Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
That is why we have tested our CAI system so much. Ours is designed with a heat shield which seals to the hood and prevents hot air intrusion into the air induction system and is not subjected to such heat soak as the factory air box. We have done testing with the facotry system in high traffic conditions and with the GM system it takes alot of driving afterwards to bring the air temps back to ambient because of the small hole in the factory air box. Our CAI takes half the time to bring the air back to ambient once driving again to prove that our CAI flows more air and in return makes more power. Hope that helps.

This looks like a well thought out system and comes with a heat sheild and also is placed in a good spot. There are exceptions to what i was saying, great looking and performing CAI
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #30
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
you can see evidence of to support this particular claim on my cars build history...right now on stock airbox I'm putting down 460+rwhp.

Granted...I am waiting on the Vararam product and will install that next...

I agree - 528 rwhp from my car with N/A 427
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #31
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
the only CAI ive seen that wasnt BS was the RAM air box that came on my WS6 stock from the factory. My opinion is this, if they are so great and they are relatively cheap, why doesnt gm just put it on the car to begin with.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
My opinion is this, if they are so great and they are relatively cheap, why doesnt gm just put it on the car to begin with.
Can you get any cheaper than the ugly stock air box? I'll be honest with you. I'll pay a decent amount for an intake that looks good and does not lose me hp. The stock box may be efficient, but I need to have something under the hood
that looks good to.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #33
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
if they are so great and they are relatively cheap, why doesnt gm just put it on the car to begin with.
I often ask the same question about a lot of common inexpensive bolt-on mods that people often seem to believe without decent evidence.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #34
nards444

dont care what it looks like I dont look at it. I was implying this. these CAI's have to be cheap to make, and if they are so great why not put them on at the factory. Ive just heard of way to many go back and forth on these things.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
dont care what it looks like I dont look at it. I was implying this. these CAI's have to be cheap to make, and if they are so great why not put them on at the factory. Ive just heard of way to many go back and forth on these things.
I'm thinking though that the stock box can't be more than these after market products, can they? God, I would hope not.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #36
nards444

probably not just plastic. Even these after market products there isnt much to them, true production cost on these things is low. Sure theres some initial R&D. Everybody and their brother makes them for a reason, I wonder why.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #37
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #38
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
the only CAI ive seen that wasnt BS was the RAM air box that came on my WS6 stock from the factory. My opinion is this, if they are so great and they are relatively cheap, why doesnt gm just put it on the car to begin with.
the Ram air box on the WS6.... wasnt a CAI.

to an extent, the stock air box DOES have its own heat shield, its the box itself. however, the stock air box can be slightly restrictive as you can see in Mlee's photos, the air has to come thru the smaller intake tube, then into the filter housing (box), then on into the engine. another reason why CAI's dont come factory stock is the lack of baffling on a CAI. automotive companies have to keep the stock engine quiet. aftermarket companies dont care if the intake noise is loud. as long as it puts down numbers.

I'm sure you could probably pull the stock filter out and replace it with an open air element filter coming right off the intake tube. but if automotive companies built the car we wanted piece by piece, we wouldnt have a need for the aftermarket, but it would drive the prices of cars thru the roof.

also, GM has their own CAI that you can order to come "stock" with the car.

Quote:
probably not just plastic. Even these after market products there isnt much to them, true production cost on these things is low. Sure theres some initial R&D. Everybody and their brother makes them for a reason, I wonder why.
everybody and their brother makes them because CAI and exhaust are the top two modifications that nearly EVERYONE does. and if it works, dont fix it.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #39
nards444

if the ram air box wasnt CAI what is it, RAM air? I always thought it was CAI. And everybody and brother makes them because they are cheap to make and alot of people pay relatively a lot of money for them compared to actual cost to make them. To me there just isnt solid evidence for them, and if they are great the factory could easily install them. I have heard from people they take stock intakes and modify them by drilling out bigger holes etc out of them.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #40
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
if the ram air box wasnt CAI what is it, RAM air? I always thought it was CAI. And everybody and brother makes them because they are cheap to make and alot of people pay relatively a lot of money for them compared to actual cost to make them. To me there just isnt solid evidence for them, and if they are great the factory could easily install them. I have heard from people they take stock intakes and modify them by drilling out bigger holes etc out of them.
My dads 02 35th Camaro SS MN6 was a ram air and it worked over 60 mph, it was not as good by far as the WS6 version but it is a CAI imho. With just a new air lid and smooth bellows kit and descreened maf it was a nice CAI
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #41
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

its a RAM air intake.

ive already given you reasons as to why they are not included on a stock vehicle. but as I also already said, GM is offering a CAI thru GMPP for this car.

there's a fine line between squeezing out as much power as possible and still keeping the car in the requirements set out by the Govt and the big wigs at the top. there are noise regulations for the intake and exhaust of vehicles.

plus, this car is not being sold solely to performance enthusiasts who want as much power as possible. and in an effort to sell as many Camaros as possible, a cheap, restrictive, baffled, stock intake makes the best sense.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #42
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Another major player with either ram-air or cold-air systems is water ingestion. So non wet location should be part of the package. I remember in the Vette C-5's using a low mounted cold-air inlet while driving through standing water, not runoff, water was ingested into the motor. In extreme cases it could hydrolic/stop the motor.

Has anyone seen the GM Hi Perf intake to be offered soon?
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote