Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
One piece drive shafts

Just wondering about the one piece drive shafts if they are a worth while upgrade or not? See a few being sold and wonder why? Thoughts on G-Force VS DSS?

Thanks for any input/ thoughts

Dave
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
They're a great upgrade if you're going to be pushing more power down to the wheels. The problem with the stock DS is, as you keep launching and in some cases, flooring it at a cruising speed, when you do either of them you weaken the bolts. Over time you'll end up sheering the bolts off. With high HP cars, the two pieces won't be able to keep up with rotation and will actually twist apart in the middle. When it comes to one company over another, it comes down to personal preference, or what's available if you're looking here in the classifieds. Both offer aluminum and CF shafts, are priced similarly and have great warranties. If you plan on doing any upgrades, power wise, then this would be a good investment.
2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedStealth View Post
They're a great upgrade if you're going to be pushing more power down to the wheels. The problem with the stock DS is, as you keep launching and in some cases, flooring it at a cruising speed, when you do either of them you weaken the bolts. Over time you'll end up sheering the bolts off. With high HP cars, the two pieces won't be able to keep up with rotation and will actually twist apart in the middle. When it comes to one company over another, it comes down to personal preference, or what's available if you're looking here in the classifieds. Both offer aluminum and CF shafts, are priced similarly and have great warranties. If you plan on doing any upgrades, power wise, then this would be a good investment.
this, plus reduction in rotating mass by about 5-7lbs which means less drivetrain losses
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
To remain impartial before the eventual vendor posts; search the forum for the number of each that have had vibration issues. Then compare weights. Both do offer great customer service and stand behind their product, but if it needs to be warrantied you're still either doing the work or paying for labor.

I did the above and I have a Gforce, smooth as glass up to 150mph.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #5
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
This may help

Guibo/hanger issue with stock shaft
The stock shaft will have to start by putting the torque into the front Guibo and it
gives, then it moves down to the hanger that is very soft and will move up about .750" then back to the rear guibo and compress that one, so by the time the torque goes thru the shaft its dampened allot to the point of feeling soft or disconnected, by putting the single shaft in the car will be allot more responsive to pedal/torque input. It will have a more athletic feel and be quicker due to the lack of the soft parts being
removed.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
I just installed a DSS one piece driveshaft on Friday when I did a diff swap on my V6 A6. You will tell the difference since when you touch the throttle, it takes off instantly and hard, no lag or build up.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #7
bmbbl be

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
I have a DSS 1 pc aluminum drive shaft and it reacts so much better than the stock one it is very noticeable, also livernois did my build and my combination of parts on a L99 usually had 550 rwhp,,, mine did 586 with 22's on the car and I will say the drive shaft had something to do with it !!
bmbbl be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Big Daddy Kane

Drives: Red 1SS
I have the DSS carbon fiber shaft, and I too have noticed a difference. Very happy with it. Too bad you can't see much of it once it's installed. Good quality.....It's a nice looking, strong looking, thick, hard shaft!! Lol.

Kooks LT Headers/catback exhaust, E-force supercharger, JRE fuel line upgrade, JRE differential, 3.91 LPE gears, Roto-fab intake, JRE tune, DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, Hotchkis chassis braces
Big Daddy Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
SuperchargedStealth

Drives: '11 Camaro Supercharged Convertible
Install isn't that big of a deal either. Getting the stock one out is more of a pain ass then putting one in. If it's something you're willing to do at home, then it's well worth it.
2011 Triple Black SS convertible, LSX 427, PRC 260cc heads, Callies Ultra Billet Rods, Wiseco -20 cc piston, Callies Dragon Slayer crank, Strange Dana 60 rear w/3.73 gear ratio and driveshaft, Pfadt coilovers, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt trailing arms, Pfadt tie rods, Pfadt subframe bushings, Vortech YSi with wastegate and twin BOV, Haltech ECU, Mantic 9000 Twin Clutch, ALKY control meth system with dual nozzle, Squash twin fuel pumps, ACS T3 ports, VIS Terminator Hood, Seibon ZL style lip.
SuperchargedStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
xtreme2s

Drives: Livernois Motorsports 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_Alaska View Post
Just wondering about the one piece drive shafts if they are a worth while upgrade or not? See a few being sold and wonder why? Thoughts on G-Force VS DSS?

Thanks for any input/ thoughts

Dave

With Livernois built 2010 w/M6, I went with DSS Carbon Fiber. Did a dyno pull before / then after, picked up 9whp and lost 12wtq. No vibrations and about 4000+ miles since installed.

So impressed that I also had DSS custom make a CF shaft for my 67 Camaro. The 67 has a TH350 w/ Gear Vendors OD, with a longer overhang, the lighter CF was a perfect upgrade. While not a lot of road miles, the 67 has a lot of good autocross action. No issues

Agree to another post, these look so cool, a shame that not seen.
xtreme2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme2s View Post
...picked up 9whp and lost 12wtq...
Wait...what? You lost torque?
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5s, ZL1 Brakes, 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, BTR Stage II Cam, Fluidampr U/D Pulley, Performance Redline Dyno Tune, CAI & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats, Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax TB, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers & Diffuser, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Door Handles, Tint, Technostalgia Tail Lights, AAC Side Markers, BlackVue dash cam and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #12
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
Thanks for all the input everyone!! Anyone else with input on the G-Force drive shaft? I see several members selling the DSS units but not so much the G-Force, is this because more DSS units are out in our camaro s?
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:23 AM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
Bigger company with more vendors, was first to market, and they do more advertising.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #14
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
i have had both i started with the DSS and switch to a geforce unit when i upgraded to there 9in. they are both good. and you cant go wrong with ether one.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote