Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
asmith10

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS IBM
Bird Poop Mark

I had a bird poop on the car a day ago, and though I intended to clean it off once i got home, other matters popped up and I wasn't able to get to it until this afternoon when I washed and waxed it. I got the poop off, but there is a spot left behind that not matter how hard I scrub, it won't come out. It still shows up after being waxed as well. How do I get it to go away?
asmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Wash the spot with some diluted dawn and water to remove the wax, rinse, clay bar the spot using car soap/water as a lube, wash the spot again with your car soap, rinse then rewax. That's what I'd do.
The wax wont remove the spot but rather cover it with a layer of wax. The spot left behind is probably a mineral deposit of some sort left behind from the poop, or from the acidity/basicity of the poop reacting with your clear coat. Claying should knock it off, unless its really reactive seagull poo that Ive heard can burn your clear coat. More extensive treatment would be needed then.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Wash the spot with some diluted dawn and water to remove the wax, rinse, clay bar the spot using car soap/water as a lube, wash the spot again with your car soap, rinse then rewax. That's what I'd do.
The wax wont remove the spot but rather cover it with a layer of wax. The spot left behind is probably a mineral deposit of some sort left behind from the poop, or from the acidity/basicity of the poop reacting with your clear coat. Claying should knock it off, unless its really reactive seagull poo that Ive heard can burn your clear coat. More extensive treatment would be needed then.
Exactly. Those more extensive measures would be something like the PC and a polish like Adam's SHR or Zaino's PC Fusion. When you clay, make sure you apply pressure and scrub at the spot. This is contradictory to what you will read on the Internet but the grade of clay that is sold to the average consumer is NOT going to damage your paint. If anything, it will merely mar the paint if you don't keep it lubricated enough but can be easily remedied with a quick pass of the PC and a scratch removing polish.

Here's a quick video of my claying process.

How to Clay

Do you have access to or own a PC-7424?
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I've successfully removed bird poop marks by using a clear coat cleaner and a swirl remover. As long as the poop didn't etch too far into the clear coat, it will get a lot of the damage out, and if your lucky, all of it. On the other hand, I have a spot on the roof of my car where bird poop ate down to the primer coat. Wax by itself isn't likely going to get all the damage out.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerouSS View Post
I've successfully removed bird poop marks by using a clear coat cleaner and a swirl remover. As long as the poop didn't etch too far into the clear coat, it will get a lot of the damage out, and if your lucky, all of it. On the other hand, I have a spot on the roof of my car where bird poop ate down to the primer coat. Wax by itself isn't likely going to get all the damage out.
Wax won't get any of the damage out unless it is a cleaner wax. The clear coat would have to be cleaned thus requiring claying, polishing, etc., as mentioned above.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Bird poo is some nasty stuff, it actually eats the clear coat - therefore requiring you to follow the steps already posted.

I always keep a quick detail spray in my trunk with assorted micro fibers for such an occasion, because the quicker you get the poop off of it the less damage it will do.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
SS_in_Black

Drives: 2SS Black over Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Bird poo is some nasty stuff, it actually eats the clear coat - therefore requiring you to follow the steps already posted.

I always keep a quick detail spray in my trunk with assorted micro fibers for such an occasion, because the quicker you get the poop off of it the less damage it will do.
+1. I also keep a bottle of water for rinsing first then using the spray.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
asmith10

Drives: Camaro 2LT/RS IBM
Ok wierd thing happened. Like I said the mark was still there after I washed and waxed it that night. The next morning it was gone..I couldn't find a single trace of it!
asmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I came by and buffed it out. You owe me $10 plus travel.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
I came by and buffed it out. You owe me $10 plus travel.

Were you the mystery buffer or a mystery in the buff?

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote