Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
SinginHawk

Drives: 2015 2LT
Retrofit NPP Exhaust Onto 2015 2LT V6

I know that it will physically fit, but as far as I'm aware I won't have the necessary hoses and/or vacuums for the NPP to work as it would from factory, with pressure sensitivity and activation. I like the idea of being able to control the drone and/or volume at the flip of a switch. Can I have one without the other?

1. Is it true that I wouldn't have the pressure sensitivity/RPM activation without additional parts and labor beyond the exhaust itself (planning on buying used NPP)?

2. Would I still be able to use a Mild2Wild or similar Controller to control the NPP valves even without the pressure gauges and activators?

My favorite option is if I can still control the NPP valves without modifying anything under the hood to allow RPM activation. My next best option would be MRT v2.0 with Dual Tips. Thoughts, ideas, insight?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
I hve heard the vr2 sounds good the npp setup could run you a lot of money
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #3
SinginHawk

How so? NPP would be around 600, with about 200 for relevant wiring and harnesses for the controller.

MRT v2 is 600 new, with about 100 for dual tips, and 100 for the welding of those tips.

Price looks to be about the same, except with one of them I get to control the drone (ideally).

I like to buy OEM used and aftermarket new.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If you can buy the exhaust you can buy the Vacuum diaphrams and there is not that much too it. A storage tank, electric going in through trunk...Here look at the instructions for a Forza three way switch.... it shows the stuff pretty well.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411551

And though you could create a switch for the exhaust it would be a pain, and no the switches will not work with out it hooked up. Maybe you should look up some threads on retro fitting or talk to Forza Steve
Old 11-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Why do people like these so much? Do the open/closed valves really make that big of a difference from each other?
Old 11-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Search in the LFX forums. I added a complete NPP system when I had my V6 Camaro.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
A friend of mine talked to the GM Engineer in charge of the Dual mode exhaust at the Find New Roads event. They talked about this specifically and the engineer indicated that it's very complicated to attempt to add after the fact. It's not just slapping it in. In the Gen6 he flat out said forget it.
The best solution some came up with was a manual switch, but you're better off just finding a nice aftermarket exhaust.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
I have a friend who has a 2014 1LT Convertible, a couple weeks ago, I just helped him find a NPP from a 2012 2SS and installed it on his car. No need for modification for the exhaust to fit on a convertible/V6.

Regarding the flaps, they will stay open all the time. If you want to control the flaps, you need to buy the NPP IN A BOX. This is for those who didn't have the NPP setup from the factory. I never done it, but according to the website, it only takes 5 mins for installation. http://www.nakidparts.com/id78.html With this, you will have access to control the flaps for, OPEN ALL THE TIME, OEM SETTING (3500RPM+ OPEN)

About how it sounds on the V6, for loudness, my MRTV1 is a little bit louder than the NPP, but the NPP is still pretty loud. What's best, is that the NPP is at the same time deeper!!

If I had the choice to go back, I would definitely choose the NPP for only spending $500 and maybe $180 for the NPP in the box.

For my MRTV1, I already spent 430 for the exhaust, 140 + 100 labor for the quad tips, 200 + 100 labor again for the SOLO J PIPES to get rid of the drones. =(
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:47 AM   #9
SinginHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
If you can buy the exhaust you can buy the Vacuum diaphrams and there is not that much too it. A storage tank, electric going in through trunk...Here look at the instructions for a Forza three way switch.... it shows the stuff pretty well.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411551

And though you could create a switch for the exhaust it would be a pain, and no the switches will not work with out it hooked up. Maybe you should look up some threads on retro fitting or talk to Forza Steve
Yeah, it makes sense to ask them about the specific wiring options, and maybe even if their system could work in tandem with NPP in a Box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Why do people like these so much? Do the open/closed valves really make that big of a difference from each other?
I think the biggest benefit is the ability to control drone without further modifying the exhaust. Also, Quad tips are included and require no fabrication. When the valves are open, one of the pipes on each side is essentially a straight through pipe with little to no muffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Search in the LFX forums. I added a complete NPP system when I had my V6 Camaro.
Did you have the Dual-Mode functionality? What else did you install besides the exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
A friend of mine talked to the GM Engineer in charge of the Dual mode exhaust at the Find New Roads event. They talked about this specifically and the engineer indicated that it's very complicated to attempt to add after the fact. It's not just slapping it in. In the Gen6 he flat out said forget it.
The best solution some came up with was a manual switch, but you're better off just finding a nice aftermarket exhaust.
There is a product called NPP in a Box that apparently solves the problem of NPP functionality relatively easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
I have a friend who has a 2014 1LT Convertible, a couple weeks ago, I just helped him find a NPP from a 2012 2SS and installed it on his car. No need for modification for the exhaust to fit on a convertible/V6.

Regarding the flaps, they will stay open all the time. If you want to control the flaps, you need to buy the NPP IN A BOX. This is for those who didn't have the NPP setup from the factory. I never done it, but according to the website, it only takes 5 mins for installation. http://www.nakidparts.com/id78.html With this, you will have access to control the flaps for, OPEN ALL THE TIME, OEM SETTING (3500RPM+ OPEN)

About how it sounds on the V6, for loudness, my MRTV1 is a little bit louder than the NPP, but the NPP is still pretty loud. What's best, is that the NPP is at the same time deeper!!

If I had the choice to go back, I would definitely choose the NPP for only spending $500 and maybe $180 for the NPP in the box.

For my MRTV1, I already spent 430 for the exhaust, 140 + 100 labor for the quad tips, 200 + 100 labor again for the SOLO J PIPES to get rid of the drones. =(
I have browsed around, but wasn't sure if the NPP in a Box is compatible with a V6 Camaro, since it doesn't explicitly state so. I'll probably end up contacting them directly to ask. If I could further program the switch to work with my garage door opener instead of the included fob without further modification, that'd be great too.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:18 AM   #10
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Because it sounds bad ass for a stock set up, no drone, loud under acceleration and quiet when needed! You should check one out!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes the open/ closed make a real big difference especially with headers. And the sound is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=u6NEyQbdnb4

Any way here is a video I did without cracking up after my wife teased me in her piggy slippers saying I was showing off...lol I had to remake it over and over because I could not stop cracking up.... Someday I will remake it and take it for a drive with a go pro or something , during the video I do switch to quiet mode anyway....
Old 11-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Before you purchase an NPP exhaust system to retrofit to a Camaro that does not currently have the NPP system, what is it you intend to accomplish?
  1. Do you merely intend on installing the NPP exhaust system as replacement for your existing exhaust system because you like the sound of the NPP with exhaust bypass valves opens?
  2. Or, do you intend on installing the NPP exhaust system and have full functionality of the system as if it were installed at the factory?
In the first option, when you install the exhaust system with the dual mode mufflers, you end up with the muffler exhaust bypass valves in the always open position. You will have four exhaust tips, a nice sounding exhaust, but it is only going to be in single mode … that is, valves always open. Now, if you're happy with the NPP exhaust in the single mode, then you should be good to go.

In the second option, if you intend to be able to retrofit your car as it if were an original factory installed option … sorry, not going to happen. Why? Because you need to have a means to operate those valves and if your car was not equipped with NPP from the factory you will not have the necessary solenoid valve, accumulator tank, vacuum lines and ECU programming to make it all work.

Now, some have advocated getting a product called Mild2Wild NPP in a Box. Before you take this approach, you need to understand what is involved. NPP in a Box gives you a vacuum solenoid valve, a remote control relay, a couple of remote transmitters, some vacuum tubing and a component to tap into the engine manifold as a source for the vacuum required to operate the exhaust bypass valves on your NPP system. Missing from the NPP in a Box is a vacuum accumulator tank which stabilizes the vacuum that is otherwise quite unstable coming from the engine manifold, and your ECU is not wired in to control the valves. You will be using the remote control to manually open/close them. IMO, this is a Rube Goldberg solution.

You might think, OK, I can live with this. But, if you think that you can install the NPP in a Box in 5 minutes and you’re done, dream on. You will need to tap into a vacuum source, route vacuum lines, install the vacuum solenoid valve, tap into an electrical source for the solenoid valve and test everything. You will also probably want to acquire new rear diffuser for the 4-tailpipes. What you end with is a manual control for your exhaust bypass valve. But, remember, the vacuum will be quite unstable because you will be missing the vacuum accumulator tank. As you vary the throttle on your engine, the vacuum will rise and fall as you vary the throttle position. May not be a problem, but that is why manufacturers include the accumulator tank with vacuum actuated devices. Your total cost is going to the cost of the NPP exhaust system + about $200 for the NPP in a Box + a rear diffuser to accommodate the four tail pipes + your time to do all this. I would not be surprised if you end up spending close to, if not more than, $1000. Even more, if you install a vacuum accumulator tank.

If you want a true operable dual mode exhaust system to retrofit to your car which does not currently have his option, then the NPP route is a poor choice. You should be looking at an electrically operated dual mode system. Something like the Varex Xforce system.

(By the way, I am not in any way associated with Varex … I just like their products.) These electrically controlled units provide variable bypass valves that are remotely controlled using a small remote transmitter, do not require tapping into vacuum source and at the end of day will cost about the same as trying to retrofit the NPP system to your car. You can read more detail on Varex Xforce systems by going to their web site. You can also do a YouTube search for "Camaro Xforce" for various videos on installs and results.

Make sure you fully understand what is involved here and what the actual outcome and costs are going to be before retrofit your existing exhaust with a dual-mode exhaust system.

Best regards,

Steve

Last edited by forzasteve; 11-27-2015 at 09:19 AM.
forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeperRS View Post
Because it sounds bad ass for a stock set up, no drone, loud under acceleration and quiet when needed! You should check one out!
Nah I like it loud and extremely loud. Headers and 3 inch catback and noweeds diverters soon. Best of both worlds
Old 11-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
SinginHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzasteve View Post
Before you purchase an NPP exhaust system to retrofit to a Camaro that does not currently have the NPP system, what is it you intend to accomplish?
  1. Do you merely intend on installing the NPP exhaust system as replacement for your existing exhaust system because you like the sound of the NPP with exhaust bypass valves opens?
  2. Or, do you intend on installing the NPP exhaust system and have full functionality of the system as if it were installed at the factory?
I want neither. I want to be able to control the valves for open/closed, but I don't want vacuum/rpm actuation if I can help it.

From original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
... I'm aware I won't have the necessary hoses and/or vacuums for the NPP to work as it would from factory, with pressure sensitivity and activation. I like the idea of being able to control the drone and/or volume at the flip of a switch, though. Can I have one without the other?

2. Would I still be able to use a Mild2Wild or similar Controller to control the NPP valves even without the pressure gauges and activators?

My favorite option is if I can still control the NPP valves without modifying anything under the hood to allow RPM activation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzasteve View Post
Make sure you fully understand what is involved here and what the actual outcome and costs are going to be before retrofit your existing exhaust with a dual-mode exhaust system.
That's the idea. Thanks for the great insight into the unviability of installing a pressure system. I asked NPP in a Box directly, and they said that yes, it would work. However their printed directions assume quite a bit of functionality that my car simply doesn't have. I won't be going this route, but I'm still curious about my proposed option that you didn't mention.

Do you think that I could control the valves between open/closed with either the Forza or Mild2Wild controller, without vacuum activation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinginHawk View Post
My favorite option is if I can still control the NPP valves without modifying anything under the hood to allow RPM activation...

Tags
controller, dual tips, exhaust, mrt, npp