Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #1
rocknroll_jeph

Drives: 11 Camaro V6 RS, 03 BMW Z4
V6 Rear brake upgrade (with measurements)

So I am on a quest to have the best braking for the least amount of money. When I bought my Camaro I was let down by the suspension and braking, and over the years have been trying to make it fit my needs while using a small budget. As of yesterday I don't think I can get it any better without going to spend a lot of cash.

I have already changed the front calipers to 4 piston Brembo from a Cadillac ATS about one year ago. I read a post on how you can get new calipers for about $250 and other than the banjo bolts everything bolted into place perfectly. And I was pretty happy, but now it is time to the back.

A Camaro5 member was selling his stock brakes from a newer SS for a very reasonable price so I bought the calipers, brake lines and pads from him and took them back to China in my carryon suitcase- that was interesting going through security. They didn't care, but I don't think many people take calipers with them on an airplane. After I got back to Beijing, I bought Stoptech rotors locally through my friend's shop and when they finally arrived my father in law and I and took an afternoon to do the swap.

The most challenging or time consuming thing was trimming down the dust shields. We only had an ancient hacksaw and we were cutting for about an hour. The rest was very straightforward. We jacked up the car, put it on stands, unbolted the original calipers, disconnect the lines (I only spilled a drop or two of brake fluid, I was surprised at my neatness). Then take off the rotors (with T30 torx screw). After that trim the shield, everyone recommends 5/8 so we did that too, then put it all back. I attached the brake lines (I used the stock SS lines) before putting on the rotors. Last, the calipers bolt on where the original calipers went. While the car was up we adjusted the parking brake, bled all the brakes and topped off the DOT-4 fluid and that was it.

After bedding in the rotors I went for a test drive to the mountains just out side of Beijing, I'll put those pictures up on my journal, but my impressions are very positive. With the Cadillac brakes and SS brakes both being 4 pot, I was worried that there may be an unbalance or that the master cylinder couldn't cope, but I was very pleased with the increased performance. I was using stainless steel brake lines and aggressive EBC pads with the original calipers. I am still debating if I want to get stainless and different pads on the rear because right now the balance is perfect. On my drive through the mountains it was like driving nirvana...

The brake pedal feels harder and the brakes are even more responsive. I've driven a stock SS and remember when my V6 had stock brakes and I think that this now out preforms both. I read somewhere because of the V6 being 200lbs lighter it stopped in a shorter distance than an SS, despite the Brembos on the SS.

As for my measurements, I weighed all the components on a luggage scale:

Stock V6 calipers with stainless steel brake lines and newish EBC yellow stuff pads weighed just over 6LBS.

Stock SS calipers with stock brake lines and newish stock pads weighed just over 5LBS

Chinese made (don't know the brand) V6 size drilled and slotted rotors: 16LBS

Stoptech slotted brake rotors for SS 23LBS. Ouch!

My take away is if you are looking for less weight and don't care about stopping- add/ keep the V6 brakes. Better stopping but more weight- SS brakes.

I enjoy wrenching on my car. The weather was great and I spend some time with my father in law and I love the way the brakes feel now, I am very pleased with the results.
Attached Images

rocknroll_jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Nice "Write Up", you could have saved 58 minutes with a SawsAll on those dust shields. I have upgraded as well and I highly recommend getting the SS Master Cylinder. I upgraded about a year after I did the calipers, because I didn't really notice a difference. SS Master cylinder WOW, huge improvement in pedal
feel and stopping power. Swapping Master cylinder is easier than doing One caliper.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eddiefuzz; 09-11-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
rocknroll_jeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Nice "Write Up", you could have saved 58 minutes with a SawsAll on those dust shields. I have upgraded as well and I highly recommend getting the SS Master Cylinder. I upgraded about a year after I did the calipers, because I didn't really notice a difference. SS Master cylinder WOW, huge improvement in peddle feel and stopping power. Swapping Master cylinder is easier than doing One caliper.
Thanks for the reply. If I was in the States getting a sawsall would be easy, but quality power tools are more difficult to find here. Your car looks great by the way, and thanks for the advice and feedback for the master cylinder, looks like I have to do some more work on my car.

Anyone visiting Beijing soon?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
Thanks for the reply. If I was in the States getting a sawsall would be easy, but quality power tools are more difficult to find here. Your car looks great by the way, and thanks for the advice and feedback for the master cylinder, looks like I have to do some more work on my car.

Anyone visiting Beijing soon?
Looks great! I was going to start my Brembo upgrade on Thursday October 19th but just found out the wife has major surgery on October 19th. I have everything needed so I can wait.

From another member I purchased just about a complete setup. I did go out and purchase a new OEM master cylinder, new OEM caliper bolts, OEM crush washer, OEM axle nuts. I have decided to go all the way and replace the rear shields. I got a nice used set out of a salvage yard, sanded them and applied several coats of POR15.

Being retired from the Marine Corps I have the privilege of using the base automotive shop aboard Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, NC. Cost $8.00 per hour for the lift, includes every known tool to man along with all the latest automotive machines such as front end, brake turning, tire mounting, diagnostic, engine rebuild shop and much more. They have a new bleeder machine that does the entire system at one time! Don't even have to pre-bleed the master cylinder!

I had my Brembo calipers powder coated by TPH Coatings. They done a tremendous job, done in Lolly Pop Red with a heavy metallic silver base.

Will attach more pictures when finished.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I have the ss brake kit as well as a ss stick rear diff assy and axles mounted in a rear sub frame. plan on swapping entire assy after install of brakes on my rear sub frame. I will be doing it at home, how high do you think I will have to jack the car up to slide everything in and out?

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #6
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph View Post
So I am on a quest to have the best braking for the least amount of money. When I bought my Camaro I was let down by the suspension and braking, and over the years have been trying to make it fit my needs while using a small budget. As of yesterday I don't think I can get it any better without going to spend a lot of cash.

I have already changed the front calipers to 4 piston Brembo from a Cadillac ATS about one year ago. I read a post on how you can get new calipers for about $250 and other than the banjo bolts everything bolted into place perfectly. And I was pretty happy, but now it is time to the back.

A Camaro5 member was selling his stock brakes from a newer SS for a very reasonable price so I bought the calipers, brake lines and pads from him and took them back to China in my carryon suitcase- that was interesting going through security. They didn't care, but I don't think many people take calipers with them on an airplane. After I got back to Beijing, I bought Stoptech rotors locally through my friend's shop and when they finally arrived my father in law and I and took an afternoon to do the swap.

The most challenging or time consuming thing was trimming down the dust shields. We only had an ancient hacksaw and we were cutting for about an hour. The rest was very straightforward. We jacked up the car, put it on stands, unbolted the original calipers, disconnect the lines (I only spilled a drop or two of brake fluid, I was surprised at my neatness). Then take off the rotors (with T30 torx screw). After that trim the shield, everyone recommends 5/8 so we did that too, then put it all back. I attached the brake lines (I used the stock SS lines) before putting on the rotors. Last, the calipers bolt on where the original calipers went. While the car was up we adjusted the parking brake, bled all the brakes and topped off the DOT-4 fluid and that was it.

After bedding in the rotors I went for a test drive to the mountains just out side of Beijing, I'll put those pictures up on my journal, but my impressions are very positive. With the Cadillac brakes and SS brakes both being 4 pot, I was worried that there may be an unbalance or that the master cylinder couldn't cope, but I was very pleased with the increased performance. I was using stainless steel brake lines and aggressive EBC pads with the original calipers. I am still debating if I want to get stainless and different pads on the rear because right now the balance is perfect. On my drive through the mountains it was like driving nirvana...

The brake pedal feels harder and the brakes are even more responsive. I've driven a stock SS and remember when my V6 had stock brakes and I think that this now out preforms both. I read somewhere because of the V6 being 200lbs lighter it stopped in a shorter distance than an SS, despite the Brembos on the SS.

As for my measurements, I weighed all the components on a luggage scale:

Stock V6 calipers with stainless steel brake lines and newish EBC yellow stuff pads weighed just over 6LBS.

Stock SS calipers with stock brake lines and newish stock pads weighed just over 5LBS

Chinese made (don't know the brand) V6 size drilled and slotted rotors: 16LBS

Stoptech slotted brake rotors for SS 23LBS. Ouch!

My take away is if you are looking for less weight and don't care about stopping- add/ keep the V6 brakes. Better stopping but more weight- SS brakes.

I enjoy wrenching on my car. The weather was great and I spend some time with my father in law and I love the way the brakes feel now, I am very pleased with the results.
Sorry, I am always late to the Party! :-O :-)

I have a few questions to clarify what you did please...

Mine is a 2010 V6 and I have 2010 V8 parts for this project MOD...
  1. V8 365mm diameter rear Rotors fit fine on a V6 that usually takes 315mm rear Rotors? And the hand brake drums also fit fine?
  2. V8 Brembo rear Callipers replace the V6 OEM rear Callipers and fit the V6 wheel hub fine to reach over the V8 365mm rear Rotors?
  3. No need to buy V8 rear dust shields as the V6 rear dust shields can be cut down?

Many thanks for your replies √
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:45 PM   #7
rocknroll_jeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
Sorry, I am always late to the Party! :-O :-)

I have a few questions to clarify what you did please...

Mine is a 2010 V6 and I have 2010 V8 parts for this project MOD...
  1. V8 365mm diameter rear Rotors fit fine on a V6 that usually takes 315mm rear Rotors? And the hand brake drums also fit fine?
  2. V8 Brembo rear Callipers replace the V6 OEM rear Callipers and fit the V6 wheel hub fine to reach over the V8 365mm rear Rotors?
  3. No need to buy V8 rear dust shields as the V6 rear dust shields can be cut down?

Many thanks for your replies √
It was a long time ago that I did that swap and from what I can remember it all went smoothly and straight forward with the parts that I had.

The hand brake works well (it passes inspection every year) and I haven't even adjusted it once since I did the swap.

Most of the information that I used to do the job I researched on this forum, so defiantly look around and read about how others did it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but good luck and I hope that everything works well for you!