Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #1
Mr Notorious

Drives: 2011 SS - SOLD
V6 Overheating Issues

I'm trying to help out a friend of mine and I don't really know anything about these V6 engines. The car is a 2010, V6, with around 175k miles. He's had it for a few months, and it just randomly started overheating this past week. He said it wasn't leaking from anywhere.

We are going to do a coolant flush and thermostat replacement. I watched some youtube video's and read some posts. I'm going to try and do it without removing the intake. Thermostat looks like it's in a lovely location on these cars

We played with it a little the other day, and the reservoir was topped off, but when I pulled the coolant cap the engine's coolant was low to the point were it took about 3 maybe 4 quarts. So I topped it off and it overheated again still.

Is there a reason why the engine isn't pulling coolant from the reservoir? I ensured the hose was free of debris.

Is there anything else I should do or check while tearing into it?

What's weird is the engine coolant that was in block looked alot like the green mix, when I know the Dex-cool stuff is supposed to be red. So that's the main reason we want to flush it all out. I also want to do a good burping to ensure no air is trapped.

Anything else I should be looking for or doing? Any good writeups or tips about flushing & burping?
Mr Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
As far as pulling from the reservoir, it could be the radiator cap, itself.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:03 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Start simple. Thermostat.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #4
Davval

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT V6, 2018 Silverado
I had this happen to me and I had a hard time figuring it out. It was the water pump, the propeller is pressed on to the shaft and had just fallen off inside the block, no sound no nothing. you can take off the belt and see how easy it is to turn the water pump pully.
Davval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
JohnZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT V6
I had temp spikes, it ended up just being a worn out Radiator Cap. Probably the easiest and cheapest place to start. Around 15 for an OEM cap.

BMR Bushing Inserts,Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pfadt Sway Bars and Endlinks, LSR Front Subframe Brace

SS Brembo Brakes, Racing Brake Stainless Lines
JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Have them make sure there is no air in the system. I had similar issues with mine after a radiator flush & the guys at the dealership failed to get all the air out of the system. A friend of mine worked on it most of a day at a car show to run the engine, squeeze on the hose, watch tons of bubbles come up, add more coolant, let it rest a while & repeat several times. Then it was fine.