Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
For those with lowered Camaros

I am looking for recommendations on which high temp lube to use on the axle shafts or cv joints since my Camaro is lowered with 1.5" DSE springs. Did any of you change out the lube or did you keep it as is? I was told since the car is lowered more than 1" - it will add stress on them. Is this something I can do on my own easily or will I need a shop to do it?
Attached Images

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 06-26-2018 at 06:41 PM.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Completely unrelated to your question...

But what tire size are you running and what springs do you have?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Completely unrelated to your question...

But what tire size are you running and what springs do you have?

Fronts - 285/35 ZR 20
Rears - 315/35 ZR 20

I have the Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs with the Koni Orange STR.T struts.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Fronts - 285/35 ZR 20
Rears - 315/35 ZR 20

I have the Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs with the Koni Orange STR.T struts.
Any rubbing?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Any rubbing?

None at all.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:47 PM   #6
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Kept mine as is. Lowered with the Eibach Pro + kit.
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’m not certain why this should add stress but I presume it’s added angle. A six-ball Rzeppa type joint like these use can handle more angle in the lower rpm range of an axle shaft. As opposed to many main drivelines that use them. A good high temp, extreme pressure grease should work but...you always risk some incompatibility issues when mixing greases. I can lead to early breakdown.

You’ll have to remove (and probably replace) at least one boot clamp to gain access to fill it. But you may not be talking about adding. I’m of the mind the only ‘right’ way would be to remove the shafts and boots, completely flush the old grease out repack it was a synthetic grease and replace the boots. They’re relatively cheap and are the only defense from external contamination - the death knell for any Rzeppa joint. I’ll try to get a grease part number.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I’m not certain why this should add stress but I presume it’s added angle. A six-ball Rzeppa type joint like these use can handle more angle in the lower rpm range of an axle shaft. As opposed to many main drivelines that use them. A good high temp, extreme pressure grease should work but...you always risk some incompatibility issues when mixing greases. I can lead to early breakdown.

You’ll have to remove (and probably replace) at least one boot clamp to gain access to fill it. But you may not be talking about adding. I’m of the mind the only ‘right’ way would be to remove the shafts and boots, completely flush the old grease out repack it was a synthetic grease and replace the boots. They’re relatively cheap and are the only defense from external contamination - the death knell for any Rzeppa joint. I’ll try to get a grease part number.

Good info. I was told by several people and wasn’t sure. I was also told it was not recommended to go beyond a 1” drop for those reasons alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBB View Post
Kept mine as is. Lowered with the Eibach Pro + kit.

How much of a drop did you go with and how long have you been driving it without the high temp lube recommendation?

Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #10
Moto-Mojo

Man, I’d be curious in the angle difference between stock and your drop. Especially at the wheel. Thinking the angle at the diff would be less. I could be all wet but I can’t believe it’s much. If it were like a degree or two, I’d trust the joints to work just fine. As long as the boots were in good shape.

Remember, this is the same style joint in a FWD car where the steering wheels move left to right all day every day. The OE shafts last a long time unless contaminated. That’s the proverbial shit ton more angle on the joint than a rear wheel moves.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Any angle that the shaft is put through during normal suspension travel will also be okay for it to sit and operate at
Old 06-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Man, I’d be curious in the angle difference between stock and your drop. Especially at the wheel. Thinking the angle at the diff would be less. I could be all wet but I can’t believe it’s much. If it were like a degree or two, I’d trust the joints to work just fine. As long as the boots were in good shape.

Remember, this is the same style joint in a FWD car where the steering wheels move left to right all day every day. The OE shafts last a long time unless contaminated. That’s the proverbial shit ton more angle on the joint than a rear wheel moves.

I was thinking the same. It would make sense that the angle would lessen when the car is dropped somewhat.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I was thinking the same. It would make sense that the angle would lessen when the car is dropped somewhat.

I was out of town when I started this conversation with you, but just got home and looked under my car. My suspension is bone stock with the original Perelli’s that came with the car. The half-shafts travel slightly upward from the diff to the wheel. So if dropping the car lowers the diff, I can see it putting a little more angle at both the inboard and outboard CV’s. But I can’t see where a couple of inches lower would put these joints in any type of a high stress/angle condition. Could a great synthetic grease hurt? No.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Any angle that the shaft is put through during normal suspension travel will also be okay for it to sit and operate at

Unless there is a drastic change in the angle I suppose.