Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Question About Catalytic Converters

Can a catalytic converter be placed on the wrong side, or are they the same? Just paid $1k to Meineke to put the new cat on the wrong bank. Bank 1 is on the passenger side. If it doesn't fit right, would there be the possibility of the Cat/manifold leak and exhaust pipe? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #2
co14camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro
If it's an OEM style then yes there can be issues. Was it a primary or secondary unit?
co14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Not sure. Says "Direct Fit Converter". I found this.

"Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters. Manifold and direct-fit catalytic converters are designed to bolt onto the vehicle without any additional adjustments to the mount space and the exhaust system. They are manufactured using the features and constraints specific to the vehicle in which they are installed."

So it must be made to GM Specs, I am assuming. And it is not a GM part, it sounds like. It did have a 2 year 2500mi warr. But I went back this morning. They will fix it and do it asap. I also found when I asked, they put it on the Driver's side, not the Passenger's side. Bank 1 is Cyl. 1. Bank 2 is Cyl. 2. My Camaro is the 2011 1lt coupe with RS package. I think it would have worked if it was installed correctly.

The cat comes off the exhaust man. There are two O2 sensors. One is before the converter and one after. It is dual exhaust, meaning Bank 1 has an exhaust system, and Bank 2 has a separate system, one having nothing to do do with other.

So Primary and Secondary no idea.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:22 AM   #4
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Primary sides do not matter, as far as the converter itself, but there is a left
and right downpipe with the cats on it.

Secondary sides do not matter, as far as the converter itself, but they are on the
same L/R downpipe.

SO, if you were to cut your primaries out for high-flow, then there is no left and
right hi-flow cat.

So, if they managed to put the downpipes on the wrong sides, with no leaks, then
it should not make one bit of differece. The cats are the same on both downpipes.

Both sides of the exhaust are tied in at the "H" pipe, they are not 100% separate.
TRUE DUALS, would be no crossover pipe, a completely separate exhaust for each bank.

The car will not throw an efficiency code if you do not use the Secondary cats, they
are not monitored. The downstream O2 sensors are before the secondaries.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

After they worked on it and I drove almost a week. I noticed power loss, and heard the exhaust and seemed like it had a leak. Not sure what happened, maybe it wasn't tightened enough or a bad gasket. Who knows, I didn't watch. And it is as you say it doesn't make a difference which side it goes on. Why does the code P0420 specify Bank One then? Why specify or differentiate Banks at all if same-o same-o? I wasn't satisfied when the light came on, with the same code. The guy told me as I was leaving, it had a year warranty. So, when I saw the light I went back and scheduled an appointment. I had to get an inspection with a smog. So they nailed it with the second visit, twice is the charm. Now I can get a smog and ins. They said $30. They said drive it around and call back for the appt., and I will. I'll call today. Anyhow, parts have a 2 1/2 year warranty. So good on them. I had an accident back in '92 in my '86 Ford Ranger. I took it to Meineke, and they did a hell of a job! I am leery if it is not the dealer but I don't appreciate being raked over the coals over the price, at least I didn't. Now I guess, it is of little consequence. I didn't have a lot of time. So I went with Meineke, they did a great job.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #6
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
P0420 means the flow on the passenger side is higher than the driver side. These
cars are sensitive to the flow rate. P0420 is an efficiency code ONLY, and does not
affect A:F ratios. A leak before the cats will also cause that, too much O2 in the
system. As I said, the converters are the same, both sides, but the down-pipes
are side specific. You can't have different cats per side, the motor would run
imbalanced. You do not need the secondary cats at all, they are not monitored.
The people who put the cats on mine, there was no substrate in the secondary cat
on the driver side, so I whacked them both off, no codes, with FACTORY sensors.

Common problem is the gasket at the header flange. A lot of aftermarket down-pipes
do not have the recessed ring for the factory style gasket. It can slide around on the
aftermarket pipes, like mine did, and one side had to be re-done... There was the
leak on mine, driver side, which is P0430. They also require periodic re-torquing of
the flange nuts, as the ring in the gasket, which did not go into a groove, is compressed.
I have had to tighten mine twice, and it's now set good.

Also, the WARRANTY is; New after market catalytic converters must have a 5 year /
50,000 mile warranty
on the converter shell, casing and end pipes and a 25,000 mile
warranty on the converter insides or substrate. Them telling you one year is a lie,
and is their way to think they can get out of replacing them should they go bad,
within the FEDERALLY mandated warranty periods. They probably installed cats from
Canada, which are like $320 a set. They don't want the come back when they go bad
in a year. Well, too bad, the warranties are federally mandated. However, since you
went to Meineke to have it re-done, they technically only have to warranty the
part(s) now. The 25,000 mile on the substrate is miles only, not a years and what
comes first, 25,000 miles period. SO, if you take 6 years to go 25,000 miles, then
so be it, but the warranty will be up on 5/50,000 portion.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
Gunner2357
Naval Disabled Combat Vet

Drives: 2010 Gen5 Camaro LT RS
I’m replacing both cats yea they are from Canada and I’m replacing all 4 (O2 sensors OEM) Would have loved to be able to afford for someone to install them for me Mine were missing the new bolts for bank 1 had to use same type of bolts as bank 2 dealer rips you off for these! any way I have it jacked up now for the 2nd day need to know the torque specs for the bolts can only find 2 specks and don’t know the correct one I’m going for the 18 lbs don’t wont to overdo it but if you know the correct Torque can you let me know??
Catalytic Converter Nut Catalytic Converter
Exhaust Manifold Nut 50 N.m 37 lb ft
Catalytic Converter Nut
25 N•m
18 lb ft
Gunner2357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #8
Gunner2357

Got Codes after install of cats

Hey guys, I finished my Cat replacement cause of bank 1 giving code P0420, Thought that if I need to place bank 1, might as well replace both cats at the same time with all new OEM O2 sensors. After 1 day the engine light came back on this time giving me PO420 and P0430 rechecked the bolts they are good no leaks. has anyone had the same issue? Do I need to do a Tune ? I'm bummed out.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:28 PM   #9
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Common problem when adding HF cats that has NO effect on engine performance. EZLY fixed without tune unless you want a tune. See post 13 in this thread. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ighlight=p0430
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:03 AM   #10
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner2357 View Post
Hey guys, I finished my Cat replacement cause of bank 1 giving code P0420, Thought that if I need to place bank 1, might as well replace both cats at the same time with all new OEM O2 sensors. After 1 day the engine light came back on this time giving me PO420 and P0430 rechecked the bolts they are good no leaks. has anyone had the same issue? Do I need to do a Tune ? I'm bummed out.
If you didn't use the factory cats then yes you will need someone tune them out or use spacers on the rear o2 sensors.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:29 AM   #11
Gunner2357

Thanks for the post link to post 13 I'll be getting those O2 spacers Ordered Won't be able to install them right away, Shoulder surgery coming up. I post after I replace them. Thanks again !
Old 02-16-2022, 07:30 AM   #12
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Welcome. They’ll work immediately if you clear the codes first. If not they’ll clear the codes after a few drive cycles. Good luck with your surgery and thank you for your service from US51991872
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:44 AM   #13
Gunner2357

O2 Senser Spacers Did the trick from Bigdadies . All is good !!