Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #12377
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I think you covered all the positives. I think the MR shocks, though not dedicated for track use will help. I'm just wondering how much of that 3 seconds is brakes and how much is the 300 pounds and how much is the.....................etc.
I would say a big chunk is in the psuedo slicks, about 2 seconds. IMO, the Z/28 should be faster than tested against the ZL1. I guess we'll find out when one of the rags gets a pair of Zs for a head to head shoot out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
It seems extreme to take a road racing car to the strip, but it will happen. I remember a couple of 1st gen Z/28's at the local strip. They fared well, but the rat motors had a big advantage on the top end..... I won't be surprised if the ZL1 overtakes the new car on the top end as well.
I would expect the ZL1 to be faster in the 1/4 and in top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I pray this doesn't get out of hand.....

"The U.S. Navy is moving a massive radar platform closer to the North Korean coast to monitor that country's military moves, the Pentagon said today."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/01/world/...dar/index.html
No one wants to see another country go up in smoke. My brain says it is saber rattling, but my gut says the young man may fall victim to poor advice. What is a measured reaction if NK fires a couple of missiles at SK? Is there a measured reaction if NK fires off a nuke?

Don't answer as those are rhetorical questions

I am with #3. The political fallout will be more interesting than any exchange of fire.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #12378
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Pete, you mentioned Mark Stielow... did he help design a 5th gen that will whoop his 1st gen?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #12379
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Here's a question for all of you Z/28 owners to be (and Pete). Since we know the Z/28 will out lap a ZL1 (no easy task), what car(s) should this new beast be compared to in the rags?
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #12380
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Here's a question for all of you Z/28 owners to be (and Pete). Since we know the Z/28 will out lap a ZL1 (no easy task), what car(s) should this new beast be compared to in the rags?
That is a pretty good question.

Since the ZL1 already beats all the Mustangs they are out. And the Boss beat the M3 so that is out.

Already beats the CTS V on the track and that beats the M5 so that is out.

I'm looking forward to other thoughts but I think the Z stands alone.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #12381
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete, you mentioned Mark Stielow... did he help design a 5th gen that will whoop his 1st gen?

The Z/28 will give up some of the straight line speed to the ZL1, but the lower CG, square wheel and tire setup, higher spring rates, lighter weight, CC brakes and D.O.T legal slicks should make it faster than the ZL1 and right there with the Red Devil.

At the OPTIMA the L/28 projected out to the fastest road course time as our standing start lap was the 5th fastest lap of the day. The L/28 is 600 RWHP and heavier than the Z/28. Mark's new Camaro Mayhem has 850 at the rear wheels. You can't put down 850 on 200 tread wear tires. Put the L/28, Red Devil and Mayhem all on D.O.T. slicks and take 2 seconds off the lap times. Put the ZL1 on slicks and watch 2 seconds drop off. Red Devil and the ZL1 were both on street tires.

Quote:
Really good question. Maybe the Z06 or the Porsche GT3? The new VIPER?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #12382
Blueclyde

For the record, to "The House Regulars," there seems to be a ZL1 vs Z/28 thread theme in the ZL1 section of C5 and I just want you guys to know I'm not one of them. I love my ZL1; it's the right car for me. I also am totally stoked about the Z/28. If I lived in a warm weather state and hit the track often, I think I wold choose the Z/28. Since I live in the Detroit area and am about 3 hours from the closest road course my warm weather weekend warrior of choice is the ZL1, and I think it suits me best.

I'm so glad that the fifth gen platform is going to close out with this new beast at the head of the table.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #12383
JusticePete

Quote:
For the record, to "The House Regulars," there seems to be a ZL1 vs Z/28 thread theme in the ZL1 section of C5 and I just want you guys to know I'm not one of them. I love my ZL1; it's the right car for me. I also am totally stoked about the Z/28. If I lived in a warm weather state and hit the track often, I think I wold choose the Z/28. Since I live in the Detroit area and am about 3 hours from the closest road course my warm weather weekend warrior of choice is the ZL1, and I think it suits me best.

I'm so glad that the fifth gen platform is going to close out with this new beast at the head of the table.
I am hoping we close out the 5th Gen with a limited run of LS9 ZL1s in 2015 I think TEAM Camaro is saying , but I think they will come around

ZL1 is a great all round automobile and incredible daily driver American Muscle Car. The Z/28 is an incredible track car and eXtreme version of a daily driver. They are different cars that stand on their own merits. My personal choice after driving the L/28 would be the LS7 Z/28. It depends on the pricing and availability. My Z/28 would get an intake, cam, heads and headers. Underneath we start with Supercars (Needs Lowering), camber plates and key bushes. I'll need a set of wheel for the daily driver RE-11s.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #12384
Blueclyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am hoping we close out the 5th Gen with a limited run of LS9 ZL1s in 2015 I think TEAM Camaro is saying , but I think they will come around

ZL1 is a great all round automobile and incredible daily driver American Muscle Car. The Z/28 is an incredible track car and eXtreme version of a daily driver. They are different cars that stand on their own merits. My personal choice after driving the L/28 would be the LS7 Z/28. It depends on the pricing and availability. My Z/28 would get an intake, cam, heads and headers. Underneath we start with Supercars (Needs Lowering), camber plates and key bushes. I'll need a set of wheel for the daily driver RE-11s.
Don't get me wrong I would have loved the LS9 but that comes with a cost. It's pretty easy to bridge the 58 HP gap from the LSA to the LS9 without having to worry about putting too much extra on the internals. I can't see the LS9 happening, but I'd be happy to be wrong about that.

As for your personal choice, you don't mess around. I agree on the extra set of wheels and rubber for DD. I was just researching those Trofeos. They have like a 60 treadwear rating and look to be about $550 each. Yeah, I'd say that would be a total waste for street wear. I almost feel that way about my GY's.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #12385
Mr Twisty

Quote:

Really good question. Maybe the Z06 or the Porsche GT3? The new VIPER?
DAYM! When you go hunting you don't mess around!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #12386
JusticePete

Quote:
DAYM! When you go hunting you don't mess around!
Coming in 2nd to automobiles like those is almost as good as

I know how good our cars are. The only think that the Z/28 doesn't do aggressively is ride height. For a factory built car it is LOW!!!! For a Pedders track car it is an inch too high. Drop that sucker another inch and the skid pad results go up while the lap times come down. The negative is inching your way up a driveway almost side ways. If you can just get one wheel up, there is enough flex is the fascia to go 1.25 inches lower

Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #12387
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Any ring time predictions?

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #12388
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Any ring time predictions?

tramtwo posted this on the go
No but I can't wait.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #12389
JusticePete

We all know that the Camaro TEAM has run simulations. They 'know' within a second or two what the Ring time will be. When you get the real Z/28 to the Ring it has to have the right driver. They driver has to be comfortable in a Camaro. Not a Vette, or a CTS-V or a anything else. They have to know the Z/28 and that only comes with seat time. The other factor, and it is no minor factor, is th driver must be intimately familiar with the Ring.

Mark Stielow is hands down the guy with the most seat time in the Z/28. Mark is a highly skilled driver. How much time he has logged at the Ring I don't know, but he would be my choice to find out what the Z/28 has. Then again, John Buttermore has logged some serious time in Pedders Camaro and is no slouch behind the wheel.

I have an idea for a great feature article for one of the top car rags. They should go to the Milfor Proving Grounds some time in 2014. We'll have the CTS-V, Z06 or ZR1 and the Z/28. Then we take the three or four fastest shoes at GM and give them a turn in each of the cars. Average the lap times and crown one of them as THE Fastest Shoe at GM.

Oh yeah, Ring times.

ZR1 7:19
Z06 7:22
Z/28 7:30
ZL1 7:41
Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #12390
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Coming in 2nd to automobiles like those is almost as good as

I know how good our cars are. The only think that the Z/28 doesn't do aggressively is ride height. For a factory built car it is LOW!!!! For a Pedders track car it is an inch too high. Drop that sucker another inch and the skid pad results go up while the lap times come down. The negative is inching your way up a driveway almost side ways. If you can just get one wheel up, there is enough flex is the fascia to go 1.25 inches lower

I never thought to look at the bottom of the splitter on your NO BULL car..... need paint?

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014