Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #1
JustFresh

Drives: 2011 1LT RS M6 Black
LLT ENGINE PROBLEMS

Hey,

It has been a long while since I have been here so I hope there are some active members on here still.

I have 71,xxx miles on my car and yesterday my engine went out on me.

It sounded like bad misfiring on almost all the cylinders.

Turns out I have low compression (almost nonexistent) in cylinders 2 & 5.

My powertrain warranty ran out on 9/30 so i am completely out of pocket on this repair.

Should i just swap it out for a rebuilt/salvaged engine?

The dealership wants $1,700 just to even crack open the engine to diagnose the problem further.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
JF
JustFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
These motors seem to have a real problem. I wouldn't waste $1,700 just to get told you need a new motor.
I would try to find a junk yard motor change it out and unload it. Or, if it's a keeper for you buy a new motor.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
try contacting chevy customer service. These motors have direct injection and therefore don't squirt fuel in the intake to clean off excess oil. The valves and guides tend to carbon up and stick. There is a tsb on decarbonization.
This is why there is all the talk about catch cans

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
fradaj

Drives: RS
I would recommend checking for any codes shown by the ECU, might help figuring out the problem. From what I hear a new engine is about $9000.00.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Maybe if every LLT owner banded together for a class action ... online ...
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #6
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
is that possible?
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4rMach1ne View Post
is that possible?
Nope, stupid subaru owners have been trying that ever since they started using direct injection because grocery getters don't understand how direct injection works so they freak out when they go 3k over their oil change and have issues.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I try to change my oil every 3 to 4k miles.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
DI engines by all makers have top end issues that can cause problems because fuel never gets to it to wash away gum. The engine over all is a bad design. I'm all for a class action lawsuit.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:26 AM   #10
fradaj

I believe that BMW now has an engine the uses both DI and Port FI.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 AM   #11
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I have started using Stabil 360 which is supposed to help with that issue (top end gunk accumulation). It may be a placebo effect but It seems to me like it is running better.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
I am in the exact same position as you as of this week. Been having misfire issues for a month now, and after taking the car to several different mechanics, the most recent shop its at called me today to tell me that it looks like non of the mods including the supercharger are the problem, and that there is some internal motor issues that might lead to me needing a new motor. I am about to spend close to a grand on having them open up the motor, which IMO might be worth it if even a reman engine is over 5k.

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated; I definetly don't have the funds atm for a reman engine let alone the labor costs.
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I am in the exact same position as you as of this week. Been having misfire issues for a month now, and after taking the car to several different mechanics, the most recent shop its at called me today to tell me that it looks like non of the mods including the supercharger are the problem, and that there is some internal motor issues that might lead to me needing a new motor. I am about to spend close to a grand on having them open up the motor, which IMO might be worth it if even a reman engine is over 5k.

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated; I definetly don't have the funds atm for a reman engine let alone the labor costs.
As others have suggested, suspect the intake valves first. They could be gunked up causing a compression issue.
Not too hard to pull the intake and look at the valves and clean. Or search the thread on here on seafoam cleaning them.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
fradaj

Usually a misfire is due to problems with the ignition or fueling. I assume you have checked for codes. Hopefully it's not the dreaded stretched timing chain.