Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Jailed for not returning a VHS

That's right. I said VHS.

I'm sorry, for the younger members, that's how we used to watch movies before DVD's. We had to rewind them before we returned them.
For the even younger members, we used to have to go to a store to rent a movie, and then we would have to go back the next day by a certain time and return it. It was a big deal back then.

Anyway, this woman was jailed recently for failing to return a VHS back in 2005.

Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Kept her overnight and it required a $2000 bond over a $20 tape that belongs to no one because the damn store isn't in business anymore.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...e-9-years-ago/
Old 02-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Rob3D

Drives: Car
I swear, I would get in my car and make chase me for that. It would be the white bronco all over again.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
2012-1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
I swear, I would get in my car and make chase me for that. It would be the white bronco all over again.
She was already at the police station or sheriff's department. She was reporting a crime and this warrant popped up. And the spokesman said at that point they had no alternative but to arrest her. I think the guy was just a dick. I mean they said they had sent her letters to which she never responded, but gosh dang, let me cut the stinking check for $20 so we don't have to waste that much tax revenue locking someone up over nothing.

I had a run in with Blockbuster back in the day. They said I owed something like $1000 in late charges for two VHS's. Then the lawsuits happened. It went away.

I get pissed when I forget to take back to a Redbox. Done it like twice. Ends up costing $27 to own a movie, but you don't get the case and the special features. Then again, better than having some dick arrest you a decade later.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
I know a warrant for someone is the law. But lets have some common sense from the Police Dept. Its not like she was heading for the border. Send her home and lets talk about it tomorrow should have been what happen. Where I live there is no room in the jail cells for miner offenses.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Who would she pay in the case? Bill collector? Imagine what the late fee would be LOL
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Funny I came across this. Earlier today, I was in the middle of no where and went in to a gas station/market. They had tons of VHS movies for rent. There was just as many on the other wall.

2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
I see Ashton is up to his shenanigans again...

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
"I did not receive any notices that movie was overdue."
P-"They said they sent you notices."
"Prove it. Did they go Certified Mail? Is there a signed delivery receipt?"
P-".........."
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
2012-1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
Funny I came across this. Earlier today, I was in the middle of no where and went in to a gas station/market. They had tons of VHS movies for rent. There was just as many on the other wall.
Antiques, those my be worth some change.
(No, my mom moved last year, wanted to know if anyone wanted her VHS's, they went to the thrift store because, no, and none of us owns a dad gum VCR anymore)

I think a good lawyer could have a time with this one. Get it expunged from her record. But what the system is counting on is for her to go to the judge, him throw down a minor fine, and she take the easy way. The system just about always counts on people not wanting to fight the charge.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Damn...
I have some overdue library books from the 8th grade...
Come and get me, bwa ha ha ha ha
Old 02-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post
I know a warrant for someone is the law. But lets have some common sense from the Police Dept. Its not like she was heading for the border. Send her home and lets talk about it tomorrow should have been what happen. Where I live there is no room in the jail cells for miner offenses.
Two weeks ago, somebody stole $2000 from my father- in- law. No law enforcement agency is even interested in taking any information down, let alone will any investigate (every law enforcement agency and/ or person I have spoken with has sent me "elsewhere," to the person/ angency that "handles these things," where I am always, yet again, sent elsewhere).

Yet, they are all over this hot warrant... lock her up, invest some tax dollars and time into this one. She seems like a big threat!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I actually pity the young people in this world. They are in no way being given the chance to live in the free world most of us older folks knew. Common sense is no longer the norm, a mans word is no longer valid and the police become more like the Gestapo every day.

The woman was wrong, by not returning the item. The police were wrong by over reacting to the type and severity of crime. Heck they had the arrest warrant for all those years and never served it? It wasn't worth their time up until that moment.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #13
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
I actually pity the young people in this world. They are in no way being given the chance to live in the free world most of us older folks knew. Common sense is no longer the norm, a mans word is no longer valid and the police become more like the Gestapo every day.

The woman was wrong, by not returning the item. The police were wrong by over reacting to the type and severity of crime. Heck they had the arrest warrant for all those years and never served it? It wasn't worth their time up until that moment.
This SHOULD be a matter for a collection agency, not a police force. She owes some late fees, or the charge for the lost tape, or whatever... hell, a couple hundred bucks even, if they really want to be dicks (tip: They DO want to be dicks!). Not sure who she needs to pay it to, maybe give it to a charity. But to maintain a warrant for that long (wait, aren't there a lot of major crimes that have much storter statutes of limitation?), and to charge her with a crime, jail her, and set in motion the events that will require a prosecutor, a lawyer/ public defender, the administrative effort involved in prosecuting and defending this case... unbelievable how soundly common sense has been abolished.

Here in SoCal, a few months ago, an elderly man with mild palsy dropped a cigarette on his own lawn. Passing officers witnessed this felony (wait, might not be a felony, but crimefighters fight crime no matter what the offense!), and accosted the man. The man's son was alerted that the police were outside, preparing to write a $1000.00 (yes, decimal placement is correct: One thousand tax- payer earned dollars) citation, but when the son ASKED about whether or not he could pick up the butt himself, and save the family from the trouble (and witnesses testify that he was respectful, non- confrontational, and compliant), one cop tackled the son, and another tased his genitals multiple times.

So, yeah... seems that the petty things can still get a LOT of attention from law enforcement. I know that the majority of law enforcement personnel are "fighting the good fight," and prioritizing in a way that makes sense... but the minority of them who are raging idiots really make the whole system look stupid.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #14
2012-1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
This SHOULD be a matter for a collection agency, not a police force. She owes some late fees, or the charge for the lost tape, or whatever... hell, a couple hundred bucks even, if they really want to be dicks (tip: They DO want to be dicks!). Not sure who she needs to pay it to, maybe give it to a charity. But to maintain a warrant for that long (wait, aren't there a lot of major crimes that have much storter statutes of limitation?), and to charge her with a crime, jail her, and set in motion the events that will require a prosecutor, a lawyer/ public defender, the administrative effort involved in prosecuting and defending this case... unbelievable how soundly common sense has been abolished.

Here in SoCal, a few months ago, an elderly man with mild palsy dropped a cigarette on his own lawn. Passing officers witnessed this felony (wait, might not be a felony, but crimefighters fight crime no matter what the offense!), and accosted the man. The man's son was alerted that the police were outside, preparing to write a $1000.00 (yes, decimal placement is correct: One thousand tax- payer earned dollars) citation, but when the son ASKED about whether or not he could pick up the butt himself, and save the family from the trouble (and witnesses testify that he was respectful, non- confrontational, and compliant), one cop tackled the son, and another tased his genitals multiple times.

So, yeah... seems that the petty things can still get a LOT of attention from law enforcement. I know that the majority of law enforcement personnel are "fighting the good fight," and prioritizing in a way that makes sense... but the minority of them who are raging idiots really make the whole system look stupid.
I'm sorry, but wtf is against the law about dropping a cigarette on your own lawn(Seriously, what law does that fall under out there?). I live inside a municipality and could throw cat poop out of my litter box out there if I want(I don't), nobody going to say anything, unless it becomes a health issue or I build a 10 foot pile of it maybe. Even then I doubt it would go anywhere.