Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
1LE replacement struts Koni/Bilstein

I want to replace my factory 1LE struts, I'm tired of the bang over bumps. Looking at the Bilstein B6 and the Koni Yellow adjustable. Anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarkent strut that will meet or exceed the factory 1LE units.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
I can't say from personal experience but the Bilstein B6's are highly recommended and may be the best shock you can buy apart from some coilovers or DSSV type shocks (like on the Z28).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
I can't say from personal experience but the Bilstein B6's are highly recommended and may be the best shock you can buy apart from some coilovers or DSSV type shocks (like on the Z28).
I know, they are on backorder from Germany with no end in site.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Koni Sport Yellows are temporarily out of production due to a design update
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Mr. Hyde

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Anyone have any experience with Pedders Sports Ryder struts/shocks? After several months of delays on the Bilsteins I cancelled and I'm looking for something as well.
Mr. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Ive heard decent stuff about the Koni orange struts, not as good as the yellows but still a step up.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Ridetech HQ coilovers are the best you will get in ride if you can swing it. Handling is superb and you can adjust the rebound and ride height

Last edited by VR Baron; 10-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Koni Sport Yellows are temporarily out of production due to a design update
BMR Sales, are the Koni Yellow comparibale or better thab the factory 1LE?
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
What about the Z28 DSSV struts/shocks with a set of BMR -1.00 springs? There is a set for sale for $1250 in the classifieds. Not sure how they would work together? But I do know the Z28 runs smaller sways with stiffer springs to counter body roll. Running weaker springs with the stiffer/bigger 1le sways might work? I think there is an issue with the rear SS type spring with the Z28 shock. Just trying to think outside the box...
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #10
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
What about the Z28 DSSV struts/shocks with a set of BMR -1.00 springs? There is a set for sale for $1250 in the classifieds. Not sure how they would work together? But I do know the Z28 runs smaller sways with stiffer springs to counter body roll. Running weaker springs with the stiffer/bigger 1le sways might work? I think there is an issue with the rear SS type spring with the Z28 shock. Just trying to think outside the box...
Good thinking, good thing is I'm in no hurry to swap out the struts. I can wait for the B6 or Koni's to be back on the shelves in the near future.

I would like to use the B6 but I just want to make sure it has equal or better performance than the stock struts. I like the idea of the adjustability of the Koni but you can only adjust rebound on them, never really understood why they make an adustable shock with only one adjustment.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #11
zz430camaro

I talked to Koni about the redesign. They said there was an incident were one of their strut spring support plates came in contact with a tire on a car with factory 20" wheels. Because of that, they pulled the struts and redesigned the spring support plate so this could not happen. They are waiting for the stampings to come on the boat from China (lol no kidding) and then they can start assembly, he had no idea when they would be available, I was thinking maybe next spring.

Bilstein is re-tooling and getting new machines, that is why they dont have a lot of stuff avaliable. Can't believe a large company would be this bad and getting new machines, they must be losing millions with this fiasco. Guess they are more interested in drinking beer over there or something LOL.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I never noticed any banging, but I don't drive a lot of commuting miles where it would probably bug me too. My stockers have 35k miles when I took them off.

I have the Ridetech HR's now and for me they're awesome, however it will naturally come with more NVH generally speaking since there are hard mounts etc. Also wouldn't necessarily say it's more comfy, though that's not a focus of mine. I kind of enjoy the occasional pinging noise, and more often the squishy sound of the shock working.

I'd bet money the Bil B6 is better than the OEM FE4, objectively, at a track with a stopwatch, with good driver.

Koni yellow adjustability - you should really consider that as a means to match the behavior of all 4 shocks on a shock dyno, and then to be able to adjust them to your needs as they age / wear. It's not meant to be adjusted on the fly or quickly after a track session etc. This is not new info, Koni has been making the yellow/sport shock for enthusiasts for decades. It's a cheap way to get pretty good performance, especially for the Autocrosser that doesn't have money for $3k per corner for custom valved shocks to compete in the "stock" classes.

Get some Ohlins R&T coilovers?

Or, spring some really big bucks on custom valved stuff from pretty much any of the top damper vendors. But if you're not racing for championship points it's probably not worth the cost.

Or buy a Caddy...:P I kid, of course you have a right to be annoyed at banging noisy OEM suspension. (maybe Lexus? haha jk!)
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
zz430camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
I never noticed any banging, but I don't drive a lot of commuting miles where it would probably bug me too. My stockers have 35k miles when I took them off.

I have the Ridetech HR's now and for me they're awesome, however it will naturally come with more NVH generally speaking since there are hard mounts etc. Also wouldn't necessarily say it's more comfy, though that's not a focus of mine. I kind of enjoy the occasional pinging noise, and more often the squishy sound of the shock working.

I'd bet money the Bil B6 is better than the OEM FE4, objectively, at a track with a stopwatch, with good driver.

Koni yellow adjustability - you should really consider that as a means to match the behavior of all 4 shocks on a shock dyno, and then to be able to adjust them to your needs as they age / wear. It's not meant to be adjusted on the fly or quickly after a track session etc. This is not new info, Koni has been making the yellow/sport shock for enthusiasts for decades. It's a cheap way to get pretty good performance, especially for the Autocrosser that doesn't have money for $3k per corner for custom valved shocks to compete in the "stock" classes.

Get some Ohlins R&T coilovers?

Or, spring some really big bucks on custom valved stuff from pretty much any of the top damper vendors. But if you're not racing for championship points it's probably not worth the cost.

Or buy a Caddy...:P I kid, of course you have a right to be annoyed at banging noisy OEM suspension. (maybe Lexus? haha jk!)
I love the way the car handles and rides with the factory 1LE stuff. Its firm but not too much and handles great on the street, best of both worlds. The banging sound comes from the front struts bottoming out when the wheel makes a sudden drop, when it happens the sound is super loud like someone hit the front end with a sledge hammer. Its a known problem with these cars and only happens on very specific bumps in the road. If you were in the car when it happened you would say "holy #hit" what the hell was that. So I am not being a cry baby about the way the car handles/rides but trying to fix a real problem with it. Its embarrassing when it happens and you have a passenger in it. I could take it to a dealer and probably have them replaced but they will just put the same parts on and it will probably will still do it.

I think I am going to wait for the B6 to come back out and give them a try on the front and see how it goes, i dont want to put some crazy money into the suspesion cause i only drive it on the street.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz430camaro View Post
I love the way the car handles and rides with the factory 1LE stuff. Its firm but not too much and handles great on the street, best of both worlds. The banging sound comes from the front struts bottoming out when the wheel makes a sudden drop, when it happens the sound is super loud like someone hit the front end with a sledge hammer. Its a known problem with these cars and only happens on very specific bumps in the road. If you were in the car when it happened you would say "holy #hit" what the hell was that. So I am not being a cry baby about the way the car handles/rides but trying to fix a real problem with it. Its embarrassing when it happens and you have a passenger in it. I could take it to a dealer and probably have them replaced but they will just put the same parts on and it will probably will still do it.

I think I am going to wait for the B6 to come back out and give them a try on the front and see how it goes, i dont want to put some crazy money into the suspesion cause i only drive it on the street.
I totally understand. I poked a little fun but only in light hearted way - not calling you a crybaby.

The noise you describe has never happened in my car (for that 35k miles). I drive some fairly rough roads too, what you describe reminds me of what a low-travel coilover shock will do when hitting 2x4 equivalent sharp bump in the road and hit the bump stops - BANG! ... yeah definitely not pleasant.

Good luck in your efforts. 1LE stock ride is definitely a good performer, I don't blame you for not wanting to change it (but for the bangs).

I'd agree that B6 would be one of the best choices for FE4 replacement, but might feel little more firm.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote