Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #71
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I just thought I would add this to the thread. If you are using Bluetooth, (I do and love it) it functions through the Onstar vcim. If anyone has looked at the module and seen the external chip attached to it , thats for Bluetooth. You do NOT have to have a subscription to Onstar, but the module and wiring will have to stay intact. This is what I was told during an IDL course. If you like your Bluetooth but not Onstar, just let your subscription expire, but don't disable the module. BTW I will keep my Onstar subscription anyway.
R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #72
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
Um maybe he's planning on racing it and doesn't want any evidence that he's been at the track if the engine or tranny blows. Not sure GM honors a warrenty if your at a track racing. no onstar no witnesses.

disconnecting OnStar isn't going to help....We'll need a thread called "disabling the BLACK BOX" next...
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #73
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
another reason for disconnecting onstar:

"According to this Mercury News article users of GM's OnStar system are finding that they can modify their OnStar unit to make it work with commercially available mapping software after disconnecting it from the OnStar network. Websites and message boards are rife with step-by-step instructions to personalize OnStar's navigational and communications components. When a driver requests directions from OnStar his GPS data is routed over an analog cellular network to OnStar computers and the directions are read back to the driver on the same network. The price for this service is around $400 each year. Those who tap into their OnStar systems pay no such fees."
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #74
blkdymd

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I'm liking this new technology. And if anyone is stupid enough to steal my baby the on-star will find them for me so I can kill them!!!
blkdymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #75
blkdymd

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
And it reminds me where home is
blkdymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:59 AM   #76
jdd123

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
When the on* service is deactivated, it can easily be reativated remotely by on*? I would guess that the mic can be activitated like they did with cell phones to chatch some mobsters. There are many privacy issues that I initially did not want it. Wouldn't have it if it was an option. I decided to keep it only for the tracking if the vehicle is stolen. The cell phone is cheaper and turn by turn would only be useful for me if I was on a long trip (rare). However, I am weird that way as I do not even like the gps boxes they have or the navagation on the vettes. Not paranoid, just do not care for the service and able to use a map just fine.
jdd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #77
VT2CA

Drives: 2010 1LT CYBER GREY
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordguy972000 View Post

its behind the dash passanger side. almost behind stereo. ill post picks later.
Can you still post pics? do you have to take apart the dash to get to it?
VT2CA is offline   Reply With Quote