Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Stubborn Stains on Vert Top

While cleaning my vert before storage. I noticed some pollen and shithawk doo doo that did not want to come out with the hose..is there a spot remover that works well...some forums say woolite for darks..use full strength solution of 303 and let soak in before cleaning and re application of repellant. A detailer says use a good stream of water...did not want to use power hose but a good shot from the hose did not work. Will be able to acess the car next month to work on it...any ideas?
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
If your top has soil marks, stains or bird droppings, use a small, stiff upholstery scrub brush. If you can rub the brush across the back of your hand without scratching your skin, it's safe to use on your soft top.

Common cleaning products can be very harmful to your soft top. Chemicals you should not use on or near your top include ammonia, bleach, detergent, alcohol and vinegar.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
Mike J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
If your top has soil marks, stains or bird droppings, use a small, stiff upholstery scrub brush. If you can rub the brush across the back of your hand without scratching your skin, it's safe to use on your soft top.

Common cleaning products can be very harmful to your soft top. Chemicals you should not use on or near your top include ammonia, bleach, detergent, alcohol and vinegar.

Soak with water. First?. No detergent? Use the scrub brush only.and then use cleaner and protectant?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
Soak with water. First?. No detergent? Use the scrub brush only.and then use cleaner and protectant?
Here is what you need.
I'd wait for a sale if you can, or join the AG forum to get a 15-20% discount code.
http://www.autogeek.net/303fabcontop.html

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Having a vert, 303 2 step process will get that stuff out of your top and should hide it pretty well to after cleaning it. All you do is rinse the top and add the cleaner, use a horse brush and scrub then move to something stronger if that does not work. Let the cleaner soak in for a few minutes and rinse off. Once the top is dry spray the protectant evenly, make sure though to cover the windows and paint because it does make it a pain to get off. Let the protectant dry for up to 12 hours. Here is the link of the combo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A...P3L&ref=plSrch
Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
Mike J

Thanks ...you guys haven't steered me wrong yet
Old 01-31-2017, 05:25 AM   #7
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
I use a product called Ragtopp
http://www.autogeek.net/fabric-conve...-care-kit.html
Fabric convertible tops, I'd be very hesitant with a stiff bristled upholstery bush for fear of lifting the nap of the fabric. I prefer a nice soft Horse Hair, or split Nylon brush. Key to keeping the top as new is to get any contaminants off as soon as possible, and have a good quality protectant on it.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
I use a product called Ragtopp
http://www.autogeek.net/fabric-conve...-care-kit.html
Fabric convertible tops, I'd be very hesitant with a stiff bristled upholstery bush for fear of lifting the nap of the fabric. I prefer a nice soft Horse Hair, or split Nylon brush. Key to keeping the top as new is to get any contaminants off as soon as possible, and have a good quality protectant on it.
I do upholstery work for a living. A common stiff upholstery brush will not scratch a fabric convertible top.

Silk, linen, velvet, or long knap soft materials are the only fabrics it can scratch.

Unless your using too much pressure, as if your trying to sand a piece of wood or metal, a normal stiff upholstery brush is fine.

For protection, 303 is the more durable of the two products.

Applying 2-3 thin coats to a completely clean and dry surface is the key. Allow to dry 15-20 minutes in the sun between each coat, or an hour or so in the garage between coats.

Allow final coat to dry for as long as possible. It must be completely dry before the first rain to get maximum benefit.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Mr. Know it all has spoken

No advice or suggestions should ever be given once the all great and knowing Joe has spoken. The master of the Google search

My mistake, grab a stiff upholstery scrub brush and start scrubbing!

I'm gone from this one...
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
Mr. Know it all has spoken

No advice or suggestions should ever be given once the all great and knowing Joe has spoken. The master of the Google search

My mistake, grab a stiff upholstery scrub brush and start scrubbing!

I'm gone from this one...

I have been doing upholstery work for many years, so I know what a stiff upholstery brush is, and isn't capable of, and what materials not to use it on.

Instead of spending money on a "convertible top" specific brush, you can get a good quality upholstery brush for a fraction of the price.

http://www.biokleen.com/upholstery-cleaning-brush

I NEVER advocated SCRUBBING of the surface, these are YOUR words, not mine. It doesn't matter how safe a brush is, if you grind the brush into the surface like an idiot, you can cause marring with the softest brush on the planet.

As you continually seek to discredit posts I make to help people, by
implying things I never said, know this.

Here's a good video comparing durability of 303 vs. Raggtopp.
303 is much more hydrophobic, and resistant to chemicals. Proven by the results shown at the end.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 02-02-2017 at 03:22 PM.