Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Alberta_ZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Convertible
Issues trying to burnout in 2015 ZL1 Convertible?

Hey guys, Is there something special I need to know about removing all traction control to do a burnout in the convertible? I tried holding the traction control button down and both lights came in indicating stabiltrac and traction control were off but when I would dump the clutch it seemed like it was in launch control mode and wouldn't spin the tires.

Thanks,

Alex
Alberta_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Joeko23

Drives: None
I believe launch mode is activated only after you floor the gas and rpms stabilize (around 4k). Unless you are doing this I don't think launch mode would be activated. I would depress button until both lights lights up then rev it to without flooring then dump clutch then you can get back on brakes for a standing burnout.
Joeko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
On a 2013, launch mode is activated by pressing the TC button twice quickly.
Then you SLAM the gas pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there.
The engine will pick an appropriate RPM to stabilize at depending on the weather, etc.
Once the engine has stabilized, when you're ready let off the clutch quickly, but don't just dump the clutch.
The car will then launch but it will also try to limit wheel spin.

However it sounds like the OP just wants to smoke the tires.
Press the TC button once. That should turn off traction control but leave the stabilitrack on.
You should then be able to push in the clutch, take it up to around 3k rpm or so, and dump the clutch.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
Alberta_ZL1

Thanks guys. I will give it another shot. I just didn't want to mess up the clutch if there were features I was unaware off.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Convertible ZL1s don't have performance traction management. They have On, Competition Mode and Off. Competition mode is selected by double tapping the traction control button rapidly. Off is achieved by holding the traction control button for seven seconds I believe. Only at that point is the traction control off, and you will be able to burn the tires
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
WYKDZL1

Drives: Ashen gray zl1camaro
You have two options to do a true nasty burnout. As stated earlier hold down the button for 8-10 seconds both traction lights will light up and all nannies will be off. You can also just press the traction control button 1 time this will also allow full burnouts or donuts. If you quickly tap the button twice both lights will turn on but actually the computer will still override you and you will not be able to burnout.
WYKDZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Alberta_ZL1

I wish I wasn't working today
Old 07-30-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
You're only way to do a burnout is to control the rpms, release the clutch pedal quickly and apply the brake... It will smoke the rear tires as long as you hold the brake... Downside is you will be wearing your rear pads and they could get hot enough to start a fire...Also 2nd gear is easier to start the burnout as the torque is reduced...Fine an empty parking lot or seldom used road to practice that will give you space for error...If you really want to do burnouts on a regular basis I would suggest you put a line lock or roll control device on your car... That device locks the front wheels only, doesn't engage the rear brakes and you're only destroying the tires, it's controlled by a button that you can use at anytime and you don't have to be concerned with any performance mode...Less than $200 for a kit and you can install yourself or have it done by a shop...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Get a line lock.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
Alberta_ZL1

Thanks guys, I know how to do a burnout I was just unsure of how to get the baby sitter off so I didn't mess anything up. I will have a look a the line lock kit. I don't plan on tracking the car at all, the burnouts are just because I love burnouts! Any recommendations for where to get the line lock kit?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_ZL1 View Post
Thanks guys, I know how to do a burnout I was just unsure of how to get the baby sitter off so I didn't mess anything up. I will have a look a the line lock kit. I don't plan on tracking the car at all, the burnouts are just because I love burnouts! Any recommendations for where to get the line lock kit?

Thanks
This is what I have.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...5000/overview/
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
ImBrokeAF

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 bone stock 3200 miles. I have owned it a week and I need to get out and play some more but it seems like my car falls on its face burning the tires.

press the button once and apply brake to get the tires roasting. as soon as I release the brake and it starts to get a little unruly, it looses power.

press the button once and from a dead stop, mash the gas and it will burn the tires for a second and then lose power

Do I need to click the button twice or hold it for 7 seconds to do some nasty burnouts.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the lag when I mash it. Seems like it even at speed, it hesitates.
ImBrokeAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #13
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
This...
Attached Images

2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #14
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrokeAF View Post
2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 bone stock 3200 miles. I have owned it a week and I need to get out and play some more but it seems like my car falls on its face burning the tires.

press the button once and apply brake to get the tires roasting. as soon as I release the brake and it starts to get a little unruly, it looses power.

press the button once and from a dead stop, mash the gas and it will burn the tires for a second and then lose power

Do I need to click the button twice or hold it for 7 seconds to do some nasty burnouts.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed in the lag when I mash it. Seems like it even at speed, it hesitates.
As noted by the above poster, that's because you're only shutting off Traction Control, not Stability Control, which is what's cutting your power. You need to HOLD the button for a while.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote