Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #2017
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
Wait ! What ? No Heater ?!?!?

LOL !!! And the irony is that this all started with moving the heater hoses off the top of the engine.

Keep going... This car is going to continue to make a huge impact.
I can't figure out how it came to this level. This car has gotten a life of its own and tells me what to do, LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Not much use for a heater in SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Ever get a cool night after a warm day and see your windshield fog up?
It will be seeing more track duty than anything else so should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Nathan,

Hope you were able to chat with Ofer yesterday. Sorry I kept him on the phone so long lol.

But yea, you don't need to pull the windshield to remove the dash. Al O didn't even believe it when Ofer did camaro2lt's 2012 dash swap in the Fest parking lot last year.

Also, you should chat with Scott and Al at Fest - help them get the Z/28 under 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
You gotta pull the dash to get the heater core out, but the windshield doesn't have to come out to get the dash out. We have done it without glass removal, just have to be careful and it takes a little finagling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
Motivation to install the pile of parts. Thanks Nathan!

If I read right, he has the dash out. He thinks he needs to pull the windshield to remove some of the heater components. Neither makes sense to me, but I've only removed my dash for the HUD DIY (PITA), I haven't ventured into the heater removing.

- Clayton. Official C5Fail4 hater.
Clayton you read right, the dash is out. I just confirmed with Andy from ADM that to remove the carpet and the sub structure behind the dash, the wind shield needs to come off. One of the reasons I'm removing the sub-structure is because the harness that comes out of the passenger side firewall and runs to the fuse box connector is too big to fit through the hole in the firewall. I am putting the fuse box in the glove box and need to bring the harness inside to the interior. I'm hoping once I remove the sub-structure, I can disconnect it from the inside and just be able to pull it out through the engine bay. I'm also shortening it by about 5 feet and re-pinning it which will be a little more weight savings. the other reason is it's also necessary to remove the heater core. If you look at the documentary of when these cars are built, you'll see it all comes in as one piece.

Once I remove the carpet, I will be able to remove the harness that runs to the trunk for the AMP. I'm also rerouting the battery cable to the passenger side. It will come out of the firewall by the starter. This will also allow for additional shortening of the cables and weight savings.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #2018
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Nathan, you going to do the Z/28 thinner rear glass while you're at it?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #2019
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
What is the REASON the windshield needs to come off?

To gain access or to actually be able to pull that substructure?

Please take pics!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #2020
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
Quote:
I don't see how 1mm of glass can be that much of a saving
Old 04-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #2021
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post

Please take pics!
To remove the carpet I believe.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #2022
Moreno1

Quote:
I will eventually do it when it becomes available.

Quote:

Please take pics!
To remove the heater and gain access to the firewall, the substructure has to come off, to remove the substructure, the glass needs to come off. It's like a domino effect, LOL

I will take lots of pics as this is unexplored territory for most. Were I'm going into this Camaro no man has gone before

I even asked Andy (ADM) a question and he said he'd never had gone that deep before! LOL

Quote:
I don't see how 1mm of glass can be that much of a saving
Doesany body know who much the rear glass weigh?

Quote:
To remove the carpet I believe.

That too

RJ, one more day.... the anticipation must be killing you
Old 04-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #2023
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Nathan I don't know if you've seen this thread already but the BMR guys have documented the weights of a lot of things you might be interested in.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...watchers+quest

The advantage of removing weight out of the window glass isn't just the weight, it's also the location which is high above the roll-center of the car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #2024
Synner

Drives: cars
Bust out the credit card:
http://www.chevyhardcore.com/feature...ckout-windows/

http://www.opticarmorwindows.com/
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #2025
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Now THAT is some cool stuff!!! I'm guessing you'll lose about 100 lbs replacing all the glass with their windows? And a complete kit for all windows is about $1,200? That's not bad for losing that much weight, plus it's high up on the car so losing 100 lbs up there helps lower the roll center which improves cornering.

I may have to do this myself for Blue Angel lol. Great, another mod I wasn't planning on spending money on...reading this thread can be hazardous to your credit card.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #2026
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I will eventually do it when it becomes available.

To remove the heater and gain access to the firewall, the substructure has to come off, to remove the substructure, the glass needs to come off. It's like a domino effect, LOL

I will take lots of pics as this is unexplored territory for most. Were I'm going into this Camaro no man has gone before

I even asked Andy (ADM) a question and he said he'd never had gone that deep before! LOL

Doesany body know who much the rear glass weigh?

That too

RJ, one more day.... the anticipation must be killing you
Yep though the tracking number still says its going to PA
Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #2027
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Nathan I don't know if you've seen this thread already but the BMR guys have documented the weights of a lot of things you might be interested in.

The advantage of removing weight out of the window glass isn't just the weight, it's also the location which is high above the roll-center of the car.
You hit the nail on the head there Doc.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #2028
Moreno1

Quote:

Doc that a great thread, thanks for posting!

Quote:
LOL, I guess thats pay back

Quote:
Now THAT is some cool stuff!!! I'm guessing you'll lose about 100 lbs replacing all the glass with their windows? And a complete kit for all windows is about $1,200? That's not bad for losing that much weight, plus it's high up on the car so losing 100 lbs up there helps lower the roll center which improves cornering.

I may have to do this myself for Blue Angel lol. Great, another mod I wasn't planning on spending money on...reading this thread can be hazardous to your credit card.
I agree 100%!!! I can't believe I missed these guys at PRI!

Quote:
Yep though the tracking number still says its going to PA
I just saw that. I called Fed-X and they just hadn't updated their system but it's now in route to you. New delivery date in tomorrow, LOL
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #2029
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:

I would do their rear glass before the Z28 glass, this stuff is cheaper and much lighter. I'd just be hesitant on front and side glass if you daily drive it at all. I don't think it would deal with the up/down of windows very well over time. The coating they have is great but it has its limits. Although I use my windows a lot more than most going through base checkpoints for ID checks. Front glass would probably be fine if you don't drive in inclement weather a lot.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #2030
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
I would do their rear glass before the Z28 glass, this stuff is cheaper and much lighter. I'd just be hesitant on front and side glass if you daily drive it at all. I don't think it would deal with the up/down of windows very well over time. The coating they have is great but it has its limits. Although I use my windows a lot more than most going through base checkpoints for ID checks. Front glass would probably be fine if you don't drive in inclement weather a lot.
I don't drive mine in the rain at all. I have a DD that's my commuter car. I'll have to contact them and find out if they can match the factory tint on the windows, and if they have a solution for the rear defogger grid on the rear window. If this is a truly plug-and-play solution this is VERY attractive. Plus the fact that's it's 250 times stronger than glass means no car thief breaking the glass to gain entry.

Thanks for this link Synner!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM