Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
pnoman

Drives: 2021 ZLE
Hennessey HPE 700?

I was thinking of getting this package installed, anyone have any input?
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
I'd shy away. Research and you'll find out why.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
I was thinking of getting this package installed, anyone have any input?
Do a search for racebum he has the HPE700 pkg car #3 (2012) the car is amazing well worth the $$$ the car hauls ass.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
I'd shy away. Research and you'll find out why.
Other than the price I haven't heard anything negative.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
flyingfortress1944

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would not let hennessey touch my car.
flyingfortress1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Other than the price I haven't heard anything negative.

Look harder

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Beast6162

Drives: '12 Hennessey Vert & '17 50th Vert
I just picked up my 2012 from Hennessey over the weekend. I had them do the HPE600 on my SS. They are a top notch group of people and my car is amazing. They kept me informed at every step and didn't try to upsell anything ( I had questions about suspension and rims and my rep (Mike P)talked me out of the suspension until i was ready to do the rims as well, that is outstanding service not trying to push something just to make a buck. I will be back next year to have them do the suspension and the rims.

I can't say enough good things about them. They certainly exceeded my dreams.

BTW "racebum" talked to me on the phone for about 2 hours a couple of months back talking to him was instrumental in my decision. I researched alot of the different companies and talked to alot of different people about their experiences with each of the big players, in the end Hennessey was my first choice, and will be again on my future cars.

2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible Black, Inferno Orange Synergy stripes
2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible
Beast6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
oldtoad

Drives: Victory Red ZL1
Whats the Basis?

Why do people make negative comments about a business without anything to substantiate the comment? I have had 3 vehicles that they modified and they were all great. Those kind of comments are like flipping someone off and then turning off. Come on!:bs
oldtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
ginsberg2@hotmail.com
Account Suspended

Drives: ls3 camaro
check out jannetty racing for custom deals. mthey build some awesome camaros.
ginsberg2@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoad View Post
Why do people make negative comments about a business without anything to substantiate the comment? I have had 3 vehicles that they modified and they were all great. Those kind of comments are like flipping someone off and then turning off. Come on!:bs
I have no opinion on this matter whatsoever, but this did turn up from a quick search. This is from an article in Autoweek magazine.

According to a lawsuit filed in Salt Lake City, Utah resident Taig Stewart sent his Viper GTS to Hennessey last May for an engine upgrade to 1100 hp along with several other modifications. For that he wire-transferred $142,500 to Hennessey. The lawsuit states the parties agreed the car would be done by mid-July 2001. As of press time the car was still sitting under a tarp in Hennessey’s shop in Houston. Or most of the car, anyway. Stewart’s suit claims Hennessey sold the car’s engine, transmission, wheels, tires and hood. The suit seeks return of the money, the Viper and “no less than $1 million” in punitive damages.

Hennessey claims he’s just slow in getting the work done.

“My side of the story is we’re planning on finishing his car and planning on giving him everything that he paid for,” said Hennessey. As for the parts being sold, “That’s totally false. We’ve got all his parts in the shop except the hood and he wanted to do a lightweight hood.”

Stewart is not the first unsatisfied customer. The longer we dug the more dissatisfaction we found. Here’s a sampling:

On Nov. 14 a New Jersey court entered a final judgement of $133,674 against Hennessey on behalf of Viper owner Gary Dan for a botched conversion.

William Walters said he is out over $22,000 after shipping his Corvette to Hennessey for a head and cam package that was never done; he did have five rods bent and a head gasket damaged on the dyno in Hennessey’s shop during an experiment Hennessey tried with nitrous oxide.

Jerry Johnson said he had to file suit in Placer County Court in California to straighten out registration and engine computer problems on a Viper he bought from Hennessey. n Jon Belinkie said he loves the changes made to his Viper but had to sue in his home state of Maryland, then register the judgement in Texas, to recover overcharges Hennessey made on his American Express card.

Rick Ryan said he had to hound Hennessey for eight months by long distance from Marietta, Georgia, to put the proper wing and stripes on his Viper.

Mark Lublin said he sent his Viper cylinder heads to Hennessey for new valves but when the heads came back he found the “new” valves were actually used; a cam that was delivered to Lublin in a Hennessey box turned out to be a stock Chrysler cam. Lublin was finally refunded $5,715 from American Express but only after nine months of disputing the charge; and he got no money from Hennessey.

Bruce Iannatuono said he ordered $8,500 worth of Hennessey parts for his mechanic in Baltimore to install but was only able to use two-thirds of what was shipped, and then only after haranguing Hennessey for six months on an order that was originally promised in five weeks.

Most of the complaints come from outside Texas. Hennessey, some said, tends to take better care of local customers.

“If you were out of state, man you were fair game,” said Kyle Kent, a former employee at Hennessey Motorsports. When an out-of-state car came in it was sometimes parted out, with the wheels, tires and whatever else looked good going to other cars waiting to be finished or sold outright, according to Kent and others inside Hennessey Motorsports. Then Hennessey would call the car’s owner and try to sell him an upgraded kit. If the customer balked, Hennessey would take parts from other cars in the shop, or just let the job sit.

Kent described one typical disassembly on an out-of-state Viper. “The motor and transmission went into a Durango John was putting together, the brakes went to someone else, the hood went to a guy in Ohio, the rear bumper to South Carolina, man you name it. We had multiple cars like that.”

Another common practice was putting stock parts on what was supposed to be an upgraded car.

“One customer spent $130,000 to $140,000 and that guy thought he had purchased a Venom 650R package which he thought came with the stroker motor,” Kent said. “John told him he was getting a stroker. He was just getting heads and cams.”

Hennessey denies any wrongdoing.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Should definitely make you think twice!!!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
I have no opinion on this matter whatsoever, but this did turn up from a quick search. This is from an article in Autoweek magazine.

According to a lawsuit filed in Salt Lake City, Utah resident Taig Stewart sent his Viper GTS to Hennessey last May for an engine upgrade to 1100 hp along with several other modifications. For that he wire-transferred $142,500 to Hennessey. The lawsuit states the parties agreed the car would be done by mid-July 2001. As of press time the car was still sitting under a tarp in Hennessey’s shop in Houston. Or most of the car, anyway. Stewart’s suit claims Hennessey sold the car’s engine, transmission, wheels, tires and hood. The suit seeks return of the money, the Viper and “no less than $1 million” in punitive damages.

Hennessey claims he’s just slow in getting the work done.

“My side of the story is we’re planning on finishing his car and planning on giving him everything that he paid for,” said Hennessey. As for the parts being sold, “That’s totally false. We’ve got all his parts in the shop except the hood and he wanted to do a lightweight hood.”

Stewart is not the first unsatisfied customer. The longer we dug the more dissatisfaction we found. Here’s a sampling:

On Nov. 14 a New Jersey court entered a final judgement of $133,674 against Hennessey on behalf of Viper owner Gary Dan for a botched conversion.

William Walters said he is out over $22,000 after shipping his Corvette to Hennessey for a head and cam package that was never done; he did have five rods bent and a head gasket damaged on the dyno in Hennessey’s shop during an experiment Hennessey tried with nitrous oxide.

Jerry Johnson said he had to file suit in Placer County Court in California to straighten out registration and engine computer problems on a Viper he bought from Hennessey. n Jon Belinkie said he loves the changes made to his Viper but had to sue in his home state of Maryland, then register the judgement in Texas, to recover overcharges Hennessey made on his American Express card.

Rick Ryan said he had to hound Hennessey for eight months by long distance from Marietta, Georgia, to put the proper wing and stripes on his Viper.

Mark Lublin said he sent his Viper cylinder heads to Hennessey for new valves but when the heads came back he found the “new” valves were actually used; a cam that was delivered to Lublin in a Hennessey box turned out to be a stock Chrysler cam. Lublin was finally refunded $5,715 from American Express but only after nine months of disputing the charge; and he got no money from Hennessey.

Bruce Iannatuono said he ordered $8,500 worth of Hennessey parts for his mechanic in Baltimore to install but was only able to use two-thirds of what was shipped, and then only after haranguing Hennessey for six months on an order that was originally promised in five weeks.

Most of the complaints come from outside Texas. Hennessey, some said, tends to take better care of local customers.

“If you were out of state, man you were fair game,” said Kyle Kent, a former employee at Hennessey Motorsports. When an out-of-state car came in it was sometimes parted out, with the wheels, tires and whatever else looked good going to other cars waiting to be finished or sold outright, according to Kent and others inside Hennessey Motorsports. Then Hennessey would call the car’s owner and try to sell him an upgraded kit. If the customer balked, Hennessey would take parts from other cars in the shop, or just let the job sit.

Kent described one typical disassembly on an out-of-state Viper. “The motor and transmission went into a Durango John was putting together, the brakes went to someone else, the hood went to a guy in Ohio, the rear bumper to South Carolina, man you name it. We had multiple cars like that.”

Another common practice was putting stock parts on what was supposed to be an upgraded car.

“One customer spent $130,000 to $140,000 and that guy thought he had purchased a Venom 650R package which he thought came with the stroker motor,” Kent said. “John told him he was getting a stroker. He was just getting heads and cams.”

Hennessey denies any wrongdoing.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #13
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
Wow... someone should make a whole new thread on just what Hennessey does wrong and shady.. some of that stuff is interesting.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
If you search you'll find plenty of info. On C5 and elsewhere. I can't say if they still do these things or not, but they weren't up to snuff in the past. That is for sure. I know they are capable of making a great car but over the years I've heard to much for me to ever trust them with something of my own. Reputation is everything and once it's tarnished it's hard to polish it clean as new.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote