windshield here I come.
I will have them on my car (the one in the above picture) in about 11 days! Those and a bunch of other suspension mods all at once!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote