Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
ZL1togo

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Just purchase a 2013 ZL1

Just purchased a ZL1 and got it home. Flew out to purchase it and drove it home across 6 states. What a ride! Performed perfectly with zero issues, couldn’t be happier. Figured I would write my first post thanking everyone for all the great info on this site that helped me decide to buy this beautiful black on black hot rod! Now I have to read more and find out the cleaning products I need and techniques used to clean this thing up.
ZL1togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Awesome!

Enjoy the ride!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
diddies

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1togo View Post
Just purchased a ZL1 and got it home. Flew out to purchase it and drove it home across 6 states. What a ride! Performed perfectly with zero issues, couldn’t be happier. Figured I would write my first post thanking everyone for all the great info on this site that helped me decide to buy this beautiful black on black hot rod! Now I have to read more and find out the cleaning products I need and techniques used to clean this thing up.
Congrats. Take good care of it. Are you going to be going down the path of making it faster?
diddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
ZL1togo

Living in Komifornia makes mods very difficult, especially with the new law off failing the smog test if you have a tune. BUT.... I do plan on using the Roto-Fab CAI and swapping it out for smog. I would also like to go with a bigger lower pulley and a tune but I have to make sure it will pass smog with the tuned pulled and the lower pulley still on the car.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Living in Komifornia makes mods very difficult, especially with the new law off failing the smog test if you have a tune. BUT.... I do plan on using the Roto-Fab CAI and swapping it out for smog. I would also like to go with a bigger lower pulley and a tune but I have to make sure it will pass smog with the tuned pulled and the lower pulley still on the car.
Yes, I smogged mine before the tune rule change. I would do things differently with that in mind but I didn't get too crazy on mods knowing how strict California is on smog checks and how it tends to get worse not better.
With that in mind I wouldn't recommend headers, you gain some hp but some is lost due to lower boost. Also ups the underhood heat and passing smog not easy, stock cats in stock position etc.
And rotofab not approved. I wouldn't do a cam unless I was sure it could be run with a stock tune for smog. IDK if even a stage 1 can do that, I doubt a stage 3 could.
I'd recommend doing a 10% lower pulley by ATI, it can be a good upgrade and no tune required. A tune that can be installed and reverted back also as a second upgrade. Keep in mind it takes a long time for smog "ready" checks in the computer to go online after you reflash it so don't do it right before a smog check. The rotofab or 10% by itself can be done without a tune but adding both should have a tune or won't run its best. The 10% will likely get past smog and rotofab no is the other consideration.
Bigger increases in power want bigger injectors which must have a tune.
How much mods do you want to have to install and uninstall and reinstall for a 2 year smog check
I'll see in another year how my e85 upgrades R&R hassles (I do it myself and don't pay a shop) and how much I want to keep redoing injectors and all that for the checkup.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Google GM Drive cycle to help reset sensors to pass smog.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
ZL1togo

I’m hoping to get feedback from fellow Californians about upgrades. I will definitely be getting the Roto Fab. I don’t mind changing that out. I hope to do the lower pulley but only if I can get a tune with both mods and then pull the tune out and pass with just the pulley on the factory tune.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Google GM Drive cycle to help reset sensors to pass smog.
That helps, but there is one stubborn sensor, I don't recall, evap?
That is problematic. No codes and nothing appears leaking or broken but it just won't go ready in hundreds of miles. I'm not the only one that had that problem. Some posted a factory type cycling that didn't involve driving I might have to find again next year. I don't recall what type OBD equip it required.
Not to get too far off topic but smog for oil smoking cars I can agree with, but for the less than 1% of mod'ed cars that run and are tuned properly that could pass a tailpipe check I think is being too restrictive. To non-Cali stater's Don't really want to hear for the millionth time how f'd California is, as if we don't know. Not everyone can easily move to a different state right now. Just wait for your state to go with those smog policies as the cool-aid drinkers move there
Quote:
I’m hoping to get feedback from fellow Californians about upgrades. I will definitely be getting the Roto Fab. I don’t mind changing that out. I hope to do the lower pulley but only if I can get a tune with both mods and then pull the tune out and pass with just the pulley on the factory tune.
Make SURE you can save your factory tune BEFORE writing any tune. So you have something to put back, or you might have trouble setting it back to OEM with a $$ dealer visit.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #9
ZL1togo

Thanks sleeper, I will make sure and research that. I’m pretty sure you’re allowed one “not ready” code but that may be up to the smogger.
I must’ve missed something though... you kinda went off on other Staters telling us to just move out of Cali but I didn’t see any post suggesting that. Maybe just holdover from other posts? I have heard it before though and it is kind of hard to relocate from a great job because of smog laws but I must admit, I’m about done with this place because of the sum of all the crap. But I sure love this car!
Old 12-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Congratulations on your ZL1 purchase!!! Enjoy that baby!!
Old 12-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
That helps, but there is one stubborn sensor, I don't recall, evap?
That is problematic. No codes and nothing appears leaking or broken but it just won't go ready in hundreds of miles. I'm not the only one that had that problem. Some posted a factory type cycling that didn't involve driving I might have to find again next year. I don't recall what type OBD equip it required.
Not to get too far off topic but smog for oil smoking cars I can agree with, but for the less than 1% of mod'ed cars that run and are tuned properly that could pass a tailpipe check I think is being too restrictive. To non-Cali stater's Don't really want to hear for the millionth time how f'd California is, as if we don't know. Not everyone can easily move to a different state right now. Just wait for your state to go with those smog policies as the cool-aid drinkers move there
Make SURE you can save your factory tune BEFORE writing any tune. So you have something to put back, or you might have trouble setting it back to OEM with a $$ dealer visit.

It's the O2 sensor I belive. Once I did this it was ready to go.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:32 AM   #12
ZL1togo

Thank you. Going to get the Roto Fab dry element CAI soon. Looks like there are a couple different ones to choose from and also the Big Gulp. I’m not getting the Bug Gulp but not sure what the diff is between the other two dry units. One says plastic and the other polypropylene. Not sure if that’s it. 40 bucks difference so has to be something
Old 12-13-2021, 08:19 AM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Quote:
I just went through this with my car. Feel free to reach out if you need info.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
ZL1togo

If you know the difference I’d love you’re input. Thanks