Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 05-30-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
U.B.Hotch

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
ENGINE SEIZED!!! DFW HELP PLEASE!

Hi all!

I'm new to the DFW area and I am in need of some advice...
I was driving to the airport a couple of weeks ago and my 2013 SS died unexpectedly driving down the road. No smoke, bells, whistles, knocks, etc. without any warning. Had the car towed to the nearest dealership in Grapevine north of the airport. I was informed the engine has seized and was quoted a repair bill of $10,500 to make it right again. Jaw hit the floor. Naturally, I wanted a second opinion... So, I had it towed closer to home to have a trusted mechanic in Waxahachie take a look. A little better news, but out the door would be $9,000. I am not able to fix the car financially. I owe another year at the bank which rounds out being about $7,000. With all that being said...I want to ask a couple of questions and get some feedback...

1. Has anybody had this happen to them and if so, what are the details regarding the fix?

2. Is there an alternate route I can take repairing the car, i.e. shade tree mechanic that won't charge dealership prices?

3. What is the car worth at the scrap yard? I am going to be very upside down either way I go financially. I am very seriously considering cutting my losses if I can get a couple thousand bucks at the scrap yard. One of the mechanics offered to buy my car for $3,000 at one of the shops I took it to, and a buddy of my offered to buy it for $2,500. Am I really going to be hosed here?

4. I owe $7,000 on the car. The repair bill will be $10,000 for a grand total of around $17,000 worth in my pocket book value. The car has 120,000 miles and has been meticulously maintained, but it is no where near worth the value after the repair...Can I get some opinions or options from all of you, good, bad, and ugly advice? My car is currently parked at my home and is being used as a lawn ornament. I need transportation in a hurry!

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Attached Images

U.B.Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
Dealership mechanics should have given you a reason for the engine to seize. Without knowing the reason, best you can do is to start checking obvious things.

Pull the spark plugs. Anything strange there? Oil or gas on the plugs?
Take the belt off and attempt to turn the pullies. Does everything rotate freely?
Use a breaker bar or large ratchet and see if you can turn the motor over. This is likely where you'll find the problem, so don't try to force it. If its stuck, then its stuck.

Next would be pulling off the valve covers and checking for broken lifters or bent pushrods. These should be fairly obvious if the motor won't turn over, and are followed by checking for a collapsed/failed lifter stuck in the bore, but that gets into really taking things apart.

TLDR: You can probably fix this in your driveway for 1/3-1/2 the price quoted by the dealership if you have a basic understanding of engines. Even if the motor requires a rebuild, you will save yourself a lot of money by checking the basics and pulling it out yourself.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
U.B.Hotch

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Yeah... Pretty sure the only thing both shops did was attempt to turn the engine with a bar. Only the breather box assembly has been removed. Nobody wants to do much work for a free estimate!
U.B.Hotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:03 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Did they try to turn it backwards? If a valve is in contact with a piston it might go that way.
What's a boneyard motor run these days? As you know the car ain't worth squat if it won't run, and if you get a few more years it could be worth keeping.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries240SS View Post
Dealership mechanics should have given you a reason for the engine to seize........
No.

The dealership will ONLY tell you your engine is broke; and they'll give you an estimate to install a NEW crate motor.

Dealerships won't fix engines; they will only replace an engine....and they will NOT open up your broken engine after they've pulled it to find out what's wrong with it.

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
68RSZ

Drives: 68 RSZ & 2010 SS2RS
I got a price of close to $6000 on a used (85,000 mile) used LS3. Plus of course whatever the intall would be. For the price new is the way to go.

Mine still runs so trading it in.
68RSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RSZ View Post
I got a price of close to $6000 on a used (85,000 mile) used LS3. Plus of course whatever the intall would be. For the price new is the way to go.

Mine still runs so trading it in.
I retract my $6k offer on your car.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #8
Jeff9962

Drives: 2014 1SS 6M
See if your trusted mechanic will install a used motor. LKQonline shows two available in Burleson for $3,626 each. Add in 24 hrs labor @ $75/hr, $500 worth of gaskets, fluids, belt, hoses, etc plus taxes on everything and you're out the door for around $6,400. Beg borrow or steal to pay that bill then refinance the car for 24-36 months to cover it. Pretty much sucks but that's where my brain goes.

Good luck with it.
Jeff9962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #9
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
I would start by removing the plugs and rotating the engine CCW. If it moves, you may have dropped a valve. If it doesn't rotate, I would still remove both valve covers to make sure all is normal there. How was your oil level?.....OOOPs I see this is an old post now sorry. What happened in this case?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Realistically, what is your budget on the repair? Are you able to pull the motor out on your own?