Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 L99 Shifting Problem

2010 - L99

Sometimes on the highway our Camaro will stick in 5th for an extended period of time with the RPMs at 2500-3000. If I wait long enough it will finally shift to 6th. I can make it upshift with TapShift. It's done this infrequently for a long time but since it's not reproducible on demand, I haven't taken it it for service.

We recently had the car in the shop for scheduled maintenance. They did an oil/filter change and the HVAC reprogram from way back (we've never had it in the shop since we got it). Since getting it back we're having major shifting issues. Under hard acceleration it will stick in 3rd (I think) and rev up to 3000-4000 and never upshift. I'm sure it would hit the rev limiter if I let it. When I let off it will eventually downshift as the car slows. It doesn't happen all the time but it seems that it may be related to traction control because every time it has happened, I've gotten on it hard enough (typically turning from a stop) to make TC kick in.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this and if so, what was the resolution? I'm open to all input and advice. I hate to think of taking it to the dealership and say, "get on it really hard". I don't trust those guys.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Another guy was having issues simiar his started with cruise control problems, dealer told him the ecm and speed conrolled or something needed replaced
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I've seen this happen after a tune... but never on the stock tune... Have the dealer re-flash your tune.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I've seen this happen after a tune... but never on the stock tune... Have the dealer re-flash your tune.
Predator tuned but I restored the stock tune and it still does it. Maybe I should be talking to DiabloSport? Thanks for the input. I had ruled out the tune since it happens with the stock tune.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
Predator tuned but I restored the stock tune and it still does it. Maybe I should be talking to DiabloSport? Thanks for the input. I had ruled out the tune since it happens with the stock tune.
That's definitely NOT it... Diablo doesn't have tunes for Auto Transmission, which is the tune I was referring to...
Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
3BVert

Quote:
That's definitely NOT it... Diablo doesn't have tunes for Auto Transmission, which is the tune I was referring to...
That's what I thought but you gave me hope. Crap! Before taking the the car in for service I restored the stock tune. Before reapplying the Predator tune, I updated to the latest crom. Then problems. Either something with the tune and the new crom caused this or something happened at the dealer. The other odd thing is that now the Predator is saying "can't read codes" when I try to look at the trouble codes. So far no answer about that on the DS forum.

I hate this kind of thing!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
3BVert

Quote:
So your suggestion to re-flash is for the TCM and not the ECM?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
I've had similar issues with mine but I attribute it to my tune because I never had any issues when I was stock. I'm hoping a new tune will rectify the problem.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3BVert View Post
So your suggestion to re-flash is for the TCM and not the ECM?
Exactly... but I would put your stock tune back on first. Then let them troubleshoot from there.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
3BVert

Quote:
Exactly... but I would put your stock tune back on first. Then let them troubleshoot from there.
Got it. That was my plan. I just want to gather as much info going in as I can. It's back to stock now and AFM is driving me insane! We're waiting on some parts for the radio so I'll have them look at this when we take it back for that. I hope it doesn't turn out to be anything that is invasive to correct.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
You get it happening when driving in M mode not using the paddle shifters after getting on it right?

Read the manual, it is supposed to do that. The V-8 will hold the higher gear thinking you might want to jump back on it again. It does not do it in D.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
You get it happening when driving in M mode not using the paddle shifters after getting on it right?

Read the manual, it is supposed to do that. The V-8 will hold the higher gear thinking you might want to jump back on it again. It does not do it in D.
Correct. I'm in "Sport mode" (S on the DIC). I see what you're saying from the manual but it's not supposed to hold the gear all the way to the rev limiter is it? I understand that sport mode is designed to provide "more noticeable upshifts for sportier performance". My problem is that it never upshifts.

I suspect that you are probably correct and "D" will not do it so I'll do some testing. If that's the case, it would seem that something is off in the sport mode calibration and it's holding the gear too long.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit:

You know what, it just clicked. Here's what I think is happening... The place where this consistently occurs is a fairly busy road with a 40 MPH speed limit. I get on it coming off the stop sign but I suspect that maybe I'm letting off the accelerator right before the point that it would upshift. Now, I've let off and its at 3000-4000 and doesn't know that I no longer want to be "sporty". IMO it should go ahead and upshift once it's held a high RPM for too long but maybe I've confused it.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
It will hold the RPM's for 30-40 seconds. Mine does that, I can even make it do it going straight if I get on it and get off. But it will do it always getting on it thru a turn or from a stop to a turn.

You can use search on the site and see that has been talked about over the years. It is normal.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
3BVert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
It will hold the RPM's for 30-40 seconds. Mine does that, I can even make it do it going straight if I get on it and get off. But it will do it always getting on it thru a turn or from a stop to a turn.

You can use search on the site and see that has been talked about over the years. It is normal.
Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I guess I shouldn't drive around in M all the time. I never have any luck with search on forums but I must admit, this time I did not try first. Shame on me! It doesn't help that I haven't been on Camaro5 much in the past year.

Many thanks for the insight.

Edit: Scott@Bjorn3D was dead on. In D, this "problem" does not exist. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by 3BVert; 09-15-2011 at 06:37 PM.
3BVert is offline   Reply With Quote